Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Libertyware stock pots

Does anyone have any experience with Libertyware brand pots? I noticed
them recently, and they claim to have an 8mm aluminum clad bottom. I'm
looking to get a stockpot. This sounds hard to beat, and they're
priced for hotel use. That is to say, the pots are way cheaper than
Sitram Profisserie or Paderno Grand Gourmet, around the price range of
Vollrath Classic. Can anyone tell me about the quality and
construction of this brand?

On a similar note, does anyone know the thickness of the aluminum
layer on the bottom of Vollrath Classic stock pots?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 May 2007 07:19:51 -0700, ranson > wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with Libertyware brand pots? I noticed
>them recently, and they claim to have an 8mm aluminum clad bottom. I'm
>looking to get a stockpot. This sounds hard to beat, and they're
>priced for hotel use. That is to say, the pots are way cheaper than
>Sitram Profisserie or Paderno Grand Gourmet, around the price range of
>Vollrath Classic. Can anyone tell me about the quality and
>construction of this brand?
>
>On a similar note, does anyone know the thickness of the aluminum
>layer on the bottom of Vollrath Classic stock pots?

I think most people don't care -- the stock pot is about the least critical item
of cooking equipment there is. Heating time and heat distribution are not at all
very important when faced with long cooking times and large quantities. Volume
and diameter (relative to your burners) are about all that matter. So go ahead
and buy by price.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 18, 11:10 am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On 18 May 2007 07:19:51 -0700, ranson > wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have any experience with Libertyware brand pots? I noticed
> >them recently, and they claim to have an 8mm aluminum clad bottom. I'm
> >looking to get a stockpot. This sounds hard to beat, and they're
> >priced for hotel use. That is to say, the pots are way cheaper than
> >Sitram Profisserie or Paderno Grand Gourmet, around the price range of
> >Vollrath Classic. Can anyone tell me about the quality and
> >construction of this brand?

> >On a similar note, does anyone know the thickness of the aluminum
> >layer on the bottom of Vollrath Classic stock pots?

> I think most people don't care -- the stock pot is about the least critical item
> of cooking equipment there is. Heating time and heat distribution are not at all
> very important when faced with long cooking times and large quantities. Volume
> and diameter (relative to your burners) are about all that matter. So go ahead
> and buy by price.
>
> -- Larry

Admittedly, I don't care about quick heating. But, I would like lack
of hot spots, because the pot will be used for more than just stock.
I'm not overly concerned about thickness, merely curious. However,
good construction is big thing for me, especially for one of the
heaviest pots in a kitchen. I want well-attached and easy-to-hold
handles, sturdy sides, etc.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 May 2007 09:13:50 -0700, ranson > wrote:

>.... But, I would like lack
>of hot spots, because the pot will be used for more than just stock.
>I'm not overly concerned about thickness, merely curious. However,
>good construction is big thing for me, especially for one of the
>heaviest pots in a kitchen....

Here, the 12-qt stock pot, a thick Calphalon anodized aluminum non-stick, is a
fraction of the weight of the monster 14", 4" deep Mauviel copper saute pan!

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Your saute pan, of which I am admittedly envious, weighs perhaps 15
lbs, and at full capacity, would carry maybe 20. A 17qt stockpot, at
full capacity, could carry up to 30lbs, and weighs around 5. 35 pounds
is 35 pounds, the way I see it. The saute pan will see more tossing,
but I wouldn't want either to have a poorly made handle.

It doesn't look like people have used Libertyware. I'll order some and
see how it performs.

John

On May 18, 11:21 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:

> Here, the 12-qt stock pot, a thick Calphalon anodized aluminum non-stick, is a
> fraction of the weight of the monster 14", 4" deep Mauviel copper saute pan!
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I just got my new Libertyware stockpot (and brewpot). They are very
sturdily constructed. The handles are large loops with quite a few
spot-welds holding them in place. The sides of the pot are thick and
don't bend. The bottom is very thick. I can't really measure it, but
the claimed 8mm aluminum looks to be true. No matter how you use the
pot, you won't be troubled with hot spots. The pots look nice, but the
smooth outside finish isn't perfect-- par for restaurant cookware.

Also, I got a Browne-Halco Futura saucepot. It's just a little bit
thinner than the Libertyware, but similarly constructed-- really just
as nice. I think the pot is quite aesthetically pleasing. It has an
even matte finish on the outside that ends a little below the rim.

I would recommend both brands. If you need your new pot right away,
make sure to check if they're back-ordered. I ordered through
ablekitchenware.com, and both brands shipped from the manufacturers
warehouses. The Browne-Halco shipped immediately, but the Libertyware
took 5 weeks to arrive. (And I'm still waiting on a lid.)

There's my two cents.

John

Two pots of... King's Crown[_3_] General Cooking 101 23-12-2009 03:07 PM
Stock pots Dig Cooking Equipment 9 23-09-2007 09:05 PM
Chicken stock and stock pots DawnK Cooking Equipment 30 23-10-2003 06:22 PM
Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range Peter Lampione Cooking Equipment 24 07-10-2003 11:17 PM
Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range Peter Lampione General Cooking 26 07-10-2003 09:05 PM