Dav Vandenbroucke

Default Mackey's Pub, Washington DC

Last week my wife and I went to Mackey's Pub, 1823 L St Northwest, Washington
DC, for dinner. The pub is a couple blocks north of the Farragut West Metro
station, just across the street from Border's bookstore. It being a warm day,
the outside tables were packed, although the only vista is the gridlock on L
Street.. We sat inside, in a booth near the bar area. The inside is all dark
wood. I understand that the fittings were all imported from Dublin.

We found the range of beers disappointing for a pub. We happened to arrive
during happy hour, but the cut price beers were almost all mass-produced
American beers, such as Budweiser, etc. The best was Sam Adams. The rest of
the draft lineup included Guinness, Sierra Nevada, Harp, Bodington's, a house
ale, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment. Curiously, the house ale
was listed as coming from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

The food is, of course, pub food. There is an extensive array of sandwiches,
plus fish & chips, shepherd's pie, steak and Guinness pie, chicken tenderloin,
battered shrimp, meatloaf, and so on. I had the steak pie, and my wife had the
fish & chips. She really like the way the fish were cooked. The chips
(shoestring) suffered from being served under the fish, which made them a bit
soggy. The steak pie was good. It was mostly meat, and the crust was worth
finishing on its own. It came with a scoop of mashed potatoes and some kind of
steamed vegetables, which I didn't touch (not a vegetable sort of guy).

The atmosphere was loud and crowded. There was some kind of rock music playing.
Lots of people still in shirts and ties, evidently just coming off work. The
service was friendly and well paced. I neither felt that the waiter was
hovering over me nor that he had retired to a place in the country.

I didn't have a bad time, but I've had better dining experiences. If you're
more into the bar experience than I am, you'll probably enjoy Mackey's in the
evening. I have had lunch there a couple of times previously. On those
occasions I was seated deeper into the pub, away from the bar, and the
atmosphere was generally quieter. On the whole, I'd say I've enjoyed the
lunches better than I did this dinner.

Dav Vandenbroucke

Al in MD

Please post this at Pubcrawler.com, if you haven't already. Thanks.

"Dav Vandenbroucke" > wrote in
message news
> Last week my wife and I went to Mackey's Pub, 1823 L St Northwest,
Washington
> DC, for dinner. The pub is a couple blocks north of the Farragut West

Metro
> station, just across the street from Border's bookstore. It being a warm

day,
> the outside tables were packed, although the only vista is the gridlock on

> Street.. We sat inside, in a booth near the bar area. The inside is all

dark
> wood. I understand that the fittings were all imported from Dublin.
>
> We found the range of beers disappointing for a pub. We happened to

arrive
> during happy hour, but the cut price beers were almost all mass-produced
> American beers, such as Budweiser, etc. The best was Sam Adams. The rest

of
> the draft lineup included Guinness, Sierra Nevada, Harp, Bodington's, a

house
> ale, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment. Curiously, the

house ale
> was listed as coming from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.
>
> The food is, of course, pub food. There is an extensive array of

sandwiches,
> plus fish & chips, shepherd's pie, steak and Guinness pie, chicken

tenderloin,
> battered shrimp, meatloaf, and so on. I had the steak pie, and my wife

had the
> fish & chips. She really like the way the fish were cooked. The chips
> (shoestring) suffered from being served under the fish, which made them a

bit
> soggy. The steak pie was good. It was mostly meat, and the crust was

worth
> finishing on its own. It came with a scoop of mashed potatoes and some

kind of
> steamed vegetables, which I didn't touch (not a vegetable sort of guy).
>
> The atmosphere was loud and crowded. There was some kind of rock music

playing.
> Lots of people still in shirts and ties, evidently just coming off work.

The
> service was friendly and well paced. I neither felt that the waiter was
> hovering over me nor that he had retired to a place in the country.
>
> I didn't have a bad time, but I've had better dining experiences. If

you're
> more into the bar experience than I am, you'll probably enjoy Mackey's in

the
> evening. I have had lunch there a couple of times previously. On those
> occasions I was seated deeper into the pub, away from the bar, and the
> atmosphere was generally quieter. On the whole, I'd say I've enjoyed the
> lunches better than I did this dinner.
>
> Dav Vandenbroucke

Dav Vandenbroucke

On Sun, 16 May 2004 10:44:26 -0400, "Al in MD" > wrote:

>Please post this at Pubcrawler.com, if you haven't already. Thanks.

I did, actually.

Dav Vandenbroucke

Al in MD

Thanks again.

"Dav Vandenbroucke" > wrote in
message ...

wrote:

> >Please post this at Pubcrawler.com, if you haven't already. Thanks.

> I did, actually.
>
> Dav Vandenbroucke

Joel

Dav Vandenbroucke > wrote:
>Curiously, the house ale was listed as coming from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Leinenkugel ale?!
--
Joel Plutchak "Senza la birra tutto diventa orfano."
plutchak@[...] - Italian proverb (slightly revised)

Washington DC/Alexandria VA Goomba38 General Cooking 13 13-06-2007 10:35 PM
[FAQ] 3g. Washington? Mark Lipton Wine 7 14-11-2006 05:53 AM
Washington Pudding Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 13-06-2006 05:26 AM
Washington Post May 3 James Silverton Sushi 1 03-05-2006 03:45 PM
Washington DC on Christmas Day Oh, Guess Restaurants 4 22-12-2004 02:51 PM