Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Freezer Temperature Gauge

Does anyone have a favorite thermometer or temperature gauge, for your
freezer. How low will it measure?

Thanks,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:34:43 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>Does anyone have a favorite thermometer or temperature gauge, for your
>freezer. How low will it measure?

I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4", with a
wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the freezer wall for the
probe, then sealed the hole around the wire with epoxy. Mounted the thermometer
itself on the outside of the freezer. I used it for a year with the cable just
run through the door seal -- doesn't seem to be any difference since I installed
it permanently.

The thermometer goes way down below zero F, but the freezer doesn't.

You could use one of the wireless ones as well, with more batteries to deal
with.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst said...

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:34:43 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a favorite thermometer or temperature gauge, for your
>>freezer. How low will it measure?

> I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4",
> with a wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the freezer
> wall for the probe, then sealed the hole around the wire with epoxy.
> Mounted the thermometer itself on the outside of the freezer. I used it
> for a year with the cable just run through the door seal -- doesn't seem
> to be any difference since I installed it permanently.
>
> The thermometer goes way down below zero F, but the freezer doesn't.
>
> You could use one of the wireless ones as well, with more batteries to
> deal with.
>
> -- Larry

That's the lamest suggestion I've ever heard! As often as I'd care to know
the temperature in the freezer, a cheapo analog thermometer would work
fine.

I'm reminded of the droid at Radio Shack who, when I said I couldn't have a
satellite dish because of the 150+ foot pine trees around the house,
suggested I cut down a few!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Andy wrote:
> pltrgyst said...
>
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:34:43 -0800, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have a favorite thermometer or temperature gauge, for
>>> your freezer. How low will it measure?

>> I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4",
>> with a wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the
>> freezer wall for the probe, then sealed the hole around the wire
>> with epoxy. Mounted the thermometer itself on the outside of the
>> freezer. I used it for a year with the cable just run through the
>> door seal -- doesn't seem to be any difference since I installed it
>> permanently.
>>
>> The thermometer goes way down below zero F, but the freezer doesn't.
>>
>> You could use one of the wireless ones as well, with more batteries
>> to deal with.
>>
>> -- Larry

> That's the lamest suggestion I've ever heard! As often as I'd care to
> know the temperature in the freezer, a cheapo analog thermometer
> would work fine.

It's actually a very *good* suggestion. The OP has a reason for wanting a
thermometer for the freezer, which indicates that an accurate checking of
said thermometer is a concern. Larry's suggestion, which takes very little
time to implement, allows thermometer readings without the need to open the
freezer. That saves wear and tear on the compressor from having to
needlessly re-cool the freezer's interior, which also can affect -- however
incrementally -- the quality of freezer food storage. This becomes
dramatically more important during a power outage; the last thing you want
to do is to needlesly introduce warm air while trying to determine if
measures, like dry ice, are needed to preserve the frozen food.

Larry's suggestion will also allow a more accurate reading of the freezer's
temp. Opening the door, allowing warm air into the interior, quickly causes
an analog thermometer to react to the warming temperature. By the time the
thermometer has the frosty vapor from intruding warm air wiped from its
face, along with accurately reading the thermometers scale, there can be
quite a discrepency between the freezer's actual temperature and the
temperature reading from the thermometer. An exterior digital read-out takes
just a quick glance in order to take an accurate reading.

The one thing I would mention is that if the OP would rather skip drilling a
hole into the freezer, it is a simple manner to allow the probe wire to exit
the freezer door. The door gasket will not hurt the probe wire, and the door
will seal just fine. The probe wire can be fastened into place with duct
tape on the interior wall of the freezer.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:34:43 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a favorite thermometer or temperature gauge, for your
>>freezer. How low will it measure?

> I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4",
> with a wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the
> freezer wall for the probe, then sealed the hole around the wire with
> epoxy. Mounted the thermometer itself on the outside of the freezer. I
> used it for a year with the cable just run through the door seal --
> doesn't seem to be any difference since I installed it permanently.
>
> The thermometer goes way down below zero F, but the freezer doesn't.

I've done the same thing with a digital Timex indoor/outdoor
thermometer. The "indoor" base lives in the fridge, and the
too-thin-to-matter wire to the "outdoor probe" runs into the ffreezer;
as you say, it's too small to bother the seal. Both units have a little
suction cup on the back -- just fine for those slick walls in the fridge
and freezer. (They also have peel'n'stick adhesive pads.) I have the
base unit set so it's display alternates between "indoor" (fridge) and
"outdoor" freezer temps every three or four seconds.

> You could use one of the wireless ones as well, with more batteries to
> deal with.

I did that just for the heck of it, once, when I bought a four-zone
(base and three remotes) digital household thermometer (from Radio
Shack). Mostly it was a test to see how long it would take the
thermometer to reflect the extreme temperature change.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:53:28 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>pltrgyst said...
>
>> I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4",
>> with a wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the freezer
>> wall for the probe, then sealed the hole around the wire with epoxy.
>> Mounted the thermometer itself on the outside of the freezer. I used it
>> for a year with the cable just run through the door seal -- doesn't seem
>> to be any difference since I installed it permanently.

>That's the lamest suggestion I've ever heard! As often as I'd care to know
>the temperature in the freezer, a cheapo analog thermometer would work
>fine.

I guess you must be deaf then. 8

These digitals cost me $7 each, and I installed four of them on two
refrigerator-freezers in around half an hour total. Now I don't have to open any
of the doors to check the temps at a glance.

BTW, why do you think many new high-end refrigerator-freezers have such digital
temp. readouts designed in?

Hint: you may not want them, which is fine for you, but others of us do.

-- Larry (who doesn't trust "cheapo analog thermometers" anywhere...)
Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst said...

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:53:28 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>pltrgyst said...
>>
>>> I use a small Radio Shack digital thermometer, about 2" x 2" x 3/4",
>>> with a wired remote probe. Just drilled a small hole through the
>>> freezer wall for the probe, then sealed the hole around the wire with
>>> epoxy. Mounted the thermometer itself on the outside of the freezer. I
>>> used it for a year with the cable just run through the door seal --
>>> doesn't seem to be any difference since I installed it permanently.

>>That's the lamest suggestion I've ever heard! As often as I'd care to
>>know the temperature in the freezer, a cheapo analog thermometer would
>>work fine.

> I guess you must be deaf then. 8
>
> These digitals cost me $7 each, and I installed four of them on two
> refrigerator-freezers in around half an hour total. Now I don't have to
> open any of the doors to check the temps at a glance.
>
> BTW, why do you think many new high-end refrigerator-freezers have such
> digital temp. readouts designed in?
>
> Hint: you may not want them, which is fine for you, but others of us do.
>
> -- Larry (who doesn't trust "cheapo analog thermometers" anywhere...)

Why bother running the risk of drilling through cooling coils in the wall
and then killing the unit in the process. If there are any wires you as
well could kill yourself. Unless you have a clear working knowledge about
the internal construction inside the wall, you really are taking a huge
risk.

You don't seem bothered passing out potentially dangerous advice.

You also sound certifiably anal to constantly need to know the temp of your
freezer. What are you going to do if the temperature shifts a degree here
or there? Call a repairman? Cry? Blame the thermometer?

This is another fine example of a solution looking for a problem.

You're distrust of analog thermometers is equally absurd.

As long as food stays frozen, I really could care less what the temperature
is.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:05:04 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Why bother running the risk of drilling through cooling coils in the wall
>and then killing the unit in the process. If there are any wires you as
>well could kill yourself. Unless you have a clear working knowledge about
>the internal construction inside the wall, you really are taking a huge
>risk.

The simplest and safest place to do this is the door itself -- unless, in your
paranoia, Andy, you think there is AC voltage or coolant somehow routed through
the door hinges. Given your intellect, you would probably be safest living in a
home without electricity. Or simply in "a home".

>You also sound certifiably anal to constantly need to know the temp of your
>freezer. What are you going to do if the temperature shifts a degree here
>or there? Call a repairman? Cry? Blame the thermometer?

Your ridiculous hyperbole aside, if I should notice a problem, I'd first adjust
the settings.

>You're distrust of analog thermometers is equally absurd.

It's not distrust -- all thermometers have to be calibrated. It's the difficulty
of reading them (and interpolating to scale) with 60-year-old eyes that have had
major surgery.

>As long as food stays frozen, I really could care less what the temperature
>is.

That's because you're a moron, Andy.

How do you judge "frozen"? Water freezes at 32 deg F. Other liquids -- such as
blood in meat -- freeze at different temperatures. Most food experts recommend
home freezers be set to hold 0 deg F or below. How do you eyeball the difference
between, say, 0 and 20 deg F?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Have a nice life.