(East Bay) Phil

Default Belgian Beer Guides - which one?

Hello,

I'm considering investing in a book to lead me through the wonderful
world of Belgian beer. I know that the (semi)local pub of choice,
Toronado, has a guide, but I've yet to take a gander, and I don't know
its title. I've read positive reviews of Tim Webb's guides, but the
descriptions lead me to believe that they are more about beer tourism
than descriptions of each brewery's many products.

If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. If you add to my above
assessments, it would also be helpful. Thanks.

Cheers,
Phil

dgs

(East Bay) Phil wrote:

> I'm considering investing in a book to lead me through the wonderful
> world of Belgian beer. [...] I've read positive reviews of Tim Webb's guides, but the
> descriptions lead me to believe that they are more about beer tourism
> than descriptions of each brewery's many products.

Tim Webb's "GBG to Belgium" is about both beer tourism *and* Belgium's
breweries. A big part of the book is given to listing all Belgian
breweries and their products. It's an excellent and worthwhile
resource.

So is "Lambicland," by Tim Webb, Joris Pattyn, and and Chris ("Podge")
Pollard. This is a more focused book, concentrating on the last
remaining lambic brewers and blenders of the Payottenland.

Michael Jackson's "The Great Beers of Belgium" is also worthwhile.
--
dgs
Pierre Jelenc

(East Bay) Phil > writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm considering investing in a book to lead me through the wonderful
> world of Belgian beer. I know that the (semi)local pub of choice,
> Toronado, has a guide, but I've yet to take a gander, and I don't know
> its title. I've read positive reviews of Tim Webb's guides, but the
> descriptions lead me to believe that they are more about beer tourism
> than descriptions of each brewery's many products.

Start with Tim Webb's one; a new edition just came out, and it will be the
less obsolete of the lot. Then, once you've absorbed it, you can go on to
rest.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

(Note that this new, 2005, edition, does not cover the Netherlands but
has a much expanded coverage of Belgium in exchange.)

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
| www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog
(East Bay) Phil

> Start with Tim Webb's one; a new edition just came out, and it will be
> the less obsolete of the lot. Then, once you've absorbed it, you can
> go on to rest.

So, it does contain in-depth descriptions of each brew? I was concerned
it would be more of a tour-guide to breweries and their brews'
characteristics in general.

Pierre Jelenc

(East Bay) Phil > writes:

> So, it does contain in-depth descriptions of each brew? I was concerned
> it would be more of a tour-guide to breweries and their brews'
> characteristics in general.

Not in depth (I think; at least it didn't in the prior editions and I
don't have the new one yet) but it does give a capsule review of a vast
number of beers plus a general description of each brewery, as well as
essays on the various styles, plus tour guide stuff. It's a good
introduction, then once you are familiar with it you can shop for
specialized books knowing what you are looking for.

Tim Webb is also pretty much the only major beer writer who does not mince
his words and who berates publicly the breweries he feels are letting the
side down (hello Chimay, hello Riva...)

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
| www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

The Submarine Captain

Pierre Jelenc a écrit :

>Tim Webb is also pretty much the only major beer writer who does not mince
>his words and who berates publicly the breweries he feels are letting the
>side down (hello Chimay, hello Riva...)

Indeed : fiercely independent, unafraid to air solid opinionated views,
yet in a pretty funny way, with a flair for deadly one-liners that'll
have you chuckle as you read.

If you start virtually from scratch, the - admittedly long -
introductory chapters in this guide will teach you all you really need
to know about the reality of the belgian beer market : the amazing
sides, those wonderful beers you just have to taste once (or more !) in
your life, but also the shadier side, the trappings like so-called label
beers, dumbing down of classics, over-use of spices etc.

Beside, it is fact-packed, really meant for use in the field from the
start, and designed for quick, easy reference (a good few maps, and
multiple indexes, for example)

This in my opinion is not only the yardstick against which to measure
all other beer guidebooks, belgian and else, but also a sheer
masterclass in travel guide writing, structure and design in general !

Cheers !

Laurent

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

Certes certes, voilà bien un truc de chien de berger, que de tenter de suggèrer à ses brebis une divinité tutélaire ! et surtout c'est aussi vil et bien maladroit que de penser les duper en créant cette divinité à notre image, car pour nous, les brebis, si esprit supérieur il y a, il ne pourrait revêtir une autre forme que celui d'une BALEINE !!!
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland