Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Faberware 21" Electric Griddle?

My 19-yo Faberware Electric Griddle finally gave up its ghost in a dramatic
way: A snap, a crack, and a pop of smoke.

This was a workhorse appliance and I would very much like to replace it with
a similar quality griddle. I have two stove-top griddles already (one from
Lodge and another from KitchenAid) that, while good, do not provide the same
quality output that the Faberware did.

I turn to you august members and ask, hat in hand, for any recommendations.
I did find one from Williams Sonoma
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5594130/?pkey=x|4|1||4|electric%20griddle||0&cm_src=SCH

[or if that link breaks
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y92d99v
]

but at $299 (online) and $325 (instore), it's too expensive. I was hoping
for something significantly less-expensive, without a backsplash
(unnecessary), dual controls, a large working surface (21" X 12" is a
comfortable size), and able to be immersed for cleaning.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.equipment

The Ranger wrote:
> My 19-yo Faberware Electric Griddle finally gave up its ghost in a dramatic
> way: A snap, a crack, and a pop of smoke.

> but at $299 (online) and $325 (instore), it's too expensive. I was hoping
> for something significantly less-expensive, without a backsplash
> (unnecessary), dual controls, a large working surface (21" X 12" is a
> comfortable size), and able to be immersed for cleaning.

Cook's Illustrated has done a review of electric griddles -
<http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=18264&Extcode=L0AN1AA00>
Posted to rec.food.equipment

We bought the Cuisinart one a couple of months ago and it's been great:
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

I note that it is cheaper in the US than Australia - such is life!

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> My 19-yo Faberware Electric Griddle finally gave up its ghost in a
> dramatic way: A snap, a crack, and a pop of smoke.
>
> This was a workhorse appliance and I would very much like to replace it
> with a similar quality griddle. I have two stove-top griddles already (one
> from Lodge and another from KitchenAid) that, while good, do not provide
> the same quality output that the Faberware did.
>
> I turn to you august members and ask, hat in hand, for any
> recommendations. I did find one from Williams Sonoma
> http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5594130/?pkey=x|4|1||4|electric%20griddle||0&cm_src=SCH
>
> [or if that link breaks
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y92d99v
> ]
>
> but at $299 (online) and $325 (instore), it's too expensive. I was hoping
> for something significantly less-expensive, without a backsplash
> (unnecessary), dual controls, a large working surface (21" X 12" is a
> comfortable size), and able to be immersed for cleaning.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> My 19-yo Faberware Electric Griddle finally gave up its ghost in a
> dramatic way: A snap, a crack, and a pop of smoke.
>
> This was a workhorse appliance and I would very much like to replace it
> with a similar quality griddle. I have two stove-top griddles already (one
> from Lodge and another from KitchenAid) that, while good, do not provide
> the same quality output that the Faberware did.
>
> I turn to you august members and ask, hat in hand, for any
> recommendations. I did find one from Williams Sonoma
> http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5594130/?pkey=x|4|1||4|electric%20griddle||0&cm_src=SCH
>
> [or if that link breaks
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y92d99v
> ]
>
> but at $299 (online) and $325 (instore), it's too expensive. I was hoping
> for something significantly less-expensive, without a backsplash
> (unnecessary), dual controls, a large working surface (21" X 12" is a
> comfortable size), and able to be immersed for cleaning.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> The Ranger

Have you looked at Presto griddles? They of cast aluminum, and of good
quality. Ours has lasted a long time without problems. I guess it depends on
how much heat you want.
http://www.shopping.com/xFS?KW=%22pr...dle%22&CLT=SCH

Kent