Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default The smell about Sunbeam (longish, but worth it!)

Surprise!

Some Sunbeam branded products are not (1) made, (2) distributed, nor
(3) supported by Sunbeam (AKA Jarden Consumer etc.). Sunbeam compact
refrigerators (apparently sold *only* by and through Circuit City) are
made in China by companies unknown (compare Haier series), but
*distributed* by HLC Appliances, AKA Petters Worldwide and other
companies with similar names, all part of the Petters Group) , which
company is now in a world of hurt.

AFAIC from AP and other sources, the following seem to be true:

Sunbeam licensed its logo to Petters (and others) to sell products.
"In the expectation that they would adhere to the same high standards,
yada yada yada."

One of these companies, Petters Worldwide (google search OK here)
holds a small company called HLO Appliances, which manufactures(?) and
distributes and warrantees these products. All defunct.

Petters has been blown to the feds and some current and former execs
have already agreed to guilty pleas on a variety of charges. Think
fraud here, and money laundering, OOJ wire fraud, and so on. Fed
stuff...

Tom Petters, Founder and the CEO, resigned in late September, AIR.
Then he was arrested. Maybe Oct 3. The resignation was after a
surprise FBI raid and seizure of records, as I get it. He has been
confined in Illinois w/o bail pending trial, even though Petters is
headquartered in Minnetonka Minnesota. Petters' assets have been
frozen, per AP (go Drudge archive)

Petters' holding Sun Country Airlines has gone Ch. 11.

Jarden/Sunbeam says they are trying to contact the "manufacturer" of
the refrigerators (presumably over disconnected telephone lines, and
BTW the Petters website is down) to work out a resolution to the
problem. They admit to no responsibility for problems relating to
these Sunbeam products because they don't *own* them. (BTW: see also
Sunbeam Watercoolers, which they don't *own* either).

Buy Sunbeam at your own risk. I bought one, it is not good. Can't
reach Petters or HLC. Phones down, website dead, emails bounce or go
unanswered. Sunbeam? "Oh, I apologize, but that's not one of our
products..."

Circuit City? Perhaps the only retail seller of these items? "It's out
of my hands, but maybe if I partner with my manager we can determine
what can be done.... " This from their Corporate offices.

FWIW: This model, 4.5 cu ft, seems to be quite similar to the Haier
4.6, AKA Kenmore. FWIW2: I bought a replacement (sob) from Circuit
City under the Haier logo. Circuit City then, after delivery, informs
me they (Surprise!) have now discontinued Haier refrigerators. I
guess I got the last one. Oh, Yeah... they still sell Sunbeams...

Caveat emptor, foodies! Buy good stuff from reliable firms.

A-

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> Sunbeam licensed its logo to Petters (and others) to sell products.
> "In the expectation that they would adhere to the same high standards,
> yada yada yada."

I had a similar experience with a Koss branded home theater system. It
was identical to the Oritron models both sold at Best Buy, both for
about the same price. I got lucky in that the US headquarters were here
in St. Louis, and I established a good relationship with several
executives at their US HQ. Long story short, as a result of my
relationship, when my unit died two days out of warranty, they exchanged
me not for an identical unit but for the next unit up the model line.
That unit lasted almost three years. But along the way I was driving by
the US HQ and saw something that seemed odd to me, so I looped in and
discovered the US HQ was vacant, and a court serving was taped to the
front door.

A little research online revealed that Koss Home Electronics was a
license for the name to Consumer Electronics Corporation of China. Koss
pulled the license agreement due to excessive poor quality and its
impact on the real Koss Corporation. I knew that repair was no longer
an option, and over the next couple months, landed a nice Magnavox
surround sound amp at a garage and JVC upconvert DVD via a special
purchase at Aldi's (go fig). When the Koss did die (anticipated), I
swapped things off and all is well.

But yes, not just on cooking items, but anything of major value. Before
buying, take advantage of the power of a properly harvested internet to
do your homework. It can save you money and grief later on. And if you
discover questionable things like Chemiker's Sunbeam or my Koss Home
Electronics, spread the word and save others undue agony.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> reach Petters or HLC. Phones down, website dead, emails bounce or go
> unanswered. Sunbeam? "Oh, I apologize, but that's not one of our
> products..."
>
> Circuit City? Perhaps the only retail seller of these items? "It's
> out
> of my hands, but maybe if I partner with my manager we can determine
> what can be done.... " This from their Corporate offices.
>
> FWIW: This model, 4.5 cu ft, seems to be quite similar to the Haier
> 4.6, AKA Kenmore. FWIW2: I bought a replacement (sob) from Circuit
> City under the Haier logo. Circuit City then, after delivery,
> informs
> me they (Surprise!) have now discontinued Haier refrigerators. I
> guess I got the last one. Oh, Yeah... they still sell Sunbeams...
>
> Caveat emptor, foodies! Buy good stuff from reliable firms.

Note that Tom Petters is currently having some legal problems.... to
put it mildly.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> But yes, not just on cooking items, but anything of major value. Before
> buying, take advantage of the power of a properly harvested internet to
> do your homework. It can save you money and grief later on. And if you
> discover questionable things like Chemiker's Sunbeam or my Koss Home
> Electronics, spread the word and save others undue agony.
>
> jt

Many good brand names have been sold to the highest bidder. Singer Sewing
machines had a few owners. I've seen Philco labeled products at a
Frigidaire plant that was, of course, owned by Electrolux, formerly owned by
White Westinghouse, Emerson Electric, etc. My company made parts for air
conditioners built at that plant. The same exact unit came down the
assembly line, but could get a Gibson, Norge, Magic Chef, Crosely, Philco,
Sears, Westinghouse, or a few other labels on it.

Frigidaire used to be one of the top brands when it was owned by General
Motors, but the quality has gone down quite a bit since them as it went for
a lower price point. I don't know how many of the brand names they still
use, but now they (air conditioners)come from overseas and the Edison, NJ
plant is closed.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:12:11 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>Frigidaire used to be one of the top brands when it was owned by General
>Motors, but the quality has gone down quite a bit since them as it went for
>a lower price point. I don't know how many of the brand names they still
>use, but now they (air conditioners)come from overseas and the Edison, NJ
>plant is closed.

Ah, the old, originally Westinghouse plant on route 27?

Memory lane: I worked summers there, testing and repairing televisions as a
kid...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default The smell ofo Sunbeam... update

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:03:45 -0600, Chemiker
> wrote:

>Surprise!
>
>Some Sunbeam branded products are not (1) made, (2) distributed, nor

Update:

My original concern was not that some Chinese firm was manufacturing
refrigerators under the Sunbeam logo, but that Sunbeam has yet to
accept responsibility for these products. They're Sunbeam but they're
not, if you take my meaning.

Anyhoo, that model of Haier fridge is being sold under the Kenmore
brand (Surprise!) AND they provide their own warrantees and service.

I'll be taking mine to Sears Home for repair.

Alex