Dee Randall

Default Foodsaver for saving chocolate?

I just bought a Foodsaver, and I'm wondering if there are any advantages or
disadvantages to wrapping in their bags. I buy various kinds of chocolate
from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and usually take off the cellophane that
the chucks are wrapped in and put them in a mason jar. Since I have not had
a Foodsaver I have not, of course, pumped out the air. But I'm wondering IF
the chocolate would be better kept using Foodsaver, if it would benefit from
being put in a bag or in a mason jar with the pumped out. Just using
chocolate in home cooking.
Thanks so much.
Dee

Chembake

As long as the container for storing is free from any odor and the
chocs are kept cool they will be okay.

Alex Rast

at Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:33:48 GMT in >,
(Dee Randall) wrote :

>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .
>> at Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:21:52 GMT in
>> >,
(Dee
>> Randall) wrote :
>>
>>>I just bought a Foodsaver, and I'm wondering if there are any
>>>advantages or disadvantages to wrapping in their bags.

>> The material of choice of high-end manufacturers is foil, which forms
>> a good s
>>

>> --
>> Alex Rast

>Thanks for your answer, Alex.
>My appreciation,

Sorry, my answer got cut off due to an annoying property of my newsreader.
It would appear that pressing CTRL+S (accidentally) will cause the message
to be sent *immediately* without a confirmation dialogue or any opportunity
to abort. (Note to S/W designers: It should *NEVER* be possible to commit
to an immediate, irrevocable, important action in a program through a
keystroke combo)

Anyway, the rest of the message would have been:

"...which forms a good seal and doesn't out-gas. In fact, the very best
manufacturers often use foiled paper, because the paper makes for a useful
thermal and shock barrier. At home, you can achieve the same result with
good, heavy aluminium foil (shiny side out) as an external layer and either
parchment (good) or *unscented* toilet paper (best) as an internal layer.
This is virtually bomb-proof, although you also do need to be sure to store
it in a good, temperature-and-humidity controlled environment for best
results. In other words, the packaging can't save it if it was in a 90F,
steam-filled room for hours.

--
Alex Rast

Dee Randall

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:33:48 GMT in >,
> (Dee Randall) wrote :
>

>>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> at Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:21:52 GMT in
(Dee

>>> The material of choice of high-end manufacturers is foil, which forms
>>> a good s
>>>

>>> --
>>> Alex Rast

>>Thanks for your answer, Alex.
>>My appreciation,

> Sorry, my answer got cut off due to an annoying property of my newsreader.
> It would appear that pressing CTRL+S (accidentally) will cause the message
> to be sent *immediately* without a confirmation dialogue or any
> opportunity
> to abort. (Note to S/W designers: It should *NEVER* be possible to commit
> to an immediate, irrevocable, important action in a program through a
> keystroke combo)
>
> Anyway, the rest of the message would have been:
>
> "...which forms a good seal and doesn't out-gas. In fact, the very best
> manufacturers often use foiled paper, because the paper makes for a useful
> thermal and shock barrier. At home, you can achieve the same result with
> good, heavy aluminium foil (shiny side out) as an external layer and
> either
> parchment (good) or *unscented* toilet paper (best) as an internal layer.
> This is virtually bomb-proof, although you also do need to be sure to
> store
> it in a good, temperature-and-humidity controlled environment for best
> results. In other words, the packaging can't save it if it was in a 90F,
> steam-filled room for hours.
>
> --
> Alex Rast

Thanks for reading and re-sending your answer. I quite appreciate it.
As to the Ctrl+S -- Really ticks me off! I've done it, too.
There's also a situation like this on Ctrl F while in OE. If you try to
find by clicking Ctr+F, you will get a situation to write or reply to an
email (can't remember which, now) BUT if you click Ctrl+Shift+F, THEN you
can find. Aarrrgh!
Thanks again for your thorough answer.
Dee

Mark Thorson

Alex Rast wrote:

> thermal and shock barrier. At home, you can achieve the same result with
> good, heavy aluminium foil (shiny side out) as an external layer and either

Why shiny side out? Roll lubricants?