Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Allure III steam test results

Well, here are the results using the hood when steaming:

http://tinypic.com/4ggtg5f.jpg
You can see where the lights are located on the front of the vent hood - and
the vents are to the rear of the lights. Obviously the steam is going up
onto the lights and making the stainless ledge that contains them wet with
steam.

Bad mistake to take the tiles down - a few of them were broken off taking
them down. As the vent sits out from the wall, they could've been left in
place, or re-installed. PITA.

http://tinypic.com/2h3c0n9.jpg
At a very hard boil, this is the pan I generally use to cook dried
spaghetti. Similar pan for soups. I used a lid on this to redirect the
steam, but didn't help.
This is the third stage fan setting. You can feel the steam outdoors 12'
away from the vent flap where it is exhausting, so it is going out well --
but not quickly enough it seems.

The front of the new stove has its larger burners on the right of the stove
in a triple ring of 6"-9"12".

I was hoping for better. I must've imagined the fan was going to push some
air forward, encircling, and pulling it back. Was I dreaming?

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> I was hoping for better. I must've imagined the fan was going to push some
> air forward, encircling, and pulling it back. Was I dreaming?
>
> Dee

I got one too and am relatively underwhelmed. If I remodel I might look
into a Ventahood and if that fails give up. I think for a hood to work
effectively you need it to be oversized and have a huge catch area (much
bigger than your cooking area). It might even help to have the distance
between vent and stove relatively small. Some of these things
compromise the aesthetics so it is always a tug of war between looks and
function.

I live in Texas and have a powerful propane burner outside and use that
for things that need good venting, like stir frys etc. So the
relatively wimpy Allure is an OK compromise for me (I probably would not
have bought it if I knew what I know now. Ultimately I would have
preferred paying more and getting better function).

Roland
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:17:26 -0500, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>Well, here are the results using the hood when steaming:
>
>http://tinypic.com/4ggtg5f.jpg
>You can see where the lights are located on the front of the vent hood - and
>the vents are to the rear of the lights. Obviously the steam is going up
>onto the lights and making the stainless ledge that contains them wet with
>steam.

Hmmm -- We've never had this happen.

>http://tinypic.com/2h3c0n9.jpg
>At a very hard boil, this is the pan I generally use to cook dried
>spaghetti. Similar pan for soups. I used a lid on this to redirect the
>steam, but didn't help.
>This is the third stage fan setting.

Here are some pictures I just took-

Fan setting 2:

http://www.xhost.org/images/k1.jpg
http://www.xhost.org/images/k2.jpg

At setting 2, some vapor does reach the front of the hood, but we've never had
any moisture that you could feel.

Fan setting 3:
http://www.xhost.org/images/k3.jpg
http://www.xhost.org/images/k4.jpg

Fan setting 4:
http://www.xhost.org/images/k5.jpg
http://www.xhost.org/images/k6.jpg

You can see how much more circular flow we're getting at the higher settings. I
haven't had a cooking situation yet that setting 4 couldn't handle (and it is
certainly a relief to not set off the smoke alarm any more!) I would think that
you've got a flow problem.

>I was hoping for better. I must've imagined the fan was going to push some
>air forward, encircling, and pulling it back. Was I dreaming?

It does, but not as well, IMO, as the first-generation Allure III that we had
last year, which had the blow vents in the bottom front edge of the hood. BTW,
you should also be getting some flow from two small openings at each end of the
trough in the front edge of the hood, in front of the lights, where the blow
vents used to be.

BTW, for comparison's sake, we've got 26.5 inches from cooktop to bottom of the
filters.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:30:56 -0600, Joe Doe > wrote:

>I got one too and am relatively underwhelmed...

Is yours an Allure III? There are significant differences among the three lines.

> If I remodel I might look
>into a Ventahood and if that fails give up. I think for a hood to work
>effectively you need it to be oversized and have a huge catch area (much
>bigger than your cooking area). It might even help to have the distance
>between vent and stove relatively small.

Agreed.

> So the relatively wimpy Allure is an OK compromise for me (I probably
>would not have bought it if I knew what I know now. Ultimately I would
>have preferred paying more and getting better function).

I agree: it would be nice to have one of those 1600+ cfm, big-hooded monsters
up high enough that I can't smack my head into it! Next house {sigh}...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
pltrgyst > wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:30:56 -0600, Joe Doe > wrote:
>
> >I got one too and am relatively underwhelmed...

> Is yours an Allure III? There are significant differences among the three
> lines.

Yes, and it vents straight up through the roof so should have
unobstructed flow. My range sits a bit offset from the wall and the
hood hugs the wall so the installation is not perfect ( went under and
through existing cabinet). My most powerful burner is in the front and
so it all aligns to perform relatively poorly (i.e. the hood is not
powerful enough to trump relatively poor positioning).

> I agree: it would be nice to have one of those 1600+ cfm, big-hooded
> monsters
> up high enough that I can't smack my head into it! Next house {sigh}...
>
> -- Larry

Good capture would be something high on my list as would low noise. I
know all these problems can be solved with money but I have chosen the
low tech approach - cook high heat stuff that needs great venting
outside. With a $100 54,000 BTU camp stove I saved myself investing $$$
in a Wok burner of equivalent + $$$ for necessary venting.

Roland

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:17:26 -0500, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>Well, here are the results using the hood when steaming:
>>
>>http://tinypic.com/4ggtg5f.jpg
>>You can see where the lights are located on the front of the vent hood -
>>and
>>the vents are to the rear of the lights. Obviously the steam is going up
>>onto the lights and making the stainless ledge that contains them wet with
>>steam.

> Hmmm -- We've never had this happen.
>
>>http://tinypic.com/2h3c0n9.jpg
>>At a very hard boil, this is the pan I generally use to cook dried
>>spaghetti. Similar pan for soups. I used a lid on this to redirect the
>>steam, but didn't help.
>>This is the third stage fan setting.

> Here are some pictures I just took-
>
> Fan setting 2:
>
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k1.jpg
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k2.jpg
>
> At setting 2, some vapor does reach the front of the hood, but we've never
> had
> any moisture that you could feel.
>
> Fan setting 3:
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k3.jpg
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k4.jpg
>
> Fan setting 4:
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k5.jpg
> http://www.xhost.org/images/k6.jpg
>
> You can see how much more circular flow we're getting at the higher
> settings. I
> haven't had a cooking situation yet that setting 4 couldn't handle (and it
> is
> certainly a relief to not set off the smoke alarm any more!) I would think
> that
> you've got a flow problem.
>
>>I was hoping for better. I must've imagined the fan was going to push some
>>air forward, encircling, and pulling it back. Was I dreaming?

> It does, but not as well, IMO, as the first-generation Allure III that we
> had
> last year, which had the blow vents in the bottom front edge of the hood.
> BTW,
> you should also be getting some flow from two small openings at each end
> of the
> trough in the front edge of the hood, in front of the lights, where the
> blow
> vents used to be.
>
> BTW, for comparison's sake, we've got 26.5 inches from cooktop to bottom
> of the
> filters.
>
> -- Larry

Hmm - we have a problem then. I can't thank you enough for your pictures.

There is teflon coated bottom cover which fits across and over the fan and
has a round opening for the fan intake which is above the left burner on the
stove. The cover is solid over the right burner. The filters snap into the
the teflon cover. The left side has good suction and a kleenix will stick to
it, but holding a kleenix on the right-hand-side of the stove, it will not
stick; it falls straight down and makes no pretense of pulling to the left.
That surely is why we are having the moisture on the front of right side of
the stove; it just doesn't seem to be moving the air to the left at all.

I can feel some air flow where you say "you should also be getting some flow
from two small openings at each end of the
> trough in the front edge of the hood, in front of the lights, where the
> blow
> vents used to be."

In the manual, it shows that one should have 30" (or 29?") from top of vent
hood to top of cooktop, which is what we have.
The measurement which you give as 26.5 (from cooktop to bottom of filters);
our measurement is 22.5.

We will be traveling tomorrow and hoping to have the time to stop at a few
Lowe's to pick someone's brains. John said he's going to do a mini-tune-up
install again; i.e., wiggling it around seeing if it will go into a better
fit.

Not giving up,
Thanks for the time it took for you to do the setup and pictures to send me.
I appreciate it, and maybe it will help others, too.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Good capture would be something high on my list as would low noise. I
> know all these problems can be solved with money but I have chosen the
> low tech approach - cook high heat stuff that needs great venting
> outside. With a $100 54,000 BTU camp stove I saved myself investing $$$
> in a Wok burner of equivalent + $$$ for necessary venting.
>
> Roland

Lucky you, Roland.
f-i-l gave us a low-priced propane grill, and good thing it was low priced.
Squirrels and chipmunks ate the gas hose ($26 each with regulator) several
times. Birds nested. Probably snakes, too.
We gave up on the outdoors. Besides, we have black-biting flies. One bite
on the face and the eyes will close up.

I do take a burner out, as I did today out of necessity, to boil some beet
greens.
And I always take the rice cooker outside as my previous Jenn-air would
never suck out the steam.

If we can get my Allure III working as well as Larry's, I'll be happy.
Dee