Default Rec needed re stainless steel chopsticks

Has anyone tried the Joyce Chen chopsticks available only by mail
order? They look thicker and rounder than the flat angular Korean
chopsticks I can get at the Korean supermarket. I'd like to try out
the Chen chopsticks. The plastic (no, not IVORY) Chinese ones feel
right but I hate the material. I'm worried that the Korean ones feel
too pinny.

sanne

Hi!

> I'm worried that the Korean ones feel too pinny.

You'll get used to them. They're not used to "shovel" food into your
mouth, but to take precisely one bite. For rice (and soup, of course
;-D) you have your matching spoon.

Bye, Sanne.

sanne wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I'm worried that the Korean ones feel too pinny.

> You'll get used to them. They're not used to "shovel" food into your
> mouth, but to take precisely one bite. For rice (and soup, of course
> ;-D) you have your matching spoon.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Yeah, thanks to helpful Koreans I know that the matching spoon is for
delivering rice and to not pick up the rice bowl (which you do have to
do in Chinese and Japanese meals, right?) I stirred towards those
metal bowls with lids but my Korean/Japanese rice never comes out
properly. Also, I was advised against getting Asian made beaten metal
cookware because of microscopic flaking that eats into your system that
was in an Australian news expose a few years ago.

In New York, the prices for the absolutely basic Korean steel
chopsticks are 99 cents each or 10 (5 pairs) for $7.99 at local Korean
supermarkets(plural - yes, I checked.) A set of spoon and chopsticks is
typically $2.49. The steel chopsticks are very strong and unbendy.
Tableware designs start getting sweet in a Yellow Handkerchief way as
prices go up. The pricier stuff will definitely go over big in Chinese
Asia with the success of tv drama Jewel in the Palace. I want to
switch because my plastic ones make me uneasy so even if metal
chopsticks are not feng shui approved (I have no idea), I still have to
make this switch.

The hollow Joyce Chen 9 inches are about $10 for 5 pairs plus shipping.
There is also an 11 inch type from Joyce Chen.

Japanese long cooking chopsticks with a plastic handle are $8.95 from
House of Rice.

Alai

"sanne" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi!
>
>> I'm worried that the Korean ones feel too pinny.

> You'll get used to them. They're not used to "shovel" food into your
> mouth, but to take precisely one bite. For rice (and soup, of course
> ;-D) you have your matching spoon.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

I was born and raised in Korea myself. Hi Sanne, we meet again, hehe.

Anyways, what's so good about Korean metal chopsticks? I thought they were
just terrible to get used to when I was young, and got me to use it the
"wrong" way(scissorlike). Thank god I got to use it "right" way later. It
was also very slippery when eating noodles. My mom swears by it, but I'd
stick to wooden or light ivory ones anytime.

Alai wrote:
> "sanne" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi!
> >
> >> I'm worried that the Korean ones feel too pinny.

> > You'll get used to them. They're not used to "shovel" food into your
> > mouth, but to take precisely one bite. For rice (and soup, of course
> > ;-D) you have your matching spoon.
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.

> I was born and raised in Korea myself. Hi Sanne, we meet again, hehe.
>
> Anyways, what's so good about Korean metal chopsticks? I thought they were
> just terrible to get used to when I was young, and got me to use it the
> "wrong" way(scissorlike). Thank god I got to use it "right" way later. It
> was also very slippery when eating noodles. My mom swears by it, but I'd
> stick to wooden or light ivory ones anytime.

the wood or bamboo ones will allow bacteria to embed (plus I couldn't
find any and I'm now afraid of lacquer coating) and the light ivory
ones are either a wrong against elephants or actually plastic that may
b toxic!
My hand cramped and even though we are not used to the look of them -
we are not Korean after all - we are going to have them as the
standard.

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Alai wrote:
>> "sanne" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Hi!

>> > You'll get used to them. They're not used to "shovel" food into your
>> > mouth, but to take precisely one bite. For rice (and soup, of course
>> > ;-D) you have your matching spoon.
>> >
>> > Bye, Sanne.

>> I was born and raised in Korea myself. Hi Sanne, we meet again, hehe.
>>
>> Anyways, what's so good about Korean metal chopsticks? I thought they
>> were
>> just terrible to get used to when I was young, and got me to use it the
>> "wrong" way(scissorlike). Thank god I got to use it "right" way later.
>> It
>> was also very slippery when eating noodles. My mom swears by it, but I'd
>> stick to wooden or light ivory ones anytime.

> the wood or bamboo ones will allow bacteria to embed (plus I couldn't
> find any and I'm now afraid of lacquer coating) and the light ivory
> ones are either a wrong against elephants or actually plastic that may
> b toxic!
> My hand cramped and even though we are not used to the look of them -
> we are not Korean after all - we are going to have them as the
> standard.

Your worries about wood chopsticks are just plain silly. A good washing
kills any bacteria. We put ours in the dishwasher and they last thru many
dozens of washings. Wood - actually bamboo - provides the right surface
texture to hang onto food. The ivory or plastic ones are pretty but hard to
use. The idea of using metal chopsticks is revolting to me. I know that
seems strange since metal forks etc. are the norm, but that's the way it
seems.

--
Peter Aitken

I disagree though I realize how bad ie. overly concerned my posts
appear and that some readers will find it tedious to read. I believe
there is a connection between people living longer as our scientific
awareness grows.

Bacteria linked to stomach cancer

The Yomiuri Shimbun

The elimination of Helicobacter pylori from the stomach decreases the
risk of people with gastric or duodenal ulcers developing stomach
cancer, according to the findings of a research group led by a
Hiroshima City Hospital doctor.

The findings were revealed in this month's issue of Gastroenterology,
the journal of the American Gastroenterological Association.

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria believed to cause gastric or duodenal
ulcers. It is treated with antibiotics and other medicines.

The research group, led by Motoo Mizuno, head of the hospital's
endoscopy department, studied 1,120 patients with gastric or duodenal
ulcers and prescribed treatment to eliminate the bacteria for an
average of three years and five months. The group conducted annual
endoscopies on the patients to determine the percentage of those who
developed cancer.

As a result of the examination, of 944 patients who were successfully
treated for the bacteria, eight developed stomach cancer. Of 176 whose
treatment failed, four developed the disease.

The incidence of stomach cancer among those who were successfully
treated for Helicobacter pylori was 1.2 percent, while the incidence
among those whose treatment failed was 3.8 percent.

The World Health Organization says Helicobacter pylori is carcinogenic.
But no research has proven that the elimination of the bacteria can
prevent stomach cancer from developing.

The research team admitted the method of the study did not prove beyond
doubt the treatment's effectiveness in eliminating Helicobacter pylori.

But Mizuno said: "We believe if we can eliminate Helicobacter pylori at
an early stage, it's highly likely that the development of stomach
cancer can be prevented.

But it's impossible to completely prevent the development of cancer, so
it's important for people to receive periodic checkups."

About 80 percent of Japanese aged 50 or older are infected with
Helicobacter pylori. About 5 percent to 6 percent of them are believed
likely to develop gastric and duodenal ulcers.

Prof. Kentaro Sugano of Jichi Medical School said 50,000 Japanese died
of stomach cancer every year, making it the second-most deadly cancer
in Japan.

"The study indicates that the elimination of Helicobacter pylori is
likely to dramatically reduce the number of deaths from stomach
cancer," he said.

I miss the bamboo chopsticks that we used to have but I don't trust the
new manufactures from China and I believe that the ones from Japan may
actually be made in China. I touched my teeth with the metal
chopsticks yesterday when I was delivering rice into my mouth and the
sensation was horrible.

I disagree though I realize how bad ie. overly concerned my posts
appear and that some readers will find it tedious to read. I believe
there is a connection between people living longer as our scientific
awareness grows. Here is an example of how we know more now (but fear
of this is not why I am thinking about chopsticks):

[...]

How long do people use soft or hard wood or bamboo chopsticks? Can
they be used indefinitely? When would you discard them?

ww

Donald Tsang

>How long do people use soft or hard wood or bamboo chopsticks? Can
>they be used indefinitely? When would you discard them?

We use our bamboo chopsticks until they start discoloring badly (or
until my wife says "let's change them", whichever comes first). At
99 cents for a ten pairs, it's not a big deal to throw out twenty
pair every three to six months.

We have some wooden chopsticks (not sure if they're soft- or hardwood),
which cost about three times as much (!), and basically only use them
for cooking.

We run our dishwasher on "extra hot wash", and place our chopsticks (both
kinds) on the top rack in a single layer (with other dishes above
that, often). Never had a problem.

Donald

Thanks, Donald. They usually say not to put such things as wood into
the dishwasher, but you've had no problems, extra hot, too. The wood
doesn't warp at all?

ww

Donald Tsang

>Thanks, Donald. They usually say not to put such things as wood into
>the dishwasher, but you've had no problems, extra hot, too. The wood
>doesn't warp at all?

With things like wooden spoons, always put the concave-side down, of
course. And i'm sure the dishwasher does cut down on the life of
bamboo and wooden chopsticks by some amount, compared to hand-washing.

But it's a dollar for ten pair, which last at least four months on
extra-hot wash. Three dollars for the wooden ones. Who cares?

Donald
Peter Dy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I miss the bamboo chopsticks that we used to have but I don't trust the
> new manufactures from China

Yeah, the Chinese just have so little experience in dealing with bamboo.
Lol. What a stupid post.

Peter

Peter Dy wrote: Just wash the new chopsticks...

Yes, that sounds like the thing to do all right!

Back to GG's original post...I think this might be what you're looking
for:

http://everythingchopsticks.com/item...-Chinese-Chops

What does "pinny" mean anyway? I like Korean chopsticks, too. Never
tried these Chinese stainless steel chopsticks, but they look excellent
- maybe a bit slippery, like plastic sticks. The Korean sticks, being
narrow and angular, have a good grip, plus some are grooved.

ww

Dan Logcher

> Peter Dy wrote: Just wash the new chopsticks...
>
> Yes, that sounds like the thing to do all right!
>
> Back to GG's original post...I think this might be what you're looking
> for:

http://everythingchopsticks.com/item...-Chinese-Chops

> What does "pinny" mean anyway? I like Korean chopsticks, too. Never
> tried these Chinese stainless steel chopsticks, but they look excellent
> - maybe a bit slippery, like plastic sticks. The Korean sticks, being
> narrow and angular, have a good grip, plus some are grooved.

I have some Jade chopsticks.. don't think I'd want to use them. More of
a decorative piece.

I have a bunch of the Thai chopsticks that a friend brought back from
Thailand. Very nice, and we do use them.

--
Dan

"Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)" >
wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
> > []
> > I have a bunch of the Thai chopsticks that a friend brought back from
> > Thailand. Very nice, and we do use them.

> Were not only spoon and fork used in Thailand ?

The fork is generally used as a 'pusher', the spoon for the eating.
Thais use chopsticks for noodle dishes.

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel T Blake General Cooking 36 30-05-2014 08:43 PM
Stainless Steel DGD Barbecue 8 03-05-2007 05:12 PM
Rec needed re stainless steel chopsticks [email protected] Asian Cooking 26 22-06-2005 11:56 PM
Stainless steel Ruddell General Cooking 10 12-01-2005 08:34 AM
Stainless steel Ruddell General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 12:39 AM