Ronni

Default Melting Chocolate for Candy

Hi everyone...Let me start with I do not know how to cook very well,
although I try! LOL

Anyway for the last year I have been making buttercream candies. I have come
to the conclusion that there has to be a different way to melt the chocolate
to coat the center. The chocolate is always so thick and hard to coat the
centers.

How do you all melt the chocolate when making candies? Do you add anything
to the chocolate? Thanks

Ronni

Ronni

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:45:20 GMT in
> >, (Ronni)
> wrote :
>

> >Hi everyone...Let me start with I do not know how to cook very well,
> >although I try! LOL
> >
> >Anyway for the last year I have been making buttercream candies. I have
> >come to the conclusion that there has to be a different way to melt the
> >chocolate to coat the center. The chocolate is always so thick and hard
> >to coat the centers.
> >

> It's not the melting that's the problem, it's the tempering. You can't
> simply melt chocolate and then coat candy with it. If you do it will not

be
> tempered and thus generally will be gummy and sticky, probably what you're
> referring to.
>
> To temper chocolate, you need a cool, nonporous surface, such as a marble
> board, and a flexible metal blade, such as a spatula or palette knife.

Then
> you melt the chocolate in a double-boiler, keeping it at low temperature.
> When it's completely melted, pour 1/2 to 2/3 of it out onto your surface,
> spade it around with your metal blade (i.e. alternately spread and scrape,
> with a folding motion) until it just begins to solidify. Then quickly
> scrape it back into the melted chocolate. Stir everything, and then you
> should have tempered chocolate. Work quickly to coat your candies, because
> it will lose temper fairly quickly if you're not careful, unless you're
> working with really large batches.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Great thanks...
I am willing to bet part of the problem would be the large batches, too.
Along with my unknowledgable way to temper the chocolate.

This helps alot Thanks --- Ronni--AKA A chocolateaholic!! LOL

The Joker

"Ronni" > schreef in bericht

> "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> > at Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:45:20 GMT in
> > >,

(Ronni)
> > wrote :
> >

> > >Hi everyone...Let me start with I do not know how to cook very well,
> > >although I try! LOL
> > >
> > >Anyway for the last year I have been making buttercream candies. I have
> > >come to the conclusion that there has to be a different way to melt the
> > >chocolate to coat the center. The chocolate is always so thick and hard
> > >to coat the centers.
> > >

> > It's not the melting that's the problem, it's the tempering. You can't
> > simply melt chocolate and then coat candy with it. If you do it will not

> be
> > tempered and thus generally will be gummy and sticky, probably what

you're
> > referring to.
> >
> > To temper chocolate, you need a cool, nonporous surface, such as a

marble
> > board, and a flexible metal blade, such as a spatula or palette knife.

> Then
> > you melt the chocolate in a double-boiler, keeping it at low

temperature.
> > When it's completely melted, pour 1/2 to 2/3 of it out onto your

surface,
> > spade it around with your metal blade (i.e. alternately spread and

scrape,
> > with a folding motion) until it just begins to solidify. Then quickly
> > scrape it back into the melted chocolate. Stir everything, and then you
> > should have tempered chocolate. Work quickly to coat your candies,

because
> > it will lose temper fairly quickly if you're not careful, unless you're
> > working with really large batches.
> >
> > --
> > Alex Rast
> >

> > (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

> Great thanks...
> I am willing to bet part of the problem would be the large batches, too.
> Along with my unknowledgable way to temper the chocolate.
>
> This helps alot Thanks --- Ronni--AKA A chocolateaholic!! LOL

There's an easier way to temper, but then you need a good thermometer, and
some patience too....
try this, and if you cant get it right, I'll give you the other method.

S.

Lars Marowsky-Bree

On 04-01-04 21:58:50, The Joker wrote:

> There's an easier way to temper, but then you need a good thermometer, and
> some patience too....

Do tell.

--
http://lars.marowsky-bree.de/disclaimer.html