Cox news

Default Where to buy cocoa butter?

None of the local stores seem to carry cocoa butter, and I wanted to buy
some to make my own chocolate. Is there a good online source?

Thanks

Billy

Alex Rast

at Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:10:25 GMT in >,
(Cox news) wrote :

>None of the local stores seem to carry cocoa butter, and I wanted to buy
>some to make my own chocolate. Is there a good online source?

Chocosphere (
http://www.chocosphere.com) carries it, but how much do you
know about making chocolate and how prepared are you for the enormous
amount of time and labour it entails? I have made exhaustive posts on this
in the past and if you look through them you'll see that making your own
chocolate at home will turn out to be a lengthy, tricky, equipment-
intensive process requiring both ingenuity and skill and generally leading
to poor results initially, which you can refine into good results only
after multiple attempts. It's definitely an *advanced* process, and if you
are attempting this in order either to improve on the chocolates you've
tried to date or to introduce some unique feature you haven't found in
chocolates you know about, know now that your experiments will probably
meet with little initial success. You'll quickly discover that it is best
to buy a chocolate from another manufacturer, and be aware that most
special dietary needs (diabetic, allergic to nuts, soy products, dairy) can
be met with chocolates being produced today. This is more of a project for
those genuinely interested in learning about the process than those looking
for immediate results.

--
Alex Rast

Janet Puistonen

Cox news wrote:
> None of the local stores seem to carry cocoa butter, and I wanted to
> buy some to make my own chocolate. Is there a good online source?
>
> Thanks
>
> Billy

I've purchased it from a variety of sources. If you want to buy 1 lb, you
will pay a fortune. If you are willing to buy a larger quantity, you can pay
much less per pound.

I recently found an excellent source for moderate quantities. I don't have
the url at hand, but IIRC the company is called "Oils by Nature" --
Janet

Dear Artemesia! Poetry's a Sna/Bedlam has many Mansions:have a
ca/ Your Muse diverts you, makes the Reader sad:/ You think your
self inspir'd; He thinks you mad.

---

pete

hi Billy,

here's the cheapest i've found:
http://4naturesfinest.com/osc/produc...45e416ec3ec7d6

it's food grade, as far as i know.

are you making chocolate by adding cocoa butter to cocoa powder? or are you
making chocolate by grinding cocoa beans, and adding the cocoa butter to
adjust the fluidity?

pete

"Cox news" > wrote in message
> None of the local stores seem to carry cocoa butter, and I wanted to buy
> some to make my own chocolate. Is there a good online source?
>
> Thanks
>
> Billy

Billy

I know what I make won't be as good as what I can buy, but I haven't found a
pre-maid chocolate that meets my needs.

I am allergic to milk protein and am on a low carb chocolate. I am looking
for a dairy free, low-carb chocolate, that doesn't have sugar alcohols.

What I am currently making is a modified low-carb chocolate recipe.

2 oz bakers chocolate
4 tbs coconut oil (solid at room temperature)
2/3 cup splenda
2 tsp vanila
2 tbs soy creamer
2oz nuts

I think that is it. It isn't the best chocolate, but it isn't bad. I was
hoping the cocoa butter would be a little firmer at room temperature. Plus,
the coconut flavor is a little strong for my taste.

Billy
(sorry about the Cox News name, I quickly setup outlook express for a new
news account and thought I typed Cox News in the name field rather than
account name.)