FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   pot filler (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/35020-pot-filler.html)

[email protected] 15-09-2004 02:40 AM

pot filler

Hi all,
I am currently re-doing my kitchen in which I plan to install
a pot filler. Is there a standard height above the stovetop that they
are commonly placed. Obviously it will have to be higher than the
tallest stockpot used. If anyone has a number in mind I would
appreciate it. TIA.

E. Katz

Wayne 15-09-2004 04:02 AM

wrote in :

> Hi all,
> I am currently re-doing my kitchen in which I plan to install
> a pot filler. Is there a standard height above the stovetop that they
> are commonly placed. Obviously it will have to be higher than the
> tallest stockpot used. If anyone has a number in mind I would
> appreciate it. TIA.
>
> E. Katz

I don't know if there's a standard, but I'd go with what works with my
tallest pot. You shouldn't need it any higher, but would need it at least
that high.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne 15-09-2004 04:02 AM

Wayne 15-09-2004 04:02 AM

Michael 16-09-2004 04:55 PM

> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am currently re-doing my kitchen in which I plan to install
> a pot filler

Mine is 2' above the range top. Has worked well.

Michael 16-09-2004 04:55 PM

B.Server 16-09-2004 06:12 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:40:56 GMT, wrote:

>Hi all,
> I am currently re-doing my kitchen in which I plan to install
>a pot filler. Is there a standard height above the stovetop that they
>are commonly placed. Obviously it will have to be higher than the
>tallest stockpot used. If anyone has a number in mind I would
>appreciate it. TIA.
>
> E. Katz

Why not use one with the flexible stainless steel hose? It can be
mounted where it is convenient and reach all of the cooktop.

Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
is not much help for that.

B.Server 16-09-2004 06:12 PM

Peter Aitken 16-09-2004 07:39 PM

"B.Server" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:40:56 GMT, wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> > I am currently re-doing my kitchen in which I plan to install
> >a pot filler. Is there a standard height above the stovetop that they
> >are commonly placed. Obviously it will have to be higher than the
> >tallest stockpot used. If anyone has a number in mind I would
> >appreciate it. TIA.
> >
> > E. Katz

> Why not use one with the flexible stainless steel hose? It can be
> mounted where it is convenient and reach all of the cooktop.
>
> Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
> hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
> is not much help for that.

I agree - a pot filler seems like a gadget with little real utility in the
home kitchen. It's the emptying that is a pain!

--
Peter Aitken

Edwin Pawlowski 17-09-2004 12:46 AM

"B.Server" > wrote in message

> Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> gallon at a time is not much trouble.

Because it is there. Some people must have the latest gadget just because
they can. Mostly the same people that have every singe piece of All Clad
and get upset when it gets a scratch from real use.

Might be handy at times, but if you can't lift the pot to the stove, you
won't lift if off either. Limited use in a home, great if you are
handicapped in some way.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Joe Doe 17-09-2004 01:22 AM

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "B.Server" > wrote in message

> > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> > gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
> > hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
> > is not much help for that.

> I agree - a pot filler seems like a gadget with little real utility in the
> home kitchen. It's the emptying that is a pain!

Some manufacturers sell stock pots with drain valves.

See for example:
http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S...M&Product_Code
=VOL68661&Category_Code=G8-3-2

or

http://tinyurl.com/6h5ss

I think some howe brew stores may sell smaller versions of these pots.
I believe the faucets for these pots are sold individually by Vollrath
etc. so an enterprising person could rig one up on pot that is sized
appropriately for a home user.

Roland

Steve Cohn 17-09-2004 06:59 AM

In article >,
B.Server > wrote:

> Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
> hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
> is not much help for that.

My experience differs. I don't have a pot filler and wish I did.

I make stock in my 34 quart stock pot about every three to four weeks.
When I make a brown stock, I like to reduce it almost to a demi glace in
the pot, yielding about 5-6 cups of liquid. That being the case, filling
the pot is far more of an issue than emptying it.

--
Steve Cohn

Steve Cohn 17-09-2004 06:59 AM

Vox Humana 17-09-2004 01:00 PM

"Steve Cohn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> B.Server > wrote:
>
> > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> > gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
> > hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
> > is not much help for that.

> My experience differs. I don't have a pot filler and wish I did.
>
> I make stock in my 34 quart stock pot about every three to four weeks.
> When I make a brown stock, I like to reduce it almost to a demi glace in
> the pot, yielding about 5-6 cups of liquid. That being the case, filling
> the pot is far more of an issue than emptying it.

You could get one of those plant watering hoses that fit on your kitchen
faucet - the poor man's pot filler!

Vox Humana 17-09-2004 01:00 PM

Wayne 17-09-2004 02:12 PM

Steve Cohn > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> B.Server > wrote:
>
>> Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
>> kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
>> gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
>> hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
>> is not much help for that.

> My experience differs. I don't have a pot filler and wish I did.
>
> I make stock in my 34 quart stock pot about every three to four weeks.
> When I make a brown stock, I like to reduce it almost to a demi glace
> in the pot, yielding about 5-6 cups of liquid. That being the case,
> filling the pot is far more of an issue than emptying it.

How long does such a reduction take?

Wayne 17-09-2004 02:12 PM

Steve Cohn > wrote in
:

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 09:36 AM

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> How long does such a reduction take?

About 14 hours.

--
Steve Cohn

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 09:36 AM

Wayne 18-09-2004 09:42 AM

Steve Cohn > wrote in news:newsgroups-
:

> In article >,
> Wayne > wrote:
>
>> How long does such a reduction take?

> About 14 hours.

Is this usually done in one continuum or in several stages?

Thanks.

Wayne 18-09-2004 09:42 AM

Wayne 18-09-2004 09:42 AM

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 07:37 PM

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> >> How long does such a reduction take?

> > About 14 hours.

> Is this usually done in one continuum or in several stages?
>
> Thanks.

The major reducing is done in one stage, but there is usually a step
before and after. A classic brown stock is made roughly this way:

Take a mix of meatless beef and veal joint bones (like knees, not ribs
or marrow cuts) and roast them in a 400 degree oven until amber colored.
Remove the bones from the roasting pan and set them aside. Degrease and
deglaze the roasting pan with red wine, then pour into small bowl and
set aside.

Arrange your roasted bones in the bottom of a large (at least 20 quart)
stock pot. Spread 6-8 cups of mire poix (roughly chopped mix of carrots,
celery and onions) over that. Then add your mix of herbs, such as whole
peppercorns, up to a full head of garlic cut in half, parsley, bay leaf,
thyme, etc. (Note: the traditional way of doing this is to make a
"sachet" of herbs out of cheesecloth and tie it up with a string. This
allows you to easily fish it out when you so desire. I never do this,
preferring to just throw everything in the pot and strain it out later.)

Next, pour COLD water over the whole thing, almost to the top of your
pot (leave just a couple inches boiling room). The idea here is to leave
the bones in position on the bottom, so make sure the pot is on the
stove first and pour GENTLY. Add the red wine from the deglazed roasting
pan.

Bring the pot to a boil over a high flame. Note that a full pot this
size can easily take over an hour to come to a boil on a consumer
cooktop. Don't let it boil too intensely, or you may dislodge the bones
from their resting place at the bottom. Then, lower the heat to a gentle
boil or high simmer. Skim and discard the foam that will collect on top.

Now... LEAVE IT ALONE. The three big rules of making stock a do not
salt, do not cover, do not stir. The idea is to let the boiling water
rise through the bones and break down the proteins in the joints, all
the while concentrating the liquid and seasoning it with the other
ingredients. You should occasionally skim the foam from the top, but
that's it.

After about 12-16 hours of this, the stock will be reduced to about 20
percent of its original volume and the bones should be basically clean.
That's when it's ready. Pull out the big bones and strain the liquid
into a large (preferably stainless steel) bowl. Place in an ice bath to
cool rapidly, then in the refridgerator to cool some more. After a few
hours, kkim the fat off the top and you've got a classic brown stock!

Now, if you place that stock into a saucepan and boil it down some more
until it's reduced to a saucey consistency (about 50 percent of its
previous volume), you've got a demi glace. I generally do this and
freeze the mixture in one cup containers to use as the base for almost
every sauce I make. Yummy!

Note: this stuff is very rich, so you don't need a lot. If you're
usually serving fewer than six people, you may want to freeze in
half-cup containers.

And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
are the same.

Happy eating!

Steve

--
Steve Cohn

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 07:37 PM

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 07:37 PM

DawnK 18-09-2004 07:46 PM

"Steve Cohn" > wrote in message

> [...]

> into a large (preferably stainless steel) bowl. Place in an ice bath to
> cool rapidly, then in the refridgerator to cool some more. After a few
> hours, kkim the fat off the top and you've got a classic brown stock!
>
> Now, if you place that stock into a saucepan and boil it down some more
> until it's reduced to a saucey consistency (about 50 percent of its
> previous volume), you've got a demi glace. I generally do this and
> freeze the mixture in one cup containers to use as the base for almost
> every sauce I make. Yummy!
>
> Note: this stuff is very rich, so you don't need a lot. If you're
> usually serving fewer than six people, you may want to freeze in
> half-cup containers.
>
> And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
> and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts

So, how do you find this kind of time?? Do you start early on a Saturday,
or do it in the evening and let it simmer while you sleep? If I could find
the time, I don't have enough freezer space, since we only have a little
freezer. LOL! It sounds good, though.

Dawn

DawnK 18-09-2004 07:46 PM

DawnK 18-09-2004 07:46 PM

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 11:23 PM

In article >,
"DawnK" > wrote:

> [...]

> > freeze the mixture in one cup containers to use as the base for almost
> > every sauce I make. Yummy!
> >
> > Note: this stuff is very rich, so you don't need a lot. If you're
> > usually serving fewer than six people, you may want to freeze in
> > half-cup containers.
> >
> > And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
> > and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
> > are the same.
> >
> > Happy eating!
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > Steve Cohn
> >

> So, how do you find this kind of time?? Do you start early on a Saturday,
> or do it in the evening and let it simmer while you sleep? If I could find
> the time, I don't have enough freezer space, since we only have a little

Actually, that's exactly it... I either have it going all day on a
Saturday, or start it on a weekday evening and let it simmer overnight.
The latter is how it's done in most restaurants.

My freezer is small too, but this stuff really doesn't take up much
space if stored in stackable containers. Since each pot only yields
about 6 cups of demi glace, even if you're making a couple different
kinds, the most you're likely to have in your freezer at once is 12
cups. That's about the size of a six pack.

For those not willing to invest the time and expense, I've found that
this is the next best thing:

http://www.morethangourmet.com/

Best,

Steve

--
Steve Cohn

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 11:23 PM

Steve Cohn 18-09-2004 11:23 PM

Wayne 19-09-2004 04:13 AM

Steve Cohn > wrote in news:newsgroups-
:

> Subject: Making stock (was: pot filler)
> From: Steve Cohn >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.equipment

>> > About 14 hours.

>> Is this usually done in one continuum or in several stages?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> The major reducing is done in one stage, but there is usually a step
> before and after. A classic brown stock is made roughly this way:

Thank you, Steve, for taking the time to post such great detail in this
process/recipe. I'm looking forward to making this in the very near
future!

Wayne 19-09-2004 04:13 AM

Wayne 19-09-2004 04:13 AM

B.Server 20-09-2004 02:36 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:22:09 -0500, Joe Doe >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
>> "B.Server" > wrote in message

>> > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
>> > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
>> > gallon at a time is not much trouble. What is a burden is moving the
>> > hot, full, stockpot off the stove to cool and strain it. The filler
>> > is not much help for that.

>> I agree - a pot filler seems like a gadget with little real utility in the
>> home kitchen. It's the emptying that is a pain!

>Some manufacturers sell stock pots with drain valves.
>
>See for example:
>http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S...M&Product_Code
>=VOL68661&Category_Code=G8-3-2
>
>or
>

>http://tinyurl.com/6h5ss
>
>I think some howe brew stores may sell smaller versions of these pots.
>I believe the faucets for these pots are sold individually by Vollrath
>etc. so an enterprising person could rig one up on pot that is sized
>appropriately for a home user.
>
>Roland

Indeed. However, the drain valves are located (logically) at the very
bottom of the pot. In the bottom of the stock will be found slush
from long cooked vegetables, agglutinated protein from the meat, and
glop beyond description. In short, either the valve will be
hopelessly stopped up (most likely) or the effluent will need further
straining. Neither is a happy thought.

B.Server 20-09-2004 02:36 AM

Joe Doe 20-09-2004 10:35 PM

In article >,
B.Server > wrote:

> >Some manufacturers sell stock pots with drain valves.
> >
> >See for example:
> >http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S...M&Product_Code
> >=VOL68661&Category_Code=G8-3-2
> >
> >or
> >

> >http://tinyurl.com/6h5ss
> >
> >I think some howe brew stores may sell smaller versions of these pots.
> >I believe the faucets for these pots are sold individually by Vollrath
> >etc. so an enterprising person could rig one up on pot that is sized
> >appropriately for a home user.
> >
> >Roland

> Indeed. However, the drain valves are located (logically) at the very
> bottom of the pot. In the bottom of the stock will be found slush
> from long cooked vegetables, agglutinated protein from the meat, and
> glop beyond description. In short, either the valve will be
> hopelessly stopped up (most likely) or the effluent will need further
> straining. Neither is a happy thought.

I agree this is a potential problem but I think it is less serious than
you do.

My link was to Acemart. Since they are a restaurant supply store I
presume restauranteurs must be using this regularly. This looks like an
item that is in inventory in almost all restaurant supply stores so if
the problems you describe were insurmountable real world problems I
doubt they would stock and sell them. Some sites I visited said the tap
in some model disassemble easily for easy cleaning. I suspect it is a
valve that is designed not to stop up. I do not think opening a tap to
a container capped with a chinois is that much of a challenge.

Roland

Joe Doe 20-09-2004 10:35 PM

Joe Doe 20-09-2004 10:35 PM

Malcolm Spann 21-09-2004 08:26 PM

>And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
>and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
>are the same.

Steve,

Thank you for the time you've taken in typing up this wonderful
explaination! If I may, though ... what are the 'variations' for your
chicken, veggie and fish stocks?

TIA
Malcolm