FoodBanter.com

-   Coffee (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/)
-   -   Staining a stainless-steel thermos? (https://www.foodbanter.com/coffee/126756-staining-stainless-steel-thermos.html)

[email protected] 19-06-2007 04:29 PM

Staining a stainless-steel thermos?

On a recent Friday afternoon I was called away from my office on an
emergency, leaving behind my thermos mostly full of coffee. When I
arrived back at my office on Monday and emptied out the thermos
bottle, I discovered that the bottom was covered in little black
squiggly marks.

I tried washing it out using a narrow brush, but the marks remain. Is
my thermos permanently stained? Or worse, was the steel pitted by the
acidic coffee? Is that possible?

Thanks.

[email protected] 02-07-2007 09:43 PM

On Jun 19, 10:29 am, " > wrote:

> I tried washing it out using a narrow brush, but the marks remain. Is
> my thermos permanently stained? Or worse, was the steel pitted by the
> acidic coffee? Is that possible?

I ended up using a cleaning product called "Dip-It", and it worked
great. Removed all the stains, the interior of the thermos is shiny
and bright as new!

Roger Grady 07-07-2007 03:17 AM

" > wrote:

>I ended up using a cleaning product called "Dip-It", and it worked
>great. Removed all the stains, the interior of the thermos is shiny
>and bright as new!

I put a couple of teaspoons of dishwasher detergent in mine, fill it
with hot water and stir or shake to dissolve the detergent, let it set
for several hours. Clean with a bottle brush, comes out nice and
shiny.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address