Member

Lightbulb A birthday present...

hihi,
I need for help.

My mummy 's birthday is two weeks later, and i have no idea what birthday present should i give to my mum . During this fews days , i brainstorm some ideas as the present that i give to my mum, such as .....um.um i want to make a birthday cake, or make a special gift,....or handmaking a tissus box, etc.Those ideas are good for present. But i finally decided to make a chocolate birthday cake to my mum, and i asked some of my friends, they said that idea was good , and they sugguestedthat could added some decoration, for example , put some strawberries on the top , add a big words 'Happy Birthday' with white chocolate, etc.
But.....i am worrying about how to make a perfect and beautiful chocolate birthdat cake? I tried to look up all my books about making cake , and i really wanted to make a cake for my mum. Although i have a big idea , and see the reference books, i have no idea how to make it .The big problem is ...i don't have any equipment at home , then how can i make it?

i need for your help!
i want a check list of the equipment that i use to make the birthday cake.
And how much do i need to buy all the equipment , is it expensive, or normal in price?

Please reply !!

Thanks
Vox Humana

"pannie" > wrote in message
news

> hihi,
> I need for help.
>
> My mummy 's birthday is two weeks later, and i have no idea what
> birthday present should i give to my mum . During this fews days , i
> brainstorm some ideas as the present that i give to my mum, such as
> ....um.um i want to make a birthday cake, or make a special
> gift,....or handmaking a tissus box, etc.Those ideas are good for
> present. But i finally decided to make a chocolate birthday cake to my
> mum, and i asked some of my friends, they said that idea was good , and
> they sugguestedthat could added some decoration, for example , put some
> strawberries on the top , add a big words 'Happy Birthday' with white
> chocolate, etc.
> But.....i am worrying about how to make a perfect and beautiful
> chocolate birthdat cake? I tried to look up all my books about making
> cake , and i really wanted to make a cake for my mum. Although i have a
> big idea , and see the reference books, i have no idea how to make it
> The big problem is ...i don't have any equipment at home , then how
> can i make it?
>
> i need for your help!
> i want a check list of the equipment that i use to make the
> birthday cake.
> And how much do i need to buy all the equipment , is it expensive, or
> normal in price?

If you don't know what you are doing you are not going to make "a perfect
and beautiful
chocolate birthday cake." The equipment could be quite expensive.
Furthermore, there are many types of chocolate cakes so it would be
impossible to even start listing ingredients and equipment, let alone trying
to guess how much they would all cost wherever it is that you reside. Also,
we have no idea what "expensive" or "normal price" is. The normal price for
most specialty baking items tends to be expensive, in my opinion. You would
have no problem spending a couple hundred dollars on equipment to make an
elaborate cake. Then there is the question of skill which is something you
can't buy at any price.

I think you have two choices. You can make a less than perfect cake or you
can buy a perfect cake. The second choice would probably be less expensive.

DawnK

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
.. .

> "pannie" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> hihi,
>> I need for help.
>>
>> My mummy 's birthday is two weeks later, and i have no idea what
>> birthday present should i give to my mum . During this fews days , i
>> brainstorm some ideas as the present that i give to my mum, such as
>> ....um.um i want to make a birthday cake, or make a special
>> gift,....or handmaking a tissus box, etc.Those ideas are good for
>> present. But i finally decided to make a chocolate birthday cake to my
>> mum, and i asked some of my friends, they said that idea was good , and
>> they sugguestedthat could added some decoration, for example , put some
>> strawberries on the top , add a big words 'Happy Birthday' with white
>> chocolate, etc.
>> But.....i am worrying about how to make a perfect and beautiful
>> chocolate birthdat cake? I tried to look up all my books about making
>> cake , and i really wanted to make a cake for my mum. Although i have a
>> big idea , and see the reference books, i have no idea how to make it
>> The big problem is ...i don't have any equipment at home , then how
>> can i make it?
>>
>> i need for your help!
>> i want a check list of the equipment that i use to make the
>> birthday cake.
>> And how much do i need to buy all the equipment , is it expensive, or
>> normal in price?
>>

> If you don't know what you are doing you are not going to make "a perfect
> and beautiful
> chocolate birthday cake." The equipment could be quite expensive.
> Furthermore, there are many types of chocolate cakes so it would be
> impossible to even start listing ingredients and equipment, let alone
> trying
> to guess how much they would all cost wherever it is that you reside.
> Also,
> we have no idea what "expensive" or "normal price" is. The normal price
> for
> most specialty baking items tends to be expensive, in my opinion. You
> would
> have no problem spending a couple hundred dollars on equipment to make an
> elaborate cake. Then there is the question of skill which is something
> you
> can't buy at any price.
>
> I think you have two choices. You can make a less than perfect cake or
> you
> can buy a perfect cake. The second choice would probably be less
> expensive.

Buying a cake would be FAR cheaper than buying a Kitchenaid mixer. That is
for sure! Rubber scrapers and cake pans aren't that expensive, but if you
don't even have a mixer, forget it. You CAN mix a cake by hand, but it
would be hard to mix the cake batter as hard as you need to, to make it nice
and fluffy. (oh, and with a Kitchenaid, you can definitely overmix and make
a tough cake. I did once. ugh. I learned to stop following recipe
instructions and learned to watch what my batter looks like and stopping at
a certain point!)

Dawn

Sis

"DawnK" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "pannie" > wrote in message
>> news

> Buying a cake would be FAR cheaper than buying a Kitchenaid mixer. That
> is for sure! Rubber scrapers and cake pans aren't that expensive, but if
> you don't even have a mixer, forget it. You CAN mix a cake by hand, but
> it would be hard to mix the cake batter as hard as you need to, to make it
> nice and fluffy. (oh, and with a Kitchenaid, you can definitely overmix
> and make a tough cake. I did once. ugh. I learned to stop following
> recipe instructions and learned to watch what my batter looks like and
> stopping at a certain point!)
>
> Dawn

Dawn, don't laugh, but I didn't realize you could overmix and make a tough
cake. Maybe that's why my cakes don't rise very well. no one ever told me
that. I thought that the longer you mix the batter,the more air you
incorporate,the fluffier it would be. I followed my Kitchenaid mixer
instructions also. Thanks so much! How will I know how long to mix the
batter? Thanks for any advice. Sis

DawnK

"Sis" > wrote in message

> "DawnK" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> "pannie" > wrote in message
>>> news

>> Buying a cake would be FAR cheaper than buying a Kitchenaid mixer. That
>> is for sure! Rubber scrapers and cake pans aren't that expensive, but if
>> you don't even have a mixer, forget it. You CAN mix a cake by hand, but
>> it would be hard to mix the cake batter as hard as you need to, to make
>> it nice and fluffy. (oh, and with a Kitchenaid, you can definitely
>> overmix and make a tough cake. I did once. ugh. I learned to stop
>> following recipe instructions and learned to watch what my batter looks
>> like and stopping at a certain point!)
>>
>> Dawn

> Dawn, don't laugh, but I didn't realize you could overmix and make a tough
> cake. Maybe that's why my cakes don't rise very well. no one ever told me
> that. I thought that the longer you mix the batter,the more air you
> incorporate,the fluffier it would be. I followed my Kitchenaid mixer
> instructions also. Thanks so much! How will I know how long to mix the
> batter? Thanks for any advice. Sis

Well, that one time, I followed the recipe's instruction to the letter,
mixed it slow for the 30 seconds and then on medium, or whatever for like 2
minutes. The Kitchenaid is so efficient in mixing the batter that I didn't
need the whole 2 minutes, or so, for the task. So, now I mix it until it
looks like the ingredients are all incorporated. So, when it looks smooth
and like it has a uniform texture, then I stop. It doesn't take nearly 2
minutes for that to happen.

Dawn

Sis

"DawnK" > wrote in message

> "Sis" > wrote in message
>>
>> "DawnK" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Buying a cake would be FAR cheaper than buying a Kitchenaid mixer. That
>>> is for sure! Rubber scrapers and cake pans aren't that expensive, but
>>> if you don't even have a mixer, forget it. You CAN mix a cake by hand,
>>> but it would be hard to mix the cake batter as hard as you need to, to
>>> make it nice and fluffy. (oh, and with a Kitchenaid, you can definitely
>>> overmix and make a tough cake. I did once. ugh. I learned to stop
>>> following recipe instructions and learned to watch what my batter looks
>>> like and stopping at a certain point!)
>>>
>>> Dawn

>> Dawn, don't laugh, but I didn't realize you could overmix and make a
>> tough cake. Maybe that's why my cakes don't rise very well. no one ever
>> told me that. I thought that the longer you mix the batter,the more air
>> you incorporate,the fluffier it would be. I followed my Kitchenaid mixer
>> instructions also. Thanks so much! How will I know how long to mix the
>> batter? Thanks for any advice. Sis
>>

> Well, that one time, I followed the recipe's instruction to the letter,
> mixed it slow for the 30 seconds and then on medium, or whatever for like
> 2 minutes. The Kitchenaid is so efficient in mixing the batter that I
> didn't need the whole 2 minutes, or so, for the task. So, now I mix it
> until it looks like the ingredients are all incorporated. So, when it
> looks smooth and like it has a uniform texture, then I stop. It doesn't
> take nearly 2 minutes for that to happen.
> Dawn

Thanks, Dawn. Sis