Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Knife Tips Chipped in Dishwasher?

I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). One of my
old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out. I wash them in
the dishwasher (which has been having issues properly cycling), and I've
only noticed the chipping at about the same time. The knives are placed
in the utensil rack on the bottom rack. Can table knives experience
chipping in the dishwasher? If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
malfunction, or something else? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

>Can table knives experience
>chipping in the dishwasher?

Yes.

>If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
>malfunction, or something else?

It indicates that you should be washing those knives by hand.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"M.H." > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Can table knives experience
> chipping in the dishwasher?

Yes

> If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
> malfunction, or something else? Thanks.

Something else. Operator malfunction. If they are quality knives they
should be washed by hand. If they are everyday cheap-o knives, be sure they
don't bang into stuff in the DW.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

M.H. wrote:
> I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
> chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
> you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). One of my
> old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out. I wash them in
> the dishwasher (which has been having issues properly cycling), and I've
> only noticed the chipping at about the same time. The knives are placed
> in the utensil rack on the bottom rack. Can table knives experience
> chipping in the dishwasher? If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
> malfunction, or something else? Thanks.

Well, maybe - maybe not. Are you talking about butter style
knives or sharp knives?

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"M.H." > wrote

>I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
> chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
> you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). One of my
> old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out.

Is someone using your knives to pry things apart, like
frozen chicken breasts or something? Other than that, if
it's anything to do with the dishwasher, perhaps they
should be loaded differently so the tips aren't getting stuck
in the basket.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"M.H." > wrote in message
hlink.net...
>I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
> chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
> you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). One of my
> old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out. I wash them in
> the dishwasher (which has been having issues properly cycling), and I've
> only noticed the chipping at about the same time. The knives are placed
> in the utensil rack on the bottom rack. Can table knives experience
> chipping in the dishwasher? If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
> malfunction, or something else? Thanks.

It's my understanding that dishwasher detergent contains lye, which will
degenerate sharpened knife edges. Not sure if this is your situation, but
you shouldn't use your dishwasher for good knives anyway.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Well, maybe - maybe not. Are you talking about butter style knives or
> sharp knives?

Butter knives.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

M.H. wrote:
> I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
> chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
> you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). One of my
> old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out. I wash them in
> the dishwasher (which has been having issues properly cycling), and I've
> only noticed the chipping at about the same time. The knives are placed
> in the utensil rack on the bottom rack. Can table knives experience
> chipping in the dishwasher? If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
> malfunction, or something else? Thanks.

I'd buy a few sets of screwdrivers and make sure everyone in the
household knows where they are.

It sounds as though your knives are being used for Other Purposes than
cutting food.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> It sounds as though your knives are being used for Other Purposes than
> cutting food.
>
> gloria p

Well, there's me, and the cats...unless maintenance is abusing my knives...
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 11:59�am, Puester > wrote:
> M.H. wrote:
> > I have some stainless steel table knives that appear to be experiencing
> > chipping up around the tip, and one also has a slight mushroom head (if
> > you look at it straight on, the tip has a slight "T" shape). *One of my
> > old knives had a major chip, and had to be thrown out. *I wash them in
> > the dishwasher (which has been having issues properly cycling), and I've
> > only noticed the chipping at about the same time. *The knives are placed
> > in the utensil rack on the bottom rack. *Can table knives experience
> > chipping in the dishwasher? *If so, does that indicate a dishwasher
> > malfunction, or something else? *Thanks.

> I'd buy a few sets of screwdrivers and make sure everyone in the
> household knows where they are.
>
> It sounds as though your knives are being used for Other Purposes than
> cutting food.

Agreed. Typically it's carbon steel knives that chip; from dropping
on a hard surface, from cutting into bone, etc.... but with stainless
steel the cheaper it is the softer it is so the more likely it is to
bend, not chip. It's only the very best quality stainless steel
cutlery that is tempered hard enough (brittle enough) to chip, and
still, rarely. A chipped knife is a sure sign of abuse, and no way
from any dishwasher... not unless the knife was placed into the basket
blade down and the bottom of the basket was damaged in such a way that
the tip of the knife extended enough to smack into the washer cabinet
when the rack is moved in or out, or some such contact, maybe a spray
arm whacking into the tip... but still, cheap stainless would bend,
not chip.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

M.H. wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Well, maybe - maybe not. Are you talking about butter style knives or
>> sharp knives?

> Butter knives.

That's very bizarre then. SS shouldn't chip. Bend maybe,
and even that's a stretch. I put all of our SS in the
dishwasher and have for years with no problem. Is the bottom
of the basket broken by any chance so that the tips go
through to the point where the spray arm could whack 'em?

My good knives of course never go in to the dishwasher. They
are hand washed and dried immediately after use.