bruce phipps

Default de Koninck in Antwerp: a new fan

Just got back from a couple of days in Antwerp. It was a "pub crawl"
so I stuck mostly to what was available on tap -- Stella Artois, de
Koninck and the odd Leffe Blonde. (Hoeegarden was also on tap
virtually everywhere, but I am not a big witbier fan).

Quality and presentation of the ales was first rate virtually
everywhere -- even in "disco pubs" in the tourist areas.
I am now a *massive* fan of de Koninck. I have had it in Amsterdam
previously, where it tasted crap. But the real thing is sublime and
goes down smoothly even on a pub crawl.

Any supermarkets in the UK that stock de K in bottles?

Give me a "de bollecke" anyday!
PS: Antewrp is also a really nice place...with lots of bars!
Bruce
Joris Pattyn

> Quality and presentation of the ales was first rate virtually
> everywhere -- even in "disco pubs" in the tourist areas.
> I am now a *massive* fan of de Koninck.

Welcome to the club.

>I have had it in Amsterdam
> previously, where it tasted crap. But the real thing is sublime and
> goes down smoothly even on a pub crawl.

That's one of its main purposes. You call it "elfkroegentocht" in the local
vernacular - "eleven pubs' crawl". The Amsterdam is probably not fresh
enough - and it's extremely sensitve to badly cared-for pipes.

> Any supermarkets in the UK that stock de K in bottles?

I can tell you more. De Koninck has just developed a cask-conditioned
version. But I would lay off the bottles, if I were you.

> Give me a "de bollecke" anyday!

Eeuh... that's "een bolleke", or "het bolleke".

> PS: Antewrp is also a really nice place...with lots of bars!

Yes - that's what caused my downfall to the pits of beerhell, and it's
Antwerpen.
Schol, Joris

Paul Shirley

In message >, Joris
Pattyn > writes
>> Any supermarkets in the UK that stock de K in bottles?

>I can tell you more. De Koninck has just developed a cask-conditioned
>version. But I would lay off the bottles, if I were you.

Not at all nice in bottles. Its fairly common draught in bars here but
usually pretty poor, worth trying (you might get lucky) but don't expect
much. There aren't that many places selling a good one even in Belgium
outside of Antwerp.

--
Paul Shirley: email unwelcome, reply by news
Mike Jones

Joris Pattyn wrote:
>> Quality and presentation of the ales was first rate virtually
>> everywhere -- even in "disco pubs" in the tourist areas.
>> I am now a *massive* fan of de Koninck.

> Welcome to the club.
>
>> I have had it in Amsterdam

I'm surprised no-one in the UK hasn't chipped in yet; it's available in
(certain) Wetherspoon outlets ATM:
King's Head Monmouth and JWL, Newport at least.

George Leach

"Mike Jones" > wrote in message
> Joris Pattyn wrote:
> >> Quality and presentation of the ales was first rate virtually
> >> everywhere -- even in "disco pubs" in the tourist areas.
> >> I am now a *massive* fan of de Koninck.

> > Welcome to the club.
> >
> >> I have had it in Amsterdam

> I'm surprised no-one in the UK hasn't chipped in yet; it's available in
> (certain) Wetherspoon outlets ATM:
> King's Head Monmouth and JWL, Newport at least.

I'm attend the Ship and Mitre in Liverpool where they have De Koninck's
Winter Beer on tap. Thats beautiful. As are many of the rest of the beers in
that pub.

Christine

In article >,
Joris Pattyn > wrote:
> > PS: Antewrp is also a really nice place...with lots of bars!

> Yes - that's what caused my downfall to the pits of beerhell, and it's
> Antwerpen.
> Schol, Joris

Now now Joris - I can't imagine you even being in the same country as the
"pits of beer hell"!!!!

Cheers

--
Christine Ramsbottom
Joris Pattyn

"Christine" > > > > PS: Antewrp is also a
really nice place...with lots of bars!
> schreef in bericht ...
> In article >,
> Joris Pattyn > wrote:

> > Yes - that's what caused my downfall to the pits of beerhell, and it's
> > Antwerpen.
> > Schol, Joris

> Now now Joris - I can't imagine you even being in the same country as the
> "pits of beer hell"!!!!
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christine Ramsbottom

Well... I never thought Hell could be that much fun.
Thanks for concern ;^}
Cheers, Joris