Randall Nortman

Default Waterproof instant-read thermometers

I'm in search of a digital instant-read thermometer that won't
crap out on me if the electronics get wet, as my current one has. In
fact, I want one that I can really abuse, because cooking can be
pretty messy. I killed mine by accidentally dipping it in the
chocolate I was tempering. My requirements:

- Less than $25 (US)
- Water and steam resistant (dishwasher safe would be nice)
OR: Separate probe and electronics, to keep the electronics out of
harm's way
- Fast response (10 seconds or better)
- Temp range of 32-350F (0-180C) or better
- Easily switchable between Fahrenheit and Celsius
- 1/10 degree display, +/-2F (+/- 1C) accuracy or better
- Recalibratable (with ice bath and/or boiling water) is highly
desirable but not strictly required

I've found several possibilities:

Taylor 9842 Professional Waterproof Digital Thermometer
Doesn't seem to be on Taylor's website
$16 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00009WE45

MIU France Waterproof Instant-Read Digital Thermometer
Looks like a clone of the Taylor 9842; possibly same unit just
rebranded, but it's hard to say for sure. (Look at the pics of each)
$10 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0000DZDFO

CDN DTQ350 ProAccurate Stainless Digital Thermometer
Claims to be dishwasher safe; less range than 9842
Anybody know anything about this manufacturer?
$20 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00064BCPM
or http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00030B29A

Cooper-Atkins DPP400W Waterproof Digital Pen-Style Thermometer
Better documentation/specs available online than other brands
Manufacturer spec: http://www.cooper-atkins.com/Products_Detail.asp?PI=778
$22 at Instawares:
http://www.instawares.com/Digital-Po...3-0706.0.7.htm

Incidentally, the model I managed to ruin was purchased at Target,
branded as a "Taylor TruTemp", but I suspect Taylor had nothing to do
with its manufacture. It's model 3519 and has a -40-450F (-40-230C)
range. There's not information about this model on Taylor's web
site.

Does anybody know anything about these models or have other
suggestions?

TIA,

--
Randall Nortman