Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Blow torch

I'm thinking of getting a blow torch to do crème brulee, peel capsicums etc.
Is it worth having one? Are they easy to use? How do you use them in the
kitchen without setting fire to half the benches?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Viviane wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a blow torch to do crème brulee, peel
> capsicums etc. Is it worth having one? Are they easy to use? How do
> you use them in the kitchen without setting fire to half the benches?

Worth it if you use it as stated

Yes. You squeeze the trigger

You stay sober and watch what you are doing. The flame only goes a few
inches.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking of getting a blow torch to do crème brulee, peel capsicums
> etc. Is it worth having one? Are they easy to use? How do you use them
> in the kitchen without setting fire to half the benches?

On Saturday or Sunday this week on a PBS station there was a Julia Child and
Jacques Pepin "oldie" entitled "Creamy Desserts."

You may still be able to catch this program coming up in your area (if you
are in U.S.).

They were (and specifically, Julia) was doing the firing -- she was not
exactly young in this episode -- it was a BIG torch :-))

Dee Dee