Posted to rec.food.chocolate

Default Chocolate and Insect Fragments

The FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) considers chocolate
acceptable for public consumption as long as there are less than 60
microscopic insect fragments per 100 grams (four ounces, or
approximately one candy bar). - from www.odd-info.com

Posted to rec.food.chocolate

In article . com>,
says...
> The FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) considers chocolate
> acceptable for public consumption as long as there are less than 60
> microscopic insect fragments per 100 grams (four ounces, or
> approximately one candy bar). - from
www.odd-info.com

Thank you for the informative posting!

I share your happiness and pride that our government, so demonstrably
inept in so many other areas, is doing an effective job in monitoring
this important area.

Despite your love of all things chocolate, you just *know*, deep in your
heart, that the various manufacturers would be chitin on this standard
without such strict government scrutiny.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.chocolate

On 13 Jan 2007 14:17:00 -0800, "javawizard" >
wrote:

>The FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) considers chocolate
>acceptable for public consumption as long as there are less than 60
>microscopic insect fragments per 100 grams (four ounces, or
>approximately one candy bar). - from www.odd-info.com

four ounces is a lot more than one Candy bar -- IF you think that your
standard package of supermatket Chocolate chips come in 12 ounce bags,
4 ounces would be 1/3 of that.

MOst bars I see hover around 1.5 to 2 ounces.

Therefore, 60 little itty-bitty insect fragments over two candy bars
is hardly a problem .... Hell, the glossy coating over the Junior
Mints is made from beetles, and I ate those by the truck load as a
kid.

I lived -- ruined my teeth, but I can't blame that in the bugs.

[OT] Insect bite tip notbob General Cooking 51 21-07-2012 03:21 AM
Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Featuring King's Cupboard Dark Chocolate Chunk Hot Chocolate Cocoa Connoisseur ... Chocolate 0 19-10-2006 05:16 PM
Need help/info on making custom chocolate mold (for chocolate lolipop-ish things Martin O'Brien Chocolate 3 29-10-2004 02:53 PM
Insect recipes Ka Khiong Kwok Recipes 2 01-07-2004 11:43 AM
Vineyard insect Ken Anderson Winemaking 3 23-05-2004 02:01 AM