sceadu

Default Unhopped Ale

Are there any commercial breweries that still make unhopped ale (or
lager)? Ideally I'm looking for an unhopped stout that can be ordered
online, but any information about unhopped brews of any type, whether
available online or not, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.
P.S. This email address no longer works, so please post replies to the
newsgroup.
Rosalba e Massimo

Addi' 19 Sep 2004 17:48:46 -0700, sceadu scrisse:

>Are there any commercial breweries that still make unhopped ale (or
>lager)? Ideally I'm looking for an unhopped stout that can be ordered
>online, but any information about unhopped brews of any type, whether
>available online or not, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
>advance.

apart from Fraoch, there is also Nora, brewed by Baladin, an Italian
microbrewery. Nora is available in USA (though quite expensive).
It is *almost* unhopped... that is: the first version actually had no
hops in it; then later a tiny quantity of hops has been included in the
recipe, I believe just for a "legal" purpose (I think it has to have
some hops to be sold as beer in Italy) and maybe for the preservative
virtues of hops. These few hops are 3 or 4 years old and have lost most
of their bitterness and aroma.
The balancing bitterness and aroma comes from spices (including ginger)
and even resins (myrrh). The grain bill include Kamut. The beer is a
sort of reconstruction of old egyptian beers.
A very peculiar beer... and even enjoyable though unusual.

I don't know oh unhopped stout, they would be untraditional anyway.
Porter beers (of which Stout was just a stronger version) came in UK
around 1720, when hops were already used in all beers and ales.

ciao
max

--
Please reply he rosamax (at ISP fastwebnet.it
"A Quart of Ale is a Dish for a King" - Shakespeare (A Winter's Tale)
Rosalba e Massimo

Addi' 19 Sep 2004 17:48:46 -0700, sceadu scrisse:

>Are there any commercial breweries that still make unhopped ale (or
>lager)? Ideally I'm looking for an unhopped stout that can be ordered
>online, but any information about unhopped brews of any type, whether
>available online or not, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
>advance.

apart from Fraoch, there is also Nora, brewed by Baladin, an Italian
microbrewery. Nora is available in USA (though quite expensive).
It is *almost* unhopped... that is: the first version actually had no
hops in it; then later a tiny quantity of hops has been included in the
recipe, I believe just for a "legal" purpose (I think it has to have
some hops to be sold as beer in Italy) and maybe for the preservative
virtues of hops. These few hops are 3 or 4 years old and have lost most
of their bitterness and aroma.
The balancing bitterness and aroma comes from spices (including ginger)
and even resins (myrrh). The grain bill include Kamut. The beer is a
sort of reconstruction of old egyptian beers.
A very peculiar beer... and even enjoyable though unusual.

I don't know oh unhopped stout, they would be untraditional anyway.
Porter beers (of which Stout was just a stronger version) came in UK
around 1720, when hops were already used in all beers and ales.

ciao
max

--
Please reply he rosamax (at ISP fastwebnet.it
"A Quart of Ale is a Dish for a King" - Shakespeare (A Winter's Tale)
www.maxbeer.org |Homebrewing/Italian Microbreweries/BeerDatabase/Labels

Peter Woodhouse

In article >,
Rosalba e Massimo > wrote:
>Addi' 19 Sep 2004 17:48:46 -0700, sceadu scrisse:
>
>>Are there any commercial breweries that still make unhopped ale (or
>>lager)? Ideally I'm looking for an unhopped stout that can be ordered
>>online, but any information about unhopped brews of any type, whether
>>available online or not, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
>>advance.

>apart from Fraoch, there is also Nora, brewed by Baladin, an Italian
>microbrewery. Nora is available in USA (though quite expensive).

Check out http://www.fraoch.com/ales.html

Fraoch make a number of ales flavoured with heather and other ingredients.

Pete
Peter Woodhouse