Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kitchen cabinets

I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
mission style with the clean lines.

http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg

Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around it.
If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame. However
if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I said no and
the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all the drawers be the
same. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"MiamiCuse" > wrote in message
>I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
>mission style with the clean lines.
>
> http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg
>
> Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around
> it. If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame.
> However if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I
> said no and the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all the
> drawers be the same. Any thoughts?

Depends

If the drawer is on top and there is a door under it, I'd say you are
correct. If, however, a large drawer is taking the place of what would
normally be a door, I'd say it should have a frame. IMO, position, rather
than size, should be the deciding factor.

In general, top plain, bottom frame looks good, (as in the photo) but one
special cabinet with a large drawer and a frame on top would look out of
place.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
Is it just a matter of being easier to make?

In Europe and Asia it's always inset and anything else would be considered
inferior. Here even the more expensive cabinets are not inset.

MC

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Thu 11 Oct 2007 06:49:26p, MiamiCuse meant to say...

> I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
> mission style with the clean lines.
>
> http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co.../MISSION_lg.jp
>
> Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around
> it. If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame.
> However if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I
> said no and the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all
> the drawers be the same. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

First, let me say that I love the Mission style. Personally, however, I
think the plain drawer front is too plain, regardless of size. If it were
mine, I would want them all framed. Regardless of the frame, at the very
least, I would want them all alike. JMO

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:49:26 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
> wrote:

>I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
>mission style with the clean lines.
>
>http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg
>
>Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around it.
>If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame. However
>if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I said no and
>the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all the drawers be the
>same. Any thoughts?

I went with a simiiiar style in dark cherry for the kitchen re-do
discussed extensively here about 18 months ago. I went with the frame
on all the doore and drawers, and like the look very much.

But there is one major problem with that style in some cabinet lines:
the inside drawer box is screwed from behind into the drawer front.
And on this style door, the front panel is extremely thin inside the
frame. So I would recommend you look very closely at how your
particular line of cabinets secures the front panel to the drawer, and
make sure they are solidly screwed, glued, and tattooed. (OK, not
tattooed.)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

MiamiCuse wrote:

> oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
> doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
> Is it just a matter of being easier to make?
>
> In Europe and Asia it's always inset and anything else would be considered
> inferior. Here even the more expensive cabinets are not inset.

I guess it depends on exactly _where_ in Europe you mean. My cabinet
doors, and those of my cousins, are not inset. The cabinet carcase is
not visible when the doors are closed, as they would be if the doors
were inset.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> MiamiCuse wrote:
>
>> oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
>> doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
>> Is it just a matter of being easier to make?
>>
>> In Europe and Asia it's always inset and anything else would be
>> considered inferior. Here even the more expensive cabinets are not
>> inset.
>>

> I guess it depends on exactly _where_ in Europe you mean. My cabinet
> doors, and those of my cousins, are not inset. The cabinet carcase is not
> visible when the doors are closed, as they would be if the doors were
> inset.

I think what he is describing is what you have. In the past, cabinets here
were made with a face frame and the doors are flush with the face frame.
Now, cabinets are often made with the so called "Euro Style" hinges and
doors because of the simplicity of construction and clean looking design.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>>MiamiCuse wrote:
>>>oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
>>>doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
>>>Is it just a matter of being easier to make?
>>>

>>I guess it depends on exactly _where_ in Europe you mean. My cabinet
>>doors, and those of my cousins, are not inset. The cabinet carcase is not
>>visible when the doors are closed, as they would be if the doors were
>>inset.

> I think what he is describing is what you have. In the past, cabinets here
> were made with a face frame and the doors are flush with the face frame.
> Now, cabinets are often made with the so called "Euro Style" hinges and
> doors because of the simplicity of construction and clean looking design.

Ah - inset _hinges_, not inset doors and drawers. You're a better
mind-reader than I am!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, MiamiCuse > wrote:

>oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
>doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
>Is it just a matter of being easier to make?
>
>In Europe and Asia it's always inset and anything else would be considered
>inferior. Here even the more expensive cabinets are not inset.

Hi,

Some are inset, but not very many. All the built-in cabinetry in my 1891
house has inset doors. When I redo my kitchen I'd like inset doors. For one
they keep out the dust better. Here's a page of doors that has some that
are inset, but they are very much in the minority:

http://www.pennvillecabinetry.com/Doors/Doors1.htm

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>

>>>I guess it depends on exactly _where_ in Europe you mean. My cabinet
>>>doors, and those of my cousins, are not inset. The cabinet carcase is
>>>not visible when the doors are closed, as they would be if the doors were
>>>inset.

>> I think what he is describing is what you have. In the past, cabinets
>> here were made with a face frame and the doors are flush with the face
>> frame. Now, cabinets are often made with the so called "Euro Style"
>> hinges and doors because of the simplicity of construction and clean
>> looking design.

> Ah - inset _hinges_, not inset doors and drawers. You're a better
> mind-reader than I am!

No I am talking about inset doors. I think the reason they make the doors
this way is because the cabinet itself and the doors can be made separately
and not as noticable if they were made of different materials. If it's inset
they must match nicely.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:49:26 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
>>mission style with the clean lines.
>>
>>http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg
>>
>>Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around
>>it.
>>If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame.
>>However
>>if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I said no
>>and
>>the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all the drawers be
>>the
>>same. Any thoughts?

> I went with a simiiiar style in dark cherry for the kitchen re-do
> discussed extensively here about 18 months ago. I went with the frame
> on all the doore and drawers, and like the look very much.
>
> But there is one major problem with that style in some cabinet lines:
> the inside drawer box is screwed from behind into the drawer front.
> And on this style door, the front panel is extremely thin inside the
> frame. So I would recommend you look very closely at how your
> particular line of cabinets secures the front panel to the drawer, and
> make sure they are solidly screwed, glued, and tattooed. (OK, not
> tattooed.)
>
> -- Larry

Good point, I will check to see the thickness of the door panel.

MC

Posted to rec.food.equipment

MiamiCuse wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>>Ah - inset _hinges_, not inset doors and drawers. You're a better
>>mind-reader than I am!

> No I am talking about inset doors. I think the reason they make the doors
> this way is because the cabinet itself and the doors can be made separately
> and not as noticable if they were made of different materials. If it's inset
> they must match nicely.

Out of curiousity - whereabouts in Europe have you found that type of
inset door to be common? It's not something I've noticed in the UK.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Don Wiss wrote:

> Some are inset, but not very many. All the built-in cabinetry in my 1891
> house has inset doors. When I redo my kitchen I'd like inset doors. For one
> they keep out the dust better. Here's a page of doors that has some that
> are inset, but they are very much in the minority:
>
> http://www.pennvillecabinetry.com/Doors/Doors1.htm

Now that I think of it, the only place(s) I've seen that kind of cabinet
style, has been in houses which are at least 100 years old. And the
cabinetry was site-built, like all the doors and windows.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message

> Some are inset, but not very many. All the built-in cabinetry in my 1891
> house has inset doors. When I redo my kitchen I'd like inset doors. For
> one
> they keep out the dust better. Here's a page of doors that has some that
> are inset, but they are very much in the minority:
>
> http://www.pennvillecabinetry.com/Doors/Doors1.htm

A variation of the typical face frame cabinet construction. It is not inset
as much as added on tot he outside of the carcase. That face frame cost
money and requires precise alignment, thus the newer styles.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

MiamiCuse wrote:
> I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on the
> mission style with the clean lines.
>
> http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg
>
> Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame around it.
> If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the frame. However
> if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a frame? I said no and
> the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of want all the drawers be the
> same. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

It may have to do with the dimension of the wood used, too. If it was an
18" high drawer, well, there just isn't much lumber that is that wide.
It just makes sense to have it with a frame as it would look too much
like they used plywood or some solid material.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melondy" > wrote in message
. net...
> MiamiCuse wrote:
>> I am redoing my kitchen and looking at new cabinets. We decided on
>> the mission style with the clean lines.
>>
>> http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...MISSION_lg.jpg
>>
>> Now the debate is, if it's a cabinet door, it will have the frame
>> around it. If it's a normal drawer, it will be just a slab without the
>> frame. However if it's a deep drawer, say 18" deep, should it have a
>> frame? I said no and the cabinet maker says it should. But I sort of
>> want all the drawers be the same. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> MC

> It may have to do with the dimension of the wood used, too. If it was
> an 18" high drawer, well, there just isn't much lumber that is that
> wide. It just makes sense to have it with a frame as it would look too
> much like they used plywood or some solid material.
>
> Melondy

It could be glued up. That is what they do with furniture. Does the
cabinet maker have a reason beyond aesthetics?

del

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"MiamiCuse" > wrote in message
> oh while I am at it, why are kitchen cabinets in the US are such that the
> doors and drawers are on top of the cabinet box instead of inset into it?
> Is it just a matter of being easier to make?
>
> In Europe and Asia it's always inset and anything else would be considered
> inferior. Here even the more expensive cabinets are not inset.
>
> MC

When we did our kitchen last year our kitchen cabinet maker had an inset
design that I really liked.

I only nixed it when we realized that the interiors of the cabinets were a
bit shorter by having the cabinet doors inset and some of the options
available for other cabinets (Knife block slide-out trash cans, lazy susan)
were not available for this style.

In retrospect, I would have done without these or found alternate sources
for those items and would have been just fine with it. Of course, hindsight
is always 20-20. :-)

Jon