Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default store-specific versions of appliances

Hello all.

Can anybody explain what is the deal with this?

For example, while in Lowe's today, I ran into a gas range model #
FGFLMC55E by Frigidaire, which seems to be a Lowe's-specific version
of PLGFMZ96EC and costs $400 less.

The two models look like twins, and have the same (at least main)
parameters -- power of burners, convection oven, second oven, etc.

The FGF model is not in the standard Frigidaire catalogue.

(When I asked a salesperson to explain this, he wasn't able to)

What is this? Is the quality comparable? Why such a price
difference?

Thanks in advance,
Arkadiy

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Arkadiy" > wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Can anybody explain what is the deal with this?
>
> For example, while in Lowe's today, I ran into a gas range model #
> FGFLMC55E by Frigidaire, which seems to be a Lowe's-specific version
> of PLGFMZ96EC and costs $400 less.
>
> The two models look like twins, and have the same (at least main)
> parameters -- power of burners, convection oven, second oven, etc.
>
> The FGF model is not in the standard Frigidaire catalogue.
>
> (When I asked a salesperson to explain this, he wasn't able to)
>
> What is this? Is the quality comparable? Why such a price
> difference?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arkadiy

Manufacturers do make retailer specific model numbers. Often the purpose of this
is to avoid direct price comparisons between different retailers. Most retailers
with price matching policies will only match the price if the model number is
exactly the same. Some will match the price if the model number differs only by
a color code if the colors normally would cost the same (like black vs. white,
but not white vs. stainless). By having different retailer specific model
numbers, the price match guarantee is essentially meaningless.

I looked at the two model numbers you mention. I couldn't find an exact match
for either, but on the Lowes one perhaps you typed it wrong. I found FGFLMC55EC
at Lowes (for $1,098) and PLGFMZ96SBK at abt.com (for $1,176). But the specs are
not identical, and I would guess they are not identical on the ones you mention.
Sometimes little feature differences add a lot to the cost.

The other thing is where are you getting the price for model PLGFMZ96EC? The
price difference might be more reflective of the difference between the type of
retailer (national mass retailer vs. local appliance store) than the difference
in the models. Also the one price might be manufacturer's suggested list price
(MSRP) vs. the other being a street price (Lowes).

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 8, 2:48 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Arkadiy" > wrote:
> > Hello all.

> > Can anybody explain what is the deal with this?

> > For example, while in Lowe's today, I ran into a gas range model #
> > FGFLMC55E by Frigidaire, which seems to be a Lowe's-specific version
> > of PLGFMZ96EC and costs $400 less.

> > The two models look like twins, and have the same (at least main)
> > parameters -- power of burners, convection oven, second oven, etc.

> > The FGF model is not in the standard Frigidaire catalogue.

> > (When I asked a salesperson to explain this, he wasn't able to)

> > What is this? Is the quality comparable? Why such a price
> > difference?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Arkadiy

> Manufacturers do make retailer specific model numbers. Often the purpose of this
> is to avoid direct price comparisons between different retailers. Most retailers
> with price matching policies will only match the price if the model number is
> exactly the same. Some will match the price if the model number differs only by
> a color code if the colors normally would cost the same (like black vs. white,
> but not white vs. stainless). By having different retailer specific model
> numbers, the price match guarantee is essentially meaningless.
>
> I looked at the two model numbers you mention. I couldn't find an exact match
> for either, but on the Lowes one perhaps you typed it wrong. I found FGFLMC55EC
> at Lowes (for $1,098) and PLGFMZ96SBK at abt.com (for $1,176). But the specs are
> not identical, and I would guess they are not identical on the ones you mention.
> Sometimes little feature differences add a lot to the cost.
>
> The other thing is where are you getting the price for model PLGFMZ96EC?
> The price difference might be more reflective of the difference between the type of
> retailer (national mass retailer vs. local appliance store) than the difference
> in the models. Also the one price might be manufacturer's suggested list price
> (MSRP) vs. the other being a street price (Lowes).

For the purpose of comparison I found it on the Lowe's web site. MSRP
is $100 more.

Well, as I looked further into it, Frigidaire has 3 lines of
products. PLG is the "professional", the most expensive line. FLF --
the cheapest line.

I had the impression that which line a particular product belonges to
gets determined by the features. The PLG I mentioned has second owen
and convection owen, and is near the top of the line (36 and 42 in
ranges more expensive than it). Looking at the Frigidaire catalogue,
there is no FLF with similar features. However, this particular FLF
in Lowe's is packed with the same features, and it's price is much
higher than any FLF in the catalogue, but not nearly as high as this
PLG.

(I used the catalogue at the Frigidaire web site)

In Lowes they have a catalogue that contains both. This particular
FLF is marked "Lowes only".

Still a mistery for me

Regards,
Arkadiy

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Arkadiy" > wrote:
> Well, as I looked further into it, Frigidaire has 3 lines of
> products. PLG is the "professional", the most expensive line. FLF --
> the cheapest line.
>
> I had the impression that which line a particular product belonges to
> gets determined by the features. The PLG I mentioned has second owen
> and convection owen, and is near the top of the line (36 and 42 in
> ranges more expensive than it). Looking at the Frigidaire catalogue,
> there is no FLF with similar features. However, this particular FLF
> in Lowe's is packed with the same features, and it's price is much
> higher than any FLF in the catalogue, but not nearly as high as this
> PLG.
>
> (I used the catalogue at the Frigidaire web site)
>
> In Lowes they have a catalogue that contains both. This particular
> FLF is marked "Lowes only".
>
> Still a mistery for me

Okay, I found both ranges on Lowes site, and found that catalog on the
Frigidaire site. There are several differences, and I suspect they are charging
a pretty steep price for those features. Maybe the features just aren't worth
the money to you.

Some of the differences a
- Maxx Clean
- Vari-Broil
- EvenCook3 Convection System
- Sabbath Mode

There's probably more than just these I see. I think it's just the Frigidaire
feels they can get a lot more money for those features. I had a similar thing
with an Amana dishwasher I bought last year. The Maytag and the Amana were the
same in all the major areas, and used the exact same mechanical components. But
the Maytag had fancier rack features, using different colors for these pieces.
It also had more cycle options. I'm sure these things didn't cost Maytag more
than $25 extra, but they certainly charged a whole lot more (MSRP to MSRP).
Maytag and Amana are the same company, just different brand names, like Ford and
Mercury.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "Arkadiy" > wrote:
> > Well, as I looked further into it, Frigidaire has 3 lines of
> > products. PLG is the "professional", the most expensive line. FLF --
> > the cheapest line.
> >
> > I had the impression that which line a particular product belonges to
> > gets determined by the features. The PLG I mentioned has second owen
> > and convection owen, and is near the top of the line (36 and 42 in
> > ranges more expensive than it). Looking at the Frigidaire catalogue,
> > there is no FLF with similar features. However, this particular FLF
> > in Lowe's is packed with the same features, and it's price is much
> > higher than any FLF in the catalogue, but not nearly as high as this
> > PLG.
> >
> > (I used the catalogue at the Frigidaire web site)
> >
> > In Lowes they have a catalogue that contains both. This particular
> > FLF is marked "Lowes only".
> >
> > Still a mistery for me

> Okay, I found both ranges on Lowes site, and found that catalog on the
> Frigidaire site. There are several differences, and I suspect they are charging
> a pretty steep price for those features. Maybe the features just aren't worth
> the money to you.
>
> Some of the differences a
> - Maxx Clean
> - Vari-Broil
> - EvenCook3 Convection System
> - Sabbath Mode

Thanks for pointing this out. I only looked at major features, such
as presence of convection or a second owen. When you look at the same
line, like PLG, they are just adding these features along with
increasing the price. Apparently, when comparing different lines,
it's more complicated... Such as in this case, they packed this FLF
with advanced major features, but it didn't put it into a different
line (It would be good to know what exactly determins the line). For
comparison, a PLG w/o the second owen costs only $100 less (MSRP).

Regards,
Arkadiy