Dave Smith

Default I don't like Starbucks

Christopher Green wrote:

> Most of what Starbucks sells is bad and overpriced, but I will concede
> that they are the only chain coffee house that makes cappucino right.
> Cappucino is espresso, steamed milk with foam, and none of the junk
> that Diedrich's and others jazz it up with.

I have mixed feelings about Starbucks. They are outrageously expensive.
What they do offer is a comfortable ambiance. The problem is that most of
the Starbucks are are attached to a Chapters book store. There is limited
seating, and most of it is taken up my people reading books and doing
homework. They buy a coffee and then take up space for hours, leaving no
room for people like me who like to sit down and have a coffee and read
the newspaper, do a crossword and move on in about 25 minutes.

I used to stop at Starbucks once in a while on my coffee breaks, but the
service was soooooo slow.

Scott

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have mixed feelings about Starbucks. They are outrageously expensive.
> What they do offer is a comfortable ambiance. The problem is that most of
> the Starbucks are are attached to a Chapters book store. There is limited
> seating, and most of it is taken up my people reading books and doing
> homework. They buy a coffee and then take up space for hours, leaving no
> room for people like me who like to sit down and have a coffee and read
> the newspaper, do a crossword and move on in about 25 minutes.

Are they actual Starbucks, or Chapters bookstore cafes that serve
Starbucks coffee? At Barnes and Noble, for example, they serve Starbucks
coffee, but the operation is not run by Starbucks.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> Are they actual Starbucks, or Chapters bookstore cafes that serve
> Starbucks coffee? At Barnes and Noble, for example, they serve Starbucks
> coffee, but the operation is not run by Starbucks.

The signs on the front says Starbucks. They seem to have the same general
ambiance as Starbucks. They are definitely not a cafeteria type operation, just
a an area set off to one side of the Chapters' store which seem to be run by
Star bucks.

Dave Smith

JimLane wrote:

> In most of these stores, the employees are store employees and not paid
> by *$. Simple test: who pays you? Here they are in Barnes & Noble and
> Von's markets.

Truth of the matter is that I don't really care about their employment conditions,
what company they actually work for, or who pays them. Starbucks has not hit this
area in a big way.... yet<?>. I don't know if they ever will. I live in Tim Horton's
country. Hortons does not have nice comfy leather chairs or the warm atmosphere of
Starbucks, but I can get a decent cup of coffee there for a heck of a lot less. And I
won't go broke buying the snack that has been priced far beyond its quality.

I am delighted to see so many different coffee shops when I travel outside of this
area. Most of those coffee houses franchises have failed to crack the market here.
Like many of the small coffee shops,, they just can't seem to compete with Hortons.

A.C.

Scott wrote:

> Uh, South American rodent? If it's Kopi Luwak you're talking about, it's
> a civet, family Viverridae (closely related to mongooses). There's also
> a weasel-digested coffee from Vietnam.

no, it's a capybara! now that's one big ass rat! :-P

http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/

JimLane

A.C. wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>

>>Uh, South American rodent? If it's Kopi Luwak you're talking about, it's
>>a civet, family Viverridae (closely related to mongooses). There's also
>>a weasel-digested coffee from Vietnam.
>>

> no, it's a capybara! now that's one big ass rat! :-P

Not a word about coffee on the page.

If it is coffee that is the premise, then Kopi Luwak was the one that
made all the articles. It was the civet. After that, came information on
the weasel in Vietnam.

Plenty on this in alt.coffee if you care to google the group.

jim