Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Chocolate coverture condensation (sweating)

Hi,

We are experimenting with various chocolate truffles formulas, while we
have perfected the ganache and the coverture process, we are
experiencing an issue with condensation in the coverture (regardless
the chocolate (brand and cacao %) used for the coverture).

During tempering we have tried various temperature techniques and
tempering methods (manual tempering and machine tempering (we use an
ACMC temperer)) but the condensation in the coverture persist.

In order to promote the coverture setting, we placed the truffles in
the refrigerator, we have to do this since the room temperature is warm
(85º F), however, even in the refrigerator the condensation in the
coverture occurs as well.

Do you know of any stabilizer or method which could be added to prevent
the condensation (sweat) in the coverture?

Thanks in advanced,
Ralph

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

at Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:43:52 GMT in <1142973832.021108.257430
@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, wrote :

>Hi,
>
>We are experimenting with various chocolate truffles formulas, while we
>have perfected the ganache and the coverture process, we are
>experiencing an issue with condensation in the coverture (regardless
>the chocolate (brand and cacao %) used for the coverture).
>
>During tempering we have tried various temperature techniques and
>tempering methods (manual tempering and machine tempering (we use an
>ACMC temperer)) but the condensation in the coverture persist.
>
>In order to promote the coverture setting, we placed the truffles in
>the refrigerator, we have to do this since the room temperature is warm
>(85º F)

This is the core of the problem. An 85 F room is in the first place far too
warm for chocolate, and in the second place holds a higher moisture content
at the same RH. Therefore cooler temperatures (which create a local zone of
lower moisture content for the same RH) will probably induce condensation
anyway. Putting things in the fridge only makes it worse, because now the
chocolates are very cool and that air temperature will hold only a small
amount of moisture before it starts to condense out.

Meanwhile, 85 F will soften most truffles unacceptably and can break the
ganache. In addition, that high of an ambient temperature will cause
difficulties during tempering. The ambient temperature will slow down
proper crystal formation and tend to break the temper even as it's being
formed. Consider that a chocolate bar will generally lose temper at 85F and
you will understand the problem.

I suspect, furthermore, that you have a high RH in the room. With a hot
*and* humid room it's virtually impossible to make good chocolate, because
that means the room is carrying an enormous amount of moisture which will
condense out at the first possible opportunity. Is there a specific source
of the heat? To invoke an extreme case, it would be an exercise in futility
to try to make chocolates in a room where you were boiling pasta.
Meanwhile, in a desert climate you might succeed but in a tropical, moist
climate you would have trouble if you had no air conditioning.

I think in the long run you will therefore save money by investing in an
air conditioner.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

>Do you know of any stabilizer or method which could be added to prevent
>the condensation (sweat) in the coverture?

The cause of your problem is indeed higher temperature and humidity
which is bad for chocolates.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Janet, Michael, Alex, Chembake, thank you for your earlier responses.

I concur with you all that the working environment is a bit warm.
Janet thanks for the suggestion on the window AC unit and the cooling
tunnel.

Locally we have stores which sell imported chocolates from Godiva,
RichArt and a number of other chocolate brands. What mystifies us is
that when expose to our warm/humid climate these commercial brands will
melt over time as expected, however, when exposed to the warm weather
for a reasonable period of time the coverture on these brands does not
sweat or show signs of condensation on the coverture A friend
mentioned that the commercial brands might use additives to control the
aforementioned condensation - thus why I posed the earlier question
regarding additives.

We hae an A/C area where we will try our exercise as suggested on the
earlier postings. I have also been suggested by a chef that we should
mix a little vegetable oil or corn syrup as a stabilizer to control the
sweating when exposed to warm temperatures for a short period of time
- any thoughts on this suggestion?