JohnShap

Default Risotto in the microwave - REC

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> microwave, I am posting this recipe from Microwave Gourmet by Barbara
> Kafka. Please note the following:

I was following the other thread and I admit that I am a skeptic when it
comes to using the MW for many things. In reading this recipe, I note that
the total cooking time, including resting, is 33 minutes, 45 if using the
small oven variant. There are also at least 6 places where the cooking is
"interrupted" to add things or stir ("Add onions...Add rice...Stir in
broth...Stir well...add 1/4c...stirring several times...Stir in salt...").
More, I'd assume, if you notice that the liquid is disappearing faster than
anticipated or if the oven has noticable hot spots that need evening out. I
just don't see the time or energy (in terms of physical work, not fossil
fuels) savings here. I am not doubting that a creditable risotto can be
prepared, but I think it would be just as easy to keep one pot on the stove
and give it occasional stirrings as you go about preparing the rest of your
meal. I have found that risotto doesn't require the constant, non-stop
stirring that many methods call for. A few good mixings as broth is added,
a couple more between additions to keep things from sticking and to judge
the consistency and you are good to go. Since I don't leave the kitchen
while I am preparing a meal anyway, keeping a wooden spoon in the pot and
giving a few swipes as meat sautees or roasts or the veggies steam isn't a
big deal. Thanks for sharing the recipe - I will give it a try sometime.

John

JohnShap

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> microwave, I am posting this recipe from Microwave Gourmet by Barbara
> Kafka. Please note the following:

I was following the other thread and I admit that I am a skeptic when it
comes to using the MW for many things. In reading this recipe, I note that
the total cooking time, including resting, is 33 minutes, 45 if using the
small oven variant. There are also at least 6 places where the cooking is
"interrupted" to add things or stir ("Add onions...Add rice...Stir in
broth...Stir well...add 1/4c...stirring several times...Stir in salt...").
More, I'd assume, if you notice that the liquid is disappearing faster than
anticipated or if the oven has noticable hot spots that need evening out. I
just don't see the time or energy (in terms of physical work, not fossil
fuels) savings here. I am not doubting that a creditable risotto can be
prepared, but I think it would be just as easy to keep one pot on the stove
and give it occasional stirrings as you go about preparing the rest of your
meal. I have found that risotto doesn't require the constant, non-stop
stirring that many methods call for. A few good mixings as broth is added,
a couple more between additions to keep things from sticking and to judge
the consistency and you are good to go. Since I don't leave the kitchen
while I am preparing a meal anyway, keeping a wooden spoon in the pot and
giving a few swipes as meat sautees or roasts or the veggies steam isn't a
big deal. Thanks for sharing the recipe - I will give it a try sometime.

John

Vox Humana

"JohnShap" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > microwave, I am posting this recipe from Microwave Gourmet by Barbara
> > Kafka. Please note the following:
> >

> I was following the other thread and I admit that I am a skeptic when it
> comes to using the MW for many things. In reading this recipe, I note

that
> the total cooking time, including resting, is 33 minutes, 45 if using the
> small oven variant. There are also at least 6 places where the cooking is
> "interrupted" to add things or stir ("Add onions...Add rice...Stir in
> broth...Stir well...add 1/4c...stirring several times...Stir in salt...").
> More, I'd assume, if you notice that the liquid is disappearing faster

than
> anticipated or if the oven has noticable hot spots that need evening out.

> just don't see the time or energy (in terms of physical work, not fossil
> fuels) savings here. I am not doubting that a creditable risotto can be
> prepared, but I think it would be just as easy to keep one pot on the

stove
> and give it occasional stirrings as you go about preparing the rest of

your
> meal. I have found that risotto doesn't require the constant, non-stop
> stirring that many methods call for. A few good mixings as broth is

added,
> a couple more between additions to keep things from sticking and to judge
> the consistency and you are good to go. Since I don't leave the kitchen
> while I am preparing a meal anyway, keeping a wooden spoon in the pot and
> giving a few swipes as meat sautees or roasts or the veggies steam isn't a
> big deal. Thanks for sharing the recipe - I will give it a try sometime.

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto" being
prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making no claims
that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker method requires
little supervision.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...cooker+risotto

JohnShap

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

>> Not wanting to add fuel to the fire,

Now risotto cooked over an open wood fire pit - that's old school, baby!

Karen Wheless

> Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto" being
> prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making no claims
> that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker method requires
> little supervision.

I make mine in the pressure cooker. It's not quite the same as
traditional risotto, but it's very good and you don't have to stand over
it. A couple of minutes of sauteeing to coat the rice with oil, then
add the stock and cook under pressure for about 10 minutes.

When I make risotto, I generally fix it with something that doesn't
require cooking, or just add some cooked chicken and vegetables to the
risotto and make a one-dish supper, so standing over a pan for 20-30
minutes is unappealing when I'm not doing anything else in the kitchen
at the same time. So pressure cooker risotto is great for me.

This recipe for pressure cooker risotto came with my pressure cooker,
which is an electric model. It would probably be slightly different in
a standard stovetop pressure cooker.

Karen

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Pressure Cooker Risotto

Recipe By: Farberware
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Grains

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
2 1/4 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
pepper

Place removable pot in the pressure cooker. Add butter. Press the COOK
MODE button for BROWN. Press the START/STOP button.

Add the chopped onion and saute until soft. Add the rice and saute 2
minutes. Pour in the stock and stir to mix. Place lid on pressure
cooker. Slide the safety lock to LOCK position.

Turn the pressure regulator knob to PRESSURE. Press the PRESSURE MODE
button for HIGH PRESSURE. Press COOK TIME button until 7 minutes
appears on the display. Press the START/STOP button and hold until the
green indicator light appears.

The red high pressure indicator light will blink slowly and then faster
as the cooking countdown begins. The pressure indicator will rice as
the pressure builds. After cooking under pressure 7 minutes, the
pressure cooker will beep three times. Press and hold the STOP/START
button until the red indicator light illuminates.

Immediately press and hold down the quick release button. Steam will
emit from the steam release valve. Slide the safety lock to the unlock
position and remove the lid.

Stir in parmesan and pepper to taste.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 May 2005 03:19:27p, Karen Wheless wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> I make mine in the pressure cooker. It's not quite the same as
> traditional risotto, but it's very good and you don't have to stand over
> it. A couple of minutes of sauteeing to coat the rice with oil, then
> add the stock and cook under pressure for about 10 minutes.
>
> When I make risotto, I generally fix it with something that doesn't
> require cooking, or just add some cooked chicken and vegetables to the
> risotto and make a one-dish supper, so standing over a pan for 20-30
> minutes is unappealing when I'm not doing anything else in the kitchen
> at the same time. So pressure cooker risotto is great for me.
>
> This recipe for pressure cooker risotto came with my pressure cooker,
> which is an electric model. It would probably be slightly different in
> a standard stovetop pressure cooker.

Karen, what do you find is the major difference between risotto cooked in
the pressure cooker and the traditional top of stove method? Also, do you
know how many pounds pressure you cooker is at when set to high?

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Karen Wheless

> Karen, what do you find is the major difference between risotto cooked in
> the pressure cooker and the traditional top of stove method? Also, do you
> know how many pounds pressure you cooker is at when set to high?

I've only had traditionally prepared risotto a couple of times, but the
pressure cooker kind is a bit stickier. And since the pressure cooker
is closed, you can't make fine adjustments - sometimes it's a bit soupy
when it's finished, it doesn't always come out exactly the same. But
the texture is nice and creamy - and I doubt I'd prepare risotto as
often if I had to do it the old fashioned way.

I'm not sure how many pounds of pressure my cooker uses on high. The
instruction manual doesn't say. It has high and low settings, but
nothing more specific.

Karen
pltrgyst

On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:18:36 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto" being
>prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making no claims
>that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker method requires
>little supervision.

If you're really in a hurry, you can make authentic risotto using a
wok atop an outdoor deep-fried turkey burner, at 50K btu or so, in 30
seconds or less. It gets a little tricky, though, since you only have
about a 0.5 second window to add each half-cup of stock. And some find
the dark brown color distasteful.

But other than that, it's just like traditional risotto. 8

-- Larry

Vox Humana

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:18:36 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto" being
> >prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making no

claims
> >that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker method requires
> >little supervision.

> If you're really in a hurry, you can make authentic risotto using a
> wok atop an outdoor deep-fried turkey burner, at 50K btu or so, in 30
> seconds or less. It gets a little tricky, though, since you only have
> about a 0.5 second window to add each half-cup of stock. And some find
> the dark brown color distasteful.
>
> But other than that, it's just like traditional risotto. 8

You can reduce that to 12 seconds if you have access to a nuclear reactor.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 28 May 2005 07:27:01a, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:18:36 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto"
>> >being prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making
>> >no claims that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker
>> >method requires little supervision.

>> If you're really in a hurry, you can make authentic risotto using a
>> wok atop an outdoor deep-fried turkey burner, at 50K btu or so, in 30
>> seconds or less. It gets a little tricky, though, since you only have
>> about a 0.5 second window to add each half-cup of stock. And some find
>> the dark brown color distasteful.
>>
>> But other than that, it's just like traditional risotto. 8
>>

> You can reduce that to 12 seconds if you have access to a nuclear
> reactor.

Why not just eat it raw and be done with it?!?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 28 May 2005 07:27:01a, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:18:36 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto"
>> >being prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making
>> >no claims that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker
>> >method requires little supervision.

>> If you're really in a hurry, you can make authentic risotto using a
>> wok atop an outdoor deep-fried turkey burner, at 50K btu or so, in 30
>> seconds or less. It gets a little tricky, though, since you only have
>> about a 0.5 second window to add each half-cup of stock. And some find
>> the dark brown color distasteful.
>>
>> But other than that, it's just like traditional risotto. 8
>>

> You can reduce that to 12 seconds if you have access to a nuclear
> reactor.

Why not just eat it raw and be done with it?!?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
KLS

On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:14:54 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:18:36 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>wrote:
>
>>Not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but I have heard of "risotto" being
>>prepared in a pressure cooker. I haven't tried it and am making no claims
>>that it is "real risotto." However, the pressure cooker method requires
>>little supervision.

>If you're really in a hurry, you can make authentic risotto using a
>wok atop an outdoor deep-fried turkey burner, at 50K btu or so, in 30
>seconds or less. It gets a little tricky, though, since you only have
>about a 0.5 second window to add each half-cup of stock. And some find
>the dark brown color distasteful.
>
>But other than that, it's just like traditional risotto. 8

Funny. What *I'd* do, using the same equipment, is to add a 20-qt
stock pot in the middle (right above the burner and under the risotto
pot) to boil my wort for making beer. Yes, I'm looking for an excuse
to get back into homebrewing.