Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Target Chefmate Enameled Cast Iron

I just picked up a Chefmate enameled cast iron dutch oven at my local
Target. (yay!) So, for one thing, if you're still searching for one
after reading the Cook's Illustrated reviews, they're still out
there! I got mine in Duluth, GA, but it was the last one (sorry).
Bright red, no chips.

Has anyone tried washing theirs in the dishwasher? I don't know how to
take their recommendation to handwash it -- sometimes the only reason
not to put it in the dishwasher is to maintain its cosmetic appeal,
and to an extent I'm willing to let mine start looking used early
(although I'd rather hand-wash the thing if it's going to turn
splotchy orange and green or something). Anyway, just wanted to find
out if anyone had tried and regretted it...

TIA,
Laura

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote:
> Has anyone tried washing theirs in the dishwasher? I don't know how to
> take their recommendation to handwash it -- sometimes the only reason
> not to put it in the dishwasher is to maintain its cosmetic appeal,
> and to an extent I'm willing to let mine start looking used early
> (although I'd rather hand-wash the thing if it's going to turn
> splotchy orange and green or something). Anyway, just wanted to find
> out if anyone had tried and regretted it...

For reference, Le Creuset says their cast iron is dishwasher safe.
Personally, I'm not ready to trust that recommendation. If there are any
bare metal spots (even if not visible to the human eye), rust is likely to
start. Plus I've got a lot of older porcelain enameled cast iron where there
were bare metal sections by design as originally manufactured (rims, "heat
ring" on base),
so I just hand wash it all. I'd just as soon not take up the room in the
dishwasher for the stuff anyway.

When I did look at some lower cost cookware of this type (the Martha Stewart
stuff they had at KMART), it appeared to have bare metal sections just like
my older cookware. I don't know about the stuff you got. If there is any
bare metal sections on yours, I'd certainly keep it out of the dishwasher.

If you do have sections that rust, you can normally remove the rust with a
Brillo pad (be careful not to damage the adjacent enamel), then wipe the
bare metal with some oil. Don't put it in the dishwasher for sure after
that, and make sure to dry it throughly right after washing.

As to the enamel getting splotchy, I can't see that happening. Enamel is
pretty immune to that.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried washing theirs in the dishwasher? I don't know how to
> take their recommendation to handwash it -- sometimes the only reason
> not to put it in the dishwasher is to maintain its cosmetic appeal,
> and to an extent I'm willing to let mine start looking used early

I'd bet that even tiny hairline crack would eventually be turned into a
rusting mess by the caustic detergent of a dishwasher.

Why not just buy a Lodge CI DO and season it and not worry as it will clean
up in just hot water?