Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default No Oil Frying/saute pans

Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base, hence
the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.

The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we like
the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest another
manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy to shop
for used on eBay. TIA.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
> Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
> channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base,
> hence the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.
>
> The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we
> like the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest
> another manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy
> to shop for used on eBay. TIA.

Perhaps you will have to use more liquid to keep something from sticking
even in a non-stick pan, unless it's a fatty steak :-))
That can be done in almost any non-stick pan.

An aside: Olive oil is good for you.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
> Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
> channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base,
> hence the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.
>
> The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we
> like the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest
> another manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy
> to shop for used on eBay. TIA.

I forgot to add oil when frying eggs the other day in my newest T-Fal pan,
it slid off like it was no different... though oil helps the browning and
taste anyways. I'm very impressed with how non-stick the non-stick surface
is, though I can't say how durable the coating is yet, I've only had it a
few weeks.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
>> Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
>> channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base,
>> hence the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.
>>
>> The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we
>> like the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest
>> another manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy
>> to shop for used on eBay. TIA.
>>

> I forgot to add oil when frying eggs the other day in my newest T-Fal pan,
> it slid off like it was no different... though oil helps the browning and
> taste anyways. I'm very impressed with how non-stick the non-stick
> surface is, though I can't say how durable the coating is yet, I've only
> had it a few weeks.

HTH,
Dee Dee

http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/services/f...ept_id=110#q12
12 - Can T-FAL pans be damaged by high temperature?

Yes. High temperature can burn food, producing stains and causing the pan to
warp. In addition, overheating may result in a loss of non-stick
performance. Use only low to medium heat with your T-FAL cookware at all
times (including to boil water). A moderate temperature is sufficient for
cooking, because aluminium heats up quickly and evenly. T-FAL cookware can
be used without being damaged up to a temperature of approximately 260°C.
This is well above the temperature needed to cook or fry, so there is no
problem when the utensil is used for normal cooking. Only heating the pan to
a very high temperature, with nothing in it, can cause damage.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
>>> Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the
>>> shopping channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the
>>> base, hence the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.
>>>
>>> The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we
>>> like the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest
>>> another manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than
>>> happy to shop for used on eBay. TIA.
>>>

>> I forgot to add oil when frying eggs the other day in my newest T-Fal
>> pan, it slid off like it was no different... though oil helps the
>> browning and taste anyways. I'm very impressed with how non-stick the
>> non-stick surface is, though I can't say how durable the coating is yet,
>> I've only had it a few weeks.
>>

> HTH,
> Dee Dee
>
> http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/services/f...ept_id=110#q12
> 12 - Can T-FAL pans be damaged by high temperature?
>
> Yes. High temperature can burn food, producing stains and causing the pan
> to warp. In addition, overheating may result in a loss of non-stick
> performance. Use only low to medium heat with your T-FAL cookware at all
> times (including to boil water). A moderate temperature is sufficient for
> cooking, because aluminium heats up quickly and evenly. T-FAL cookware can
> be used without being damaged up to a temperature of approximately 260°C.
> This is well above the temperature needed to cook or fry, so there is no
> problem when the utensil is used for normal cooking. Only heating the pan
> to a very high temperature, with nothing in it, can cause damage.

That is how I have always treated non-stick pans, this one being no
different :-)

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>>> I forgot to add oil when frying eggs the other day in my newest T-Fal
>>> pan, it slid off like it was no different... though oil helps the
>>> browning and taste anyways. I'm very impressed with how non-stick the
>>> non-stick surface is, though I can't say how durable the coating is yet,
>>> I've only had it a few weeks.
>>>

>> HTH,
>> Dee Dee
>>
>> http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/services/f...ept_id=110#q12
>> 12 - Can T-FAL pans be damaged by high temperature?
>>
>> Yes. High temperature can burn food, producing stains and causing the pan
>> to warp. In addition, overheating may result in a loss of non-stick
>> performance. Use only low to medium heat with your T-FAL cookware at all
>> times (including to boil water). A moderate temperature is sufficient for
>> cooking, because aluminium heats up quickly and evenly. T-FAL cookware
>> can be used without being damaged up to a temperature of approximately
>> 260°C. This is well above the temperature needed to cook or fry, so there
>> is no problem when the utensil is used for normal cooking. Only heating
>> the pan to a very high temperature, with nothing in it, can cause damage.
>>

> That is how I have always treated non-stick pans, this one being no
> different :-)

I figured you did, but couldn't resist helping just in case. :-)))
Cheers,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
>> Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
>> channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base,
>> hence the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.
>>
>> The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we
>> like the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest
>> another manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy
>> to shop for used on eBay. TIA.
>>

> I forgot to add oil when frying eggs the other day in my newest T-Fal pan,
> it slid off like it was no different... though oil helps the browning and
> taste anyways. I'm very impressed with how non-stick the non-stick
> surface is, though I can't say how durable the coating is yet, I've only
> had it a few weeks.

Obviously oil adds to taste, but what we are trying to do, is reduce our oil
intake. I've lost count of the times that I've seen surplus olive oil left
in the pan, but have eaten it, rather than waste it, or strain it back into
the bottle.
One tablespoonful of olive oil is 200 calories. If you can get a pan with a
heavy base and non-stick finish, you can get pretty close to 'no oil
cooking'. We will use a refillable pump n' spray, towards the end of
cooking.
Anyway, I've done some surfing and started a list of high end pans :
Berndes, Analon, Meyer Circulon and Kitchenaid. If anyone knows of others,
please post.
Top of my list would be one about 10" (square would be nice) with removable
handles and a toughened glass lid, so it can be placed inside the oven - the
stuff of dreams.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> Anyway, I've done some surfing and started a list of high end pans :
> Berndes, Analon, Meyer Circulon and Kitchenaid. If anyone knows of others,
> please post.

Of my now 37 pots and pans, my faves are the Calphalon Professional
Non-stick and Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized. The HA is not a
non-stick surface, but the hard anodizing process turns the surface of
the aluminum into a non-porous, super smooth surface similar in many
ways to a stainless steel surface, but with a natural tendency to be
less sticky than stainless.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:05:06 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>Of my now 37 pots and pans, my faves are the Calphalon Professional
>Non-stick and Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized. The HA is not a
>non-stick surface, but the hard anodizing process turns the surface of
>the aluminum into a non-porous, super smooth surface similar in many
>ways to a stainless steel surface, but with a natural tendency to be
>less sticky than stainless.

Do you cook with those old cast iron skillets? I just purchased a
Wagner #10 and a Griswold #8 from a local guy for $25 (unbelievable),
and the Wagner cooks like a dream. It almost seems easier to cook
with than my well-seasoned Griswold #10: wonder if the slightly
thinner iron makes a difference.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I've done some surfing and started a list of high end pans :
>> Berndes, Analon, Meyer Circulon and Kitchenaid. If anyone knows of
>> others,
>> please post.

> Of my now 37 pots and pans, my faves are the Calphalon Professional
> Non-stick and Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized. The HA is not a
> non-stick surface, but the hard anodizing process turns the surface of
> the aluminum into a non-porous, super smooth surface similar in many
> ways to a stainless steel surface, but with a natural tendency to be
> less sticky than stainless.
>
> jt

Thanks jt in fact I did read on Meyer Prestige that hard anodised compares
well with s/steel for hardness. I noted on utube that Calphalon do a frypan
that has a partition down the middle, so you can seperate ingredients, a
kind of 'his' and 'hers'. Sadly Calphalon have withdrawn from the British
and Irish markets
http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Calphalon.html

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:05:06 GMT, jt august > wrote:
>
>>Of my now 37 pots and pans, my faves are the Calphalon Professional
>>Non-stick and Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized. The HA is not a
>>non-stick surface, but the hard anodizing process turns the surface of
>>the aluminum into a non-porous, super smooth surface similar in many
>>ways to a stainless steel surface, but with a natural tendency to be
>>less sticky than stainless.

> Do you cook with those old cast iron skillets? I just purchased a
> Wagner #10 and a Griswold #8 from a local guy for $25 (unbelievable),
> and the Wagner cooks like a dream. It almost seems easier to cook
> with than my well-seasoned Griswold #10: wonder if the slightly
> thinner iron makes a difference.

I have a cast iron square skillet, with ribs which have a non-stick finish.
It's also got a removeable handle, which is handy for the dishwash machine.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:41:39 -0000, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>Anyway, I've done some surfing and started a list of high end pans :
>Berndes, Analon, Meyer Circulon and Kitchenaid. If anyone knows of others,
>please post.

As I believe I wrote a couple of weeks ago, the new Le Creuset "Toughened
Non-Stick" is the best non-stick pan I've ever used. Very solid, very
conductive, terrific non-stick that withstands metal utensils, and dishwasher
safe. And it's suitable for induction cooking.

20, 24, and 28 cm sizes:
http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...ned-Non-Stick/ or
http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...w-Frying-Pans/

Two more All Clad and Calphalon pans have bitten the dust!

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message

>>> HTH,
>>> Dee Dee
>>>
>>> http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/services/f...ept_id=110#q12
>>> 12 - Can T-FAL pans be damaged by high temperature?
>>>
>>> Yes. High temperature can burn food, producing stains and causing the
>>> pan to warp. In addition, overheating may result in a loss of non-stick
>>> performance. Use only low to medium heat with your T-FAL cookware at all
>>> times (including to boil water). A moderate temperature is sufficient
>>> for cooking, because aluminium heats up quickly and evenly. T-FAL
>>> cookware can be used without being damaged up to a temperature of
>>> approximately 260°C. This is well above the temperature needed to cook
>>> or fry, so there is no problem when the utensil is used for normal
>>> cooking. Only heating the pan to a very high temperature, with nothing
>>> in it, can cause damage.
>>>

>> That is how I have always treated non-stick pans, this one being no
>> different :-)

> I figured you did, but couldn't resist helping just in case. :-)))
> Cheers,
> Dee Dee

Appreciate the thought :-)

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" <wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:41:39 -0000, "Bertie Doe"wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I've done some surfing and started a list of high end pans :
>>Berndes, Analon, Meyer Circulon and Kitchenaid. If anyone knows of others,
>>please post.

> As I believe I wrote a couple of weeks ago, the new Le Creuset "Toughened
> Non-Stick" is the best non-stick pan I've ever used. Very solid, very
> conductive, terrific non-stick that withstands metal utensils, and
> dishwasher
> safe. And it's suitable for induction cooking.
>
> 20, 24, and 28 cm sizes:
> http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...ned-Non-Stick/ or
> http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...w-Frying-Pans/
>
> Two more All Clad and Calphalon pans have bitten the dust!
>
> -- Larry

Thanks for that Larry. I'd completely overlooked Le Cruset as I assumed
their whole range was caste iron. Good news that they're dishwasher proof.
Some of the above, react to the soaps used.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
KLS > wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:05:06 GMT, jt august > wrote:
>
> >Of my now 37 pots and pans, my faves are the Calphalon Professional
> >Non-stick and Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized. The HA is not a
> >non-stick surface, but the hard anodizing process turns the surface of
> >the aluminum into a non-porous, super smooth surface similar in many
> >ways to a stainless steel surface, but with a natural tendency to be
> >less sticky than stainless.

> Do you cook with those old cast iron skillets? I just purchased a
> Wagner #10 and a Griswold #8 from a local guy for $25 (unbelievable),
> and the Wagner cooks like a dream. It almost seems easier to cook
> with than my well-seasoned Griswold #10: wonder if the slightly
> thinner iron makes a difference.

I haven't tried cast iron, myself. I have one that needs to be
sandblasted, washed, self-clean cycle dried, and then fresh seasoning.
After all that, I'll be able to judge cast iron.

I will say that I got this pan as an inheritance, but the grandmother
who had it had not used it in over 20 years, thus the current condition.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:53:47 -0000, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>> As I believe I wrote a couple of weeks ago, the new Le Creuset "Toughened
>> Non-Stick" is the best non-stick pan I've ever used. Very solid, very
>> conductive, terrific non-stick that withstands metal utensils, and
>> dishwasher
>> safe. And it's suitable for induction cooking.
>>
>> 20, 24, and 28 cm sizes:
>> http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...ned-Non-Stick/ or
>> http://www.lecreuset.com/en/Product-...w-Frying-Pans/
>>
>> Two more All Clad and Calphalon pans have bitten the dust!

>Thanks for that Larry. I'd completely overlooked Le Cruset as I assumed
>their whole range was caste iron. Good news that they're dishwasher proof.
>Some of the above, react to the soaps used.

You're welcome. I believe this line of Le Creuset has only been around for a
month or two.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> Thanks jt in fact I did read on Meyer Prestige that hard anodised compares
> well with s/steel for hardness.

A funny beast, the hard anodizing process. I HA'ed piece of aluminium
has a skin that is only 2 thousandths thick. That is machinist /
engineers language for saying that the skin is .002 inches think, or two
one-thousandths. For a scale, a human hair can range from .004 to .009
typically, with certain hairs on the body being as thick as .014. The
average of human head hair is roughly .006, so by comparison, the skin
of a hard anodized piece of aluminium is roughly one third the thickness
of a human hair. But this thickness is incredibly tough, able to
deflect the shock and friction that a steel utensil or knife can
inflict.

That skin is actually harder and tougher than stainless steel, ounce for
ounce. But with it only being .002, if that skin it penetrated, the
underlying aluminum is no stronger than regular aluminum.

The surface also smoothes out and bonds to become super smooth, and the
microscopic pours that aluminum normally have are seals, and that is
what makes HA somewhat naturally non-stick.

I favor these pans whenever I need a fond, or I am cooking with lots of
moisture, such as a dishes with wet broth or wine sauces. I avoid eggs
in these pans. Also, I use my smallest HA sauce pan for thickening
hollandaise and béarnaise sauces. I heat the pan over very low direct
heat, whisking continuously. As soon as I see signs of thickening, I
turn off the burner and keep whisking. As soon as I get the desired
thickness, I set the pan in a sink of cold water about 2 inches deep and
whisk while moving the pan about the water until the pan is cooled to
the touch. This trick can only be done with a thick, heavy pan. A thin
HA pan will not convey the heat properly to keep the heat even. Done
right, I have achieved consistent success in making the thickest,
smoothest, and not clumped egg sauces I have ever had.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <> "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>> Thanks jt in fact I did read on Meyer Prestige that hard anodised
>> compares
>> well with s/steel for hardness.

> I favor these pans whenever I need a fond, or I am cooking with lots of
> moisture, such as a dishes with wet broth or wine sauces. I avoid eggs
> in these pans.

The problem is this, my wife is from Hong Kong and does enjoy flash-frying
bacon and eggs for breakfast. she starts with the bacon, then later adds
eggs (beaten) and cooks at high temperature. I suppose, if I opt for hard
anodised, I need to get one with a heavy base.

If HA in itself has non-stick qualities, then HA + a layer of non-stick
finish, would give you a second line of defence?

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 03:18:35 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>I haven't tried cast iron, myself. I have one that needs to be
>sandblasted, washed, self-clean cycle dried, and then fresh seasoning.
>After all that, I'll be able to judge cast iron.

Are you sure you need to sandblast this thing? I've seasoned a couple
of really bad ones by placing them in my oven (racks removed) on a
ceramic coffee mug and then running the self clean cycle. Amazing
what incinerated dust results on the surface. Then I just wash down
the pan and let it dry in the still warm oven, then apply my seasoning
oil. Or cook right away with the fresh pan. It's an easy way to get
these pans back in service. It would be interesting to see if you'd
get similar sauce results in one of these.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> "jt august" < wrote in message
> > In article <> "Bertie Doe" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks jt in fact I did read on Meyer Prestige that hard anodised
> >> compares
> >> well with s/steel for hardness.

> > I favor these pans whenever I need a fond, or I am cooking with lots of
> > moisture, such as a dishes with wet broth or wine sauces. I avoid eggs
> > in these pans.

> The problem is this, my wife is from Hong Kong and does enjoy flash-frying
> bacon and eggs for breakfast. she starts with the bacon, then later adds
> eggs (beaten) and cooks at high temperature. I suppose, if I opt for hard
> anodised, I need to get one with a heavy base.
>
> If HA in itself has non-stick qualities, then HA + a layer of non-stick
> finish, would give you a second line of defence?

That is what Calphalon Professional Non-Stick is. CPNS has - in fact -
three layers of its formulation of non-stick surface. Calphlon one is a
little thinner metal, and the NS emultion layers are thinner, but still
three layers.

But the advantage of NS on HA is not the added non-stickyness, but that
you have the great heat distribution of aluminum, and the non-stick
surface. The one thing is to NOT overheat the pan, which flash frying
might be able to do (I'm not sure about how hot the temps get or if you
must heat the pan excessively with no food in it). This is true of all
non-sticks. The reason you see so many used cheapy non-stick pans with
ruined surfaces a

1) metal utensils
2) ran through the dishwasher
3) non-stick failed on bottom because it got real hot on bottom, even
with food in it. Thin pans can't spread the heat, so they can get hot
spots which fail.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
KLS > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 03:18:35 GMT, jt august > wrote:
>
> >I haven't tried cast iron, myself. I have one that needs to be
> >sandblasted, washed, self-clean cycle dried, and then fresh seasoning.
> >After all that, I'll be able to judge cast iron.

> Are you sure you need to sandblast this thing? I've seasoned a couple
> of really bad ones by placing them in my oven (racks removed) on a
> ceramic coffee mug and then running the self clean cycle. Amazing
> what incinerated dust results on the surface. Then I just wash down
> the pan and let it dry in the still warm oven, then apply my seasoning
> oil. Or cook right away with the fresh pan. It's an easy way to get
> these pans back in service. It would be interesting to see if you'd
> get similar sauce results in one of these.

Yeah, I do. It isn't dust or over aged food residue, it is rust. It
got wet in grandma's basement.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" <wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe wrote:

>> > I favor these pans whenever I need a fond, or I am cooking with lots of
>> > moisture, such as a dishes with wet broth or wine sauces. I avoid eggs
>> > in these pans.

>> The problem is this, my wife is from Hong Kong and does enjoy
>> flash-frying
>> bacon and eggs for breakfast. she starts with the bacon, then later adds
>> eggs (beaten) and cooks at high temperature. I suppose, if I opt for hard
>> anodised, I need to get one with a heavy base.
>>
>> If HA in itself has non-stick qualities, then HA + a layer of non-stick
>> finish, would give you a second line of defence?

> That is what Calphalon Professional Non-Stick is. CPNS has - in fact -
> three layers of its formulation of non-stick surface. Calphlon one is a
> little thinner metal, and the NS emultion layers are thinner, but still
> three layers.
>
> But the advantage of NS on HA is not the added non-stickyness, but that
> you have the great heat distribution of aluminum, and the non-stick
> surface. The one thing is to NOT overheat the pan, which flash frying
> might be able to do (I'm not sure about how hot the temps get or if you
> must heat the pan excessively with no food in it). This is true of all
> non-sticks. The reason you see so many used cheapy non-stick pans with
> ruined surfaces a
>
> 1) metal utensils
> 2) ran through the dishwasher
> 3) non-stick failed on bottom because it got real hot on bottom, even
> with food in it. Thin pans can't spread the heat, so they can get hot
> spots which fail.
>
> jt

It's funny, when you see celeb tv cooks being interviewed in their
workplace, they mostly use stainless pans. Hardly a non-stick surface in
sight and there has to be a reason for this.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> It's funny, when you see celeb tv cooks being interviewed in their
> workplace, they mostly use stainless pans. Hardly a non-stick surface in
> sight and there has to be a reason for this.

There is. Most non-sticks are made for the low volume use of a home
kitchen. A cheap T-Fal wouldn't last a week in a real restaurant.

But as to what is mostly used, stainless is some, but a hard anodized
aqluminum seams to be more common because its dark pigmentation infused
during the HA process helps hide the discoloration that occurs in heavy
use. A high end non-stick on HA is also common in some situations.
There is a restaurant at Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, IL that
has an excellent buffet every year during the Way of Lights
(mid-November to the first week of January). At this buffet, they have
a made-to-order pasta station. The pans they use are a commercial grade
HA with a non-stick surface. They do use metal utensils in these pans,
so they go through a set of ten pans twice during the run, but these ten
pans get used up to 16 times per hour, 5 hours a day, 7 days a week,
with two cooks and as needed a busser in there to help wash each pan
between each use. Those $8.95 Farberware pans won't cut it. But they
need the non-stick to allow things to keep moving fast, including
clean-up.

The reason the celeb TV cooks have stainless is that it looks much nicer
on camera. But look at those pans in the background. Many of those
pans never get actually used, but are only there for show, particularly
on Food Network. Even stainless can lose its gleam under the industrial
grade use of a busy restaurant.

And shiny stainless costs more to produce than HA aluminum.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" <wrote in message
> In article <> "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>> It's funny, when you see celeb tv cooks being interviewed in their
>> workplace, they mostly use stainless pans. Hardly a non-stick surface in
>> sight and there has to be a reason for this.

> There is. Most non-sticks are made for the low volume use of a home
> kitchen. A cheap T-Fal wouldn't last a week in a real restaurant.
>
> But as to what is mostly used, stainless is some, but a hard anodized
> aqluminum seams to be more common because its dark pigmentation infused
> during the HA process helps hide the discoloration that occurs in heavy
> use. A high end non-stick on HA is also common in some situations.
> There is a restaurant at Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, IL that
> has an excellent buffet every year during the Way of Lights
> (mid-November to the first week of January). At this buffet, they have
> a made-to-order pasta station. The pans they use are a commercial grade
> HA with a non-stick surface. They do use metal utensils in these pans,
> so they go through a set of ten pans twice during the run, but these ten
> pans get used up to 16 times per hour, 5 hours a day, 7 days a week,
> with two cooks and as needed a busser in there to help wash each pan
> between each use. Those $8.95 Farberware pans won't cut it. But they
> need the non-stick to allow things to keep moving fast, including
> clean-up.
>
> The reason the celeb TV cooks have stainless is that it looks much nicer
> on camera. But look at those pans in the background. Many of those
> pans never get actually used, but are only there for show, particularly
> on Food Network. Even stainless can lose its gleam under the industrial
> grade use of a busy restaurant.
>
> And shiny stainless costs more to produce than HA aluminum.
>
> jt

One of the largest manufacturers is Meyer, who do at least 3 ranges -
Analon, Circulon and Professional, the Pro being s/steel. I've learnt quite
a lot in the last 4 days and I've come to the conclusion, if you need a
surface to stay non-stick, you have to avoid high temperatures.

The way the handle is fixed to the pan is important. The cheaper ones, use a
1/4" screw, which goes rusty after a couple of years use in a dishwasher.
The trick is not to rush into purchase and keep an eye on Amazon and Ebay,
for discounts on new pans.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> The trick is not to rush into purchase and keep an eye on Amazon and Ebay,
> for discounts on new pans.

So true. So tremendously true.

I do have an enormous collection of cooking toys, but I also started
building it in 1992, and it took until 2006 to pretty much get
everything I was wanting. Even such, I still get new toys every now end
then, like the Vita-Mix in 2007, and a nice handheld blender in 2008.
Patience is key to getting a great collection of anything cheap, plus a
willingness to not require everything be new.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" wrote in message
> In article <> "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>> Thanks jt in fact I did read on Meyer Prestige that hard anodised
>> compares
>> well with s/steel for hardness.

> A funny beast, the hard anodizing process. I HA'ed piece of aluminium
> has a skin that is only 2 thousandths thick. That is machinist /
> engineers language for saying that the skin is .002 inches think, or two
> one-thousandths. For a scale, a human hair can range from .004 to .009
> typically, with certain hairs on the body being as thick as .014. The
> average of human head hair is roughly .006, so by comparison, the skin
> of a hard anodized piece of aluminium is roughly one third the thickness
> of a human hair. But this thickness is incredibly tough, able to
> deflect the shock and friction that a steel utensil or knife can
> inflict.

Thanks jt and all and here's an update. One feature (or lack of) I forgot to
mention earlier, was the fact that 3 earlier non-stick items failed due to
them having wobbly handles. This is were the handle is secured to the
saucepan or fry pan with a nut and bolt or Phillips screw. Over time the
dishwasher has rusted the fastenings, beyond the stage where they can be
tightened.

We were browsing in the houseware section of the supermarket, they had some
ultralight stuff at £6, but some own brand 10" hard anodised heavier (2 lb)
pans at £13. In addition to HA they were also had a gray non-stick surface
on both sides. The big plus was the fact that the handle was fixed on with
0.5" dome rivets on both sides.

Works great, but early days yet and time will tell. But it plugs the gap
between our small and large frypan. Perhaps one day I'll regret not getting
a German or Italian high-end one at £30 - £40, but heck if it lasts 5 years
I'll be pleased.

Bertie

Banned

Ganeshmal Tejraj are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers engaged in offering a wide range of Commercial Kitchen Equipments We use superior quality raw material to manufacture our range of products. kitchen equipment, steel utensils in Bangalore, Fry pan in Bangalore.kitchen equipment, kitchen equipment in bangalore, commercial kitchen equipment, commercial kitchen utensils, commercial kitchen setup in Bangalore, Gravy machine in Bangalore, Chafing dish in Bangalore, Chopping board in bangalore, brass & copper utensils in Bangalore.
Banned

Ganeshmal Equipments: Brass hendi, Biryani Handi, Nilkamal Crates, KOT Holders in Bangalore, Acrylic Plates in Bangalore, Cambro plates in Bangalore.Brass hendi in Bangalore, Biryani Handi in Bangalore, Nilkamal Crates in Bangalore, KOT Holders in Bangalore, Acrylic Plates in Bangalore, Cambro plates in Bangalore.
Member

Location: Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
Saw one of those high-end German pans being demo'd on one of the shopping
channels. Grey non-scratch finish, titanium incorporated in the base, hence
the price of £66 / $100 plus shipping.

The above mentioned make is Woll. Can't say I've heard of them, but we like
the idea of no oil cooking, plus a glass lid. Can anyone suggest another
manufacturer, producing similar quality pans. I'm more than happy to shop
for used on eBay. TIA.
No oil cooking idea I don't think it will work. Yes you can use saucepan in that case because it gets heated very fast and most of the oil will disappear from the heat.
Member

As I believe I wrote a couple of weeks ago, the new Le Creuset "Toughened
Non-Stick" is the best non-stick pan I've ever used...
memory foam mattress | adjustable mattresses | memory pillow

Last edited by mickrio : 17-02-2012 at 08:43 AM

frying pans! lainie General Cooking 43 31-10-2010 01:24 AM
'Healthy' frying pans [email protected] General Cooking 2 25-10-2007 09:34 PM
Buying new frying pans Matthew General Cooking 28 17-12-2006 09:42 PM
Opinions on Swiss Diamond frying pans please rq Cooking Equipment 0 02-10-2005 07:09 PM
Saute pan vs. Frying pan Steve Calvin General Cooking 13 28-01-2005 10:41 PM