Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Staining a stainless-steel thermos?

On a recent Friday afternoon I was called away from my office on an
emergency, leaving behind my thermos mostly full of coffee. When I
arrived back at my office on Monday and emptied out the thermos
bottle, I discovered that the bottom was covered in little black
squiggly marks.

I tried washing it out using a narrow brush, but the marks remain. Is
my thermos permanently stained? Or worse, was the steel pitted by the
acidic coffee? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

On Jun 19, 10:29 am, " > wrote:

> I tried washing it out using a narrow brush, but the marks remain. Is
> my thermos permanently stained? Or worse, was the steel pitted by the
> acidic coffee? Is that possible?

I ended up using a cleaning product called "Dip-It", and it worked
great. Removed all the stains, the interior of the thermos is shiny
and bright as new!

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

" > wrote:

>I ended up using a cleaning product called "Dip-It", and it worked
>great. Removed all the stains, the interior of the thermos is shiny
>and bright as new!

I put a couple of teaspoons of dishwasher detergent in mine, fill it
with hot water and stir or shake to dissolve the detergent, let it set
for several hours. Clean with a bottle brush, comes out nice and
shiny.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel T Blake General Cooking 36 30-05-2014 08:43 PM
Stainless steel Andy Petro Cooking Equipment 15 02-05-2008 03:42 PM
Stainless Steel DGD Barbecue 4 10-04-2007 02:30 AM
Thermos / Char-Broil Stainless at Target [email protected] Barbecue 0 14-03-2007 06:56 PM
Stainless steel Ruddell General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 12:39 AM