Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Taste of two chocolate bars.

I eat every evening, 40g of chocolate bars, with 70,till 85% of cocoa
in them.
I try to taste as many chocolate brands, as I can.
Now, I have some Lindt85% and some Spanish chocolates, of brand
Frescü.
I tried to taste them and see the differences, but in the room
temperature, which is not high these days,I could not "see", big
differences, between them.Not at all bad.
Yesterday, because of a therapy I had in my teeth, I should not bite
a chocolate, because of hardness.
So, I put the two portions from the two, in the Microwave oven, to
warm them.
After this, I tasted them and I "saw", that there was a big
difference between them, ie while the Lindt, was not at all
tasty,giving me a taste of rubber, the Frescü bar, was very tasty
again.
I ask, why is this difference,between the two, in higher temperature,
while they are equal in a lower one.
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Theodore wrote:
> I eat every evening, 40g of chocolate bars, with 70,till 85% of cocoa
> in them.
> I try to taste as many chocolate brands, as I can.
> Now, I have some Lindt85% and some Spanish chocolates, of brand
> Frescü.
> I tried to taste them and see the differences, but in the room
> temperature, which is not high these days,I could not "see", big
> differences, between them.Not at all bad.
> Yesterday, because of a therapy I had in my teeth, I should not bite
> a chocolate, because of hardness.
> So, I put the two portions from the two, in the Microwave oven, to
> warm them.
> After this, I tasted them and I "saw", that there was a big
> difference between them, ie while the Lindt, was not at all
> tasty,giving me a taste of rubber, the Frescü bar, was very tasty
> again.
> I ask, why is this difference,between the two, in higher temperature,
> while they are equal in a lower one.

Because more of the chocolate was melted in your mouth perhaps
and so more taste buds were exposed to the chocolate.
The Lindt may not have been designed to be exposed to higher
temperatures. The Spanish brand was probably expected to be
exposed to higher temperature and blended to avoid the bad
taste you found. You do know that where and how chocolate
or rather the cocao beans are grown has an effect on taste
along with the extensive but simple processing the beans must
go through to become a product?

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
--from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Theodore wrote:

> I ask, why is this difference,between the two, in higher temperature,
> while they are equal in a lower one.

Most of flavor sensation is smell. The tongue can only
sense bitter, sweet, sour, and salty. When you heat
chocolate, you are liberating aroma molecules which
contribute greatly to flavor sensation. Apparently,
one of your chocolates had more to liberate than the
other. Or it could have released its molecules in the
time frame in which you performed the experiment. The
other one may have released its molecules too soon or
too late.