nimbex

Default ISO Van Houton chocolate BARS?

I have seen Van Houton brand hot chocolate around, but I am looking for
a chocolate bar of this brand. I had it in Singapore about 5 years ago
or so, and have searched the internet with no luck. I would say this
bar is on par with Cadbury's Dairy Milk, and was displayed alongside
these bars in a blue wrapper. Any help appreciated,

Jennifer

Janet Puistonen

nimbex wrote:
> I have seen Van Houton brand hot chocolate around, but I am looking
> for a chocolate bar of this brand. I had it in Singapore about 5
> years ago or so, and have searched the internet with no luck. I
> would say this bar is on par with Cadbury's Dairy Milk, and was
> displayed alongside these bars in a blue wrapper. Any help
> appreciated,
>
> Jennifer

It's Van Houten, not Houton, IIRC, which might help an internet search. I
used to eat their milk chocolate in the Netherlands. (I think it's MUCH
better than Cadbury's Dairy Milk, myself) I used to see it in the North East
USA, but don't recall doing so in recent years. Good luck in your search.

nimbex

Thank you, this was an aha! moment.
For anyone who is interested, I found that the Barry Callebaut group
owns Van Houten. From the site vanhoutenvending.com I only found hot
cocoa mixes. The only other thing I found was a wholesale distributor
site that sells chucks and such of the Van Houten brand. I have the
feeling that the bars are no longer made. : (

I agree about it being better than the cadbury too.

Thank you for your help,
Jennifer

Rona Y.

nimbex wrote:
> Thank you, this was an aha! moment.
> For anyone who is interested, I found that the Barry Callebaut group
> owns Van Houten. From the site vanhoutenvending.com I only found hot
> cocoa mixes. The only other thing I found was a wholesale distributor
> site that sells chucks and such of the Van Houten brand. I have the
> feeling that the bars are no longer made. : (
>
> I agree about it being better than the cadbury too.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Jennifer

I'm quite sure they're still available--I just had one a few months ago when
I was in Singapore. I would guess they have a limited distribution--not
available in the US, most likely. If you take a look at
http://www.networkfoods.com/products.htm, you can see a picture of a Van
Houten Roast Almond bar somewhere in there. They have an e-mail link if you
want to ask them if where the bars are available. But from their site, it's
only available in the Middle East, Asia, and Australia/New Zealand.

There's also http://www.haranosur.com/subCatProdS...sp?subCatId=98 for
on-line ordering--but only within India, from what I can tell--oops.

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Rona Y.

nimbex wrote:
> Thank you, this was an aha! moment.
> For anyone who is interested, I found that the Barry Callebaut group
> owns Van Houten. From the site vanhoutenvending.com I only found hot
> cocoa mixes. The only other thing I found was a wholesale
> distributor site that sells chucks and such of the Van Houten brand.
> I have the feeling that the bars are no longer made. : (
>
> I agree about it being better than the cadbury too.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Jennifer

I'm quite sure they're still available--I just had one a few months
ago when I was in Singapore. I would guess they have a limited
distribution--not available in the US, most likely. If you take a
look at http://www.networkfoods.com/products.htm, you can see a
picture of a Van Houten Roast Almond bar somewhere in there. They
have an e-mail link if you want to ask them if where the bars are
available. But from their site, it's only available in the Middle
East, Asia, and Australia/New Zealand.
There's also
http://www.haranosur.com/subCatProdS...sp?subCatId=98 for on-line
ordering--but only within India, from what I can tell--oops.

rona

Newsweek, November 22, 2004

nimbex

Thanks for finding this, I am glad they still exist! I suppose I will
try to find out if they manufacture them somewhere in Europe. I guess
finding a chocolate bar would be as good as a reason as any to go back
to Singapore (in my dreams). Thanks so much for your help.

Jennifer

widely available here in the Philippines. Low quality stuff. maybe they
have different formulations for different markets. It's common here for
chocolate to be adulterated with palm oil.....

widely available here in the Philippines. Low quality stuff. maybe they
have different formulations for different markets. It's common here for
chocolate to be adulterated with palm oil.....

Taste of two chocolate bars. Theodore Chocolate 2 14-10-2008 10:54 PM
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 12-02-2007 12:24 PM
Homemade Chocolate Bars Piedmont General Cooking 1 16-09-2006 08:46 PM
Chocolate Caramel Bars Tim Recipes 0 18-07-2005 09:58 PM
Chocolate pecan bars Michael General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 03:35 AM