Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Pyrex storage sets

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-...7764376&sr=8-1

These Pyrex storage sets have 244+/- reviews of which 150 are 5*, and I
don't believe there is a 1*.
I have to admit that I use them a lot, but even though the lids are so tight
that I can't put them by myself, and the odors don't leak out, the lids
after removing contain the odor of my lasagna that I stored for less than 24
hours.

Soaking a little, then washing and drying, the lasagna odor persisted.

Probably a little baking soda will do it. I noticed that I did put saran
wrap on the other pyrex before I put on the blue pyrex lid. This is probably
the better idea.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
> http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-...7764376&sr=8-1
>

> These Pyrex storage sets have 244+/- reviews of which 150 are 5*, and I
> don't believe there is a 1*.
> I have to admit that I use them a lot, but even though the lids are so
> tight that I can't put them by myself, and the odors don't leak out, the
> lids after removing contain the odor of my lasagna that I stored for less
> than 24 hours.
>
> Soaking a little, then washing and drying, the lasagna odor persisted.
>
> Probably a little baking soda will do it. I noticed that I did put saran
> wrap on the other pyrex before I put on the blue pyrex lid. This is
> probably the better idea.
> Dee Dee

On the pyrex dish full of lasagna that I had put saran wrap underneath the
blue lid - the lid did not smell of lasagna.
OK, I know what to do!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri 17 Jul 2009 11:22:23a, Dee Dovey told us...

> "Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
>> http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-.../B00005B8K5/re
>> f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247764376&sr=8-1
>>

>> These Pyrex storage sets have 244+/- reviews of which 150 are 5*, and I
>> don't believe there is a 1*.
>> I have to admit that I use them a lot, but even though the lids are so
>> tight that I can't put them by myself, and the odors don't leak out,
>> the lids after removing contain the odor of my lasagna that I stored
>> for less than 24 hours.
>>
>> Soaking a little, then washing and drying, the lasagna odor persisted.
>>
>> Probably a little baking soda will do it. I noticed that I did put
>> saran wrap on the other pyrex before I put on the blue pyrex lid. This
>> is probably the better idea.
>> Dee Dee

> On the pyrex dish full of lasagna that I had put saran wrap underneath
> the blue lid - the lid did not smell of lasagna.
> OK, I know what to do!
> Dee Dee

I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
permanent that have plastic covers that are not.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The spirit cannot endure the body when overfed, but, if underfed,

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Fri 17 Jul 2009 11:22:23a, Dee Dovey told us...
>

>> "Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-.../B00005B8K5/re
>>> f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247764376&sr=8-1
>>>

>>> These Pyrex storage sets have 244+/- reviews of which 150 are 5*, and I
>>> don't believe there is a 1*.
>>> I have to admit that I use them a lot, but even though the lids are so
>>> tight that I can't put them by myself, and the odors don't leak out,
>>> the lids after removing contain the odor of my lasagna that I stored
>>> for less than 24 hours.
>>>
>>> Soaking a little, then washing and drying, the lasagna odor persisted.
>>>
>>> Probably a little baking soda will do it. I noticed that I did put
>>> saran wrap on the other pyrex before I put on the blue pyrex lid. This
>>> is probably the better idea.
>>> Dee Dee

>> On the pyrex dish full of lasagna that I had put saran wrap underneath
>> the blue lid - the lid did not smell of lasagna.
>> OK, I know what to do!
>> Dee Dee
>>

> I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
> Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
> permanent that have plastic covers that are not.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Totally true, Wayne, I agree. However, I like the fact that these covers
are so very tight; in fact, so tight that I cannot get them on or off.
I use these for freezing constantly, as well, and the tight fitting lids, I
really like. I know that I could put saran wrap between the glass lid and
the bottom, but I would probably be replacing the broken glass lids (in my
case) as soon as I would discard the blue plastic lids.

I've not bought the glass storage containers with glass lids, so I have no
real experience; just my opinion. The ones I've seen are Anchor Hocking and
I have not been a fan of Anchor Hocking glass in the past, but have
preffered Pyrex.

However, Pyrex items IMHO is in some cases are getting thinner. I bought
the same sized Pyrex square as the Pyrex square with the plastic lid, within
6 months. The Pyrex square without the lid seems to be much thicker. I
haven't weighed them, though :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
> Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
> permanent that have plastic covers that are not.

Back when CorningWare was pyroceram and not stoneware, I bought loads of
dishes/containers/pots with both plastic _and_ glass lids.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
>> Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
>> permanent that have plastic covers that are not.
>>

> Back when CorningWare was pyroceram and not stoneware, I bought loads of
> dishes/containers/pots with both plastic _and_ glass lids.

And ... how did they fare?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dovey wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
>>> Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
>>> permanent that have plastic covers that are not.
>>>

>> Back when CorningWare was pyroceram and not stoneware, I bought loads of
>> dishes/containers/pots with both plastic _and_ glass lids.

> And ... how did they fare?

The older plastic lids are still going strong - some of the (relatively)
newer ones seem to have been made of a different type of plastic - they
have turned brittle and begun to crack. I haven't noticed any problems
with lingering odours (running them through the dishwasher seems to do
the job, as does storing the lids on racks with decent air circulation),
but things like tomato sauce do cause some staining. They seal tightly
(except when they start to crack at the edges), and stack easily.
I've only broken 2 or three glass lids over the course of 30+ years;
they don't stain or hold odours, but they don't stack well.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Dee Dovey wrote:
>>>>
>>> Back when CorningWare was pyroceram and not stoneware, I bought loads of
>>> dishes/containers/pots with both plastic _and_ glass lids.

>> And ... how did they fare?
>>

> The older plastic lids are still going strong - some of the (relatively)
> newer ones seem to have been made of a different type of plastic - they
> have turned brittle and begun to crack. I haven't noticed any problems
> with lingering odours (running them through the dishwasher seems to do the
> job, as does storing the lids on racks with decent air circulation), but
> things like tomato sauce do cause some staining. They seal tightly
> (except when they start to crack at the edges), and stack easily.
> I've only broken 2 or three glass lids over the course of 30+ years; they
> don't stain or hold odours, but they don't stack well.

Stacking is important. Recently, during winter months, when I couldn't find
a particular sized Ball jar (very small and wide lid which I use a lot for
freezing), I was reduced to buying a designer-Ball jar (4 to a pack), with
the new designer-lids ( silver instead). These jars are absolutely useless
for stacking, whether it be in the cupboards or frig or freezer. They just
roll off one another.

I use these small jars for cut up garlic, onion tops and bottoms separately,
leeks, parsley, etc etc. for freezing to have on hand to add to soups, etc.

Thanks for your reply.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 05:52:07a, Dee Dovey told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

>>> On the pyrex dish full of lasagna that I had put saran wrap underneath
>>> the blue lid - the lid did not smell of lasagna.
>>> OK, I know what to do!
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> I bought Anchor Hocking glass storage containers that have glass lids.
>> Never made sense to me to buy glass containers which are relatively
>> permanent that have plastic covers that are not.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Totally true, Wayne, I agree. However, I like the fact that these
> covers are so very tight; in fact, so tight that I cannot get them on or
> off. I use these for freezing constantly, as well, and the tight fitting
> lids, I really like. I know that I could put saran wrap between the
> glass lid and the bottom, but I would probably be replacing the broken
> glass lids (in my case) as soon as I would discard the blue plastic
> lids.

Intended use does play a part. I use my glass covered dishes mostly for
refrigerator storage, although I overwrap with saran if it goes into the
freezer. I've never owned a glass container with platic lid where the lid
lasted as long as the container. I rarely break anything, so don't have a
problem with the lids.

> I've not bought the glass storage containers with glass lids, so I have
> no real experience; just my opinion. The ones I've seen are Anchor
> Hocking and I have not been a fan of Anchor Hocking glass in the past,
> but have preffered Pyrex.

I've always preferred Anchor Hocking products over Pyrex, particularly
their vintage pieces. Some of the pieces I have are over 60 years old, but
still totally usable. Anchor Hocking was the last holdout on "loop" style
handles on measuring cups until the last couple of years. I really hate
the new handles on both Pyrex and Anchor Hocking.

> However, Pyrex items IMHO is in some cases are getting thinner. I
> bought the same sized Pyrex square as the Pyrex square with the plastic
> lid, within 6 months. The Pyrex square without the lid seems to be much
> thicker. I haven't weighed them, though :-))

I haven't bought a piece of Pyrex in probably 10-15 years, so I can't
compare the change in quality.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Proust had his madeleines; I am devastated by the scent of yeast