Member

Location: Glasgow
Default The best thing to have in the kitchen?

I have always said it that the best thing to have in the kitchen is a good set of knives. I do not know how many times i have been away to a self catering apartment on holiday only to find the bluntest worst condition knives in the world.

I spent over £50 ($90 at the time) on three knives and now they are like my best friends in the kitchen. Also get a knife sharpener as you need it to keep the blade keen.

I have had many fad kitchen items such as Juicers, fancy bottle openers, steamers and the like, but nothing comes close to a good set of knives.

What is your best kitchen must have.
__________________
http://itcheninthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Itchen in the Kitchen
Experienced Member

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclaren View Post
I have always said it that the best thing to have in the kitchen is a good set of knives.
Well said! I teach my students that you need only 4 basic knives in the kitchen. A chef's knife, paring knife, serrated slicing knife, and boning knife. That's it. The butcher block of 16 knives is unnecessary. When's the last time you made steak for 10 people that you'd need 10 steak knives? Not often.

However, no matter how good you are with your knives, you'll never liquify something. My favorite kitchen tool is my immersion blender or cuisinart.

To cut a lot of items into consistent sizes, a mandolin is my second favorite.
__________________
Chef Todd Mohr
WebCookingClasses.com
http://www.WebCookingClasses.com
Member

Location: Glasgow

I use three, chefs knife, paring knife and boning knife. I also have a few others such as a bread knife and ceramic sushi knife, but do not use them as much.

I also agree with the imersion blender, I have one of those too. I also have a kenwood chef which is the best when i'm making cakes and pastries.

On another front, one of my best purchases in my Kitchen was my Rangemaster cooker. 8 hobs, two ovens, and a grill. with the gridle attachment too. trust me when Christmas comes arouns and we have both my wifes, and my family round it really comes into it's own when cooking christmas dinner for 14 people.
__________________
http://itcheninthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Itchen in the Kitchen
Member

I use my blender every day for making smoothies, and also to chop things up really small for cooking. For me, it is definitely the most important kitchen tool
Member

Location: Montreal

Well as knives are already covered.

My favorite and its a bit of a surprise to me, as i didn't think I would like it when i got it for xmas.

small food processor the one that normally attaches to an immersion blender.

I love these things, Size is perfect for most meals and I can do just about anything in it. So much easier to clean than my Big food processor.

Member

well yeah knives would be my option too, but I like to have the refrigerator 'inside' the kitchen. I have seen many have their refrigerator outside.
Member

One thing to have is a container for your food. Usually when we cook, we cook more than enough. So that we don't waste food, we need containers to save the food.
Member

My must have - A Good Cook!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclaren View Post
I have always said it that the best thing to have in the kitchen is a good set of knives. I do not know how many times i have been away to a self catering apartment on holiday only to find the bluntest worst condition knives in the world.

I spent over £50 ($90 at the time) on three knives and now they are like my best friends in the kitchen. Also get a knife sharpener as you need it to keep the blade keen.

I have had many fad kitchen items such as Juicers, fancy bottle openers, steamers and the like, but nothing comes close to a good set of knives.

What is your best kitchen must have.
well,I think cooking for me is really difficult! I'm really a lousy cook. I think mo matter how well-equipped i am, ,the job I did was always terrible.HAHA.But I can make tea very well!
Banned

I think the thing which plays an important role in kitchen is the "Spoon" because you can't take pepper , salt, or other ingredients as well as when you statrt cooking you need it.

Member

Definitely a good set of knives, but I've been also using my slow cooker more often recently. I like that I can just add all my ingredients, close the lid, flip the switch, and not worry about what I'm going to cook for dinner!