Jesse

Default Speaking of Porters

Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?
Thanks,
Jesse
PS I live in Jersey. And there's still no Big Foot! Must be coming by wagon
train.

Joel Plutchak

Default Speaking of Porters [and Bigfoot)

Jesse > wrote:
>Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
>Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

I don't know if Bell's beers (Kalamazoo Brewing Co.) make
it there, but I like their porter. It's a little lighter in
body and dark flavors than the Sierra Nevada, and has a pleasant
toastiness to it.

>PS I live in Jersey. And there's still no Big Foot! Must be coming by wagon
>train.

Showed up here in the last week, and we're a secondary market.
It's a good batch, drinkable from the get-go (last year it seemed
a bit thinner with more alcohol presence, which I think took a
few months to smooth out).
--
Joel Plutchak "Senza la birra tutto diventa orfano."
plutchak@[...] - Italian proverb (slightly revised)
Dan Iwerks

"Jesse" > wrote in
t:

> Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
> Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter. A little different than
you're used to (it's a Baltic porter instead of a standard porter), but
dang tasty. I'm assuming you can also get Anchor Porter and Fuller's
London Porter, or maybe Smuttynose?
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
> Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

Wild Goose Porter (if they're still alive), Md.
Samuel Smith Taddy Porter, England

Dan Iwerks

"Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in
:

>> Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
>> Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

> Wild Goose Porter (if they're still alive), Md.

Per my local beer store this weekend, they're dead and gone. A less than
ideal source of official knowledge, but don't see any reason to doubt it.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.

John P Reber

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
>>Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
>>Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

> Wild Goose Porter (if they're still alive), Md.
> Samuel Smith Taddy Porter, England

The above 2 were my favorites. Haven't been able to find the Wild Goose,
can't afford the Samuel Smith as a regular beer. I did just pick up the
ingredients to brew a Samuel Smith clone. Hope to be kegging that in the
next couple of weeks.

A porter I've neen enjoying is the Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter.

Jesse wrote:
> Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
> Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

I liked the Presidential Porter (or whatever they're calling it- Geo.
Washington on label) from Yards, but it's way too expensive
($13/sixpack) for a 'regularly purchase' beer.

> PS I live in Jersey. And there's still no Big Foot!

The Isle of Jersey or New Jersey? I'm in New Jersey and bought mine
about 2 weeks ago. (There's even a couple of six packs left in my
case.) I'm in the Central part of the state, bought the case from
Marketplace Liquors on Rt. 18 (behind the K-Mart, next to A&P) in East
Brunswick. They had 16 cases IIRC.

The store has new owners and they are very interested in having the best
selection of beer in the area- which they do, unless you consider
Bridgewater in the same area, then they've got a ways to go. (Nope,
don't work there, but I do shop there...)

Lew Bryson

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> "Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in
> >
> >> Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
> >> Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

> > Wild Goose Porter (if they're still alive), Md.

> Per my local beer store this weekend, they're dead and gone. A less than
> ideal source of official knowledge, but don't see any reason to doubt it.

Don't bet the farm on it. Negotiations are still underway and quite healthy.
Look for an announcement around the end of the month.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Steve Jackson

"Joel Plutchak" > wrote in message

> Showed up here in the last week, and we're a secondary market.

Southern California must be tertiary, then. Still no sight of it at a couple
stores that should have it last weekend.

-Steve

Dan Iwerks

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in
m:

> "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
>> "Alexander D. Mitchell IV" > wrote in

>> > Wild Goose Porter (if they're still alive), Md.

>> Per my local beer store this weekend, they're dead and gone. A less
>> than ideal source of official knowledge, but don't see any reason to
>> doubt it.

> Don't bet the farm on it. Negotiations are still underway and quite
> healthy. Look for an announcement around the end of the month.

Good deal. While I'm not a huge fan of most of the beers they make, this
year's Snow Goose was really, really beautiful stuff, and I traditionally
look forward to it every year. Would be a shame to see that one vanish.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.

Lew Bryson

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> Good deal. While I'm not a huge fan of most of the beers they make, this
> year's Snow Goose was really, really beautiful stuff, and I traditionally
> look forward to it every year. Would be a shame to see that one vanish.

Ever had the stuff they brewed at Wild Goose? The later editions of that
were beauties. And...I was just talking to a former WG brewer who's
hankering to get a batch of yeast from a Ringwood-brewing friend of his and
make a batch.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Jesse

> wrote in message
t...
> Jesse wrote:
> > Hi - Two of my favorite porters are Sierra Nevada and Grant's Perfect
> > Porter. Can any of you suggest some others that are worth trying?

> I liked the Presidential Porter (or whatever they're calling it- Geo.
> Washington on label) from Yards, but it's way too expensive
> ($13/sixpack) for a 'regularly purchase' beer.
>
> > PS I live in Jersey. And there's still no Big Foot!

> The Isle of Jersey or New Jersey? I'm in New Jersey and bought mine
> about 2 weeks ago. (There's even a couple of six packs left in my
> case.) I'm in the Central part of the state, bought the case from
> Marketplace Liquors on Rt. 18 (behind the K-Mart, next to A&P) in East
> Brunswick. They had 16 cases IIRC.
>
> The store has new owners and they are very interested in having the best
> selection of beer in the area- which they do, unless you consider
> Bridgewater in the same area, then they've got a ways to go. (Nope,
> don't work there, but I do shop there...)

I'm in New Jersey, Belmar to be exact. There is a very large liquor store
close by that has a great selection, and I was sure that if it could be had,
they would have it. I was wrong! I'm going to start making phone calls. I
sometimes think I'm living in Hootersville.

Dan Iwerks

"Lew Bryson" > wrote in
. com:

> "Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
>> Good deal. While I'm not a huge fan of most of the beers they make,
>> this year's Snow Goose was really, really beautiful stuff, and I
>> traditionally look forward to it every year. Would be a shame to see
>> that one vanish.

> Ever had the stuff they brewed at Wild Goose? The later editions of
> that were beauties. And...I was just talking to a former WG brewer
> who's hankering to get a batch of yeast from a Ringwood-brewing friend
> of his and make a batch.

Dunno, when did WG stop making it themselves and Frederick took over?
Had my first Snow Goose probably 3-4 years ago. FWIW, I thought this
year's version was the best I'd ever had, had loads more toffee
character, was just beautifully British in the maltiness. A brewer
brought some to the Holiday Ale Tasting at the Brick in December, was
surprised to see it and even more surprised at how much I enjoyed it. If
Snow Goose is any barometer of their skills, WG/Frederick/whatever need
to be able to get to a point where they're financially secure enough to
do a few more stronger styles. Seems to me that's where they found
excellence.
Dan Iwerks thinks that the beer you're drinking probably sucks.
The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me
responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot.
Lew Bryson

"Dan Iwerks" <dan_iwerksatyahoodottcom> wrote in message
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in
> > Ever had the stuff they brewed at Wild Goose? The later editions of
> > that were beauties. And...I was just talking to a former WG brewer
> > who's hankering to get a batch of yeast from a Ringwood-brewing friend
> > of his and make a batch.

> Dunno, when did WG stop making it themselves and Frederick took over?
> Had my first Snow Goose probably 3-4 years ago.

Hrmmm... I think the first non-WG Goose came out in 1996? That'd be before
your time.

> FWIW, I thought this
> year's version was the best I'd ever had, had loads more toffee
> character, was just beautifully British in the maltiness. A brewer
> brought some to the Holiday Ale Tasting at the Brick in December, was
> surprised to see it and even more surprised at how much I enjoyed it. If
> Snow Goose is any barometer of their skills, WG/Frederick/whatever need
> to be able to get to a point where they're financially secure enough to
> do a few more stronger styles. Seems to me that's where they found
> excellence.

Don't bet on that happening. Snow Goose is gonna be about as big as they
get. And their head brewer just left to go to Dogfish Head. Still, there's
Wild Goose brewer DNA floating around out there, so SOMEthing will come
together.

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Chuck Cook

Lew Bryson wrote:

> Hrmmm... I think the first non-WG Goose came out in 1996? That'd be before
> your time.

could have been '97 Lew. The last real Brimstone Strong Ale was '97.

> Don't bet on that happening. Snow Goose is gonna be about as big as they
> get. And their head brewer just left to go to Dogfish Head. Still, there's
> Wild Goose brewer DNA floating around out there, so SOMEthing will come
> together.

Is that Andy Tveekrem, Lew? Cheers, Chuck C.

Jesse wrote:

> I'm in New Jersey, Belmar to be exact. There is a very large liquor store
> close by that has a great selection, and I was sure that if it could

be had,
> they would have it. I was wrong! I'm going to start making phone calls. I
> sometimes think I'm living in Hootersville.

Which store is that? I stop by the liquor store near the Point Pleasant
Bridge on 36 (next to the empty Shop Rite- the name may be something
like "Jonathon Ron's") whenever I visit the in-law in PP- otherwise I'll
have to drink Coors Light or Budweiser.

They have an impressive selection of Belgians and sometimes other
imports, but they are poorly treated (stored in direct sunlight) and
often old (not too bad in the case of Belgians...). I was always
surprised, considering the amount of beers they carry, that the NEAREST
brewery to them- Heavyweight- had almost NO shelf space- often they have
NO Heavyweight beers at all. They have a big selection but it's quirky
(same with the joint across the road- much smaller selection but every
once in awhile they'll have something different)- I guess that part of
selling beer at the shore, tho'. The A&P Liquors further down the road
(next to the chain drug store) used to have a nice selection (altho',
again, often mis-treated) but has progressively gotten more pedestrian
in the last decade or so...

Alexander D. Mitchell IV

> Ever had the stuff they brewed at Wild Goose? The later editions of that
> were beauties. And...I was just talking to a former WG brewer who's
> hankering to get a batch of yeast from a Ringwood-brewing friend of his

and
> make a batch.

Second the motion will put money where my mouth is. I had a bottle of 1993
Snow Goose, cellar-aged, earlier this winter, from a GREEN bottle, and
although not as alcoholic as what else I'm about to name, it was in the
exact same league as Thomas Hardy's, Gale's Prize Old Ales, Fullers Vintage
Ales, and J.W. Lees Harvest Vintage Ales. All the positive character and
flavors, in a more drinkable, less stick-to-the-ribs format (for example,
think of Young's Old Nick as a similar "barleywine lite" of similar
strength--wait, weren't they both 6.8%?). Literally the best
non-super-premium beer I had had in a decade or more--and this was a beer
produced with NO aging aspirations whatsoever. Get someone with a Ringwood
plant to save this beer even if it means we have to fill bottles from kegs
in another location.

Hey, I think we just came up with another beer for Saxon/Phoenix to save
from extinction............ <:-)

Alexander D. Mitchell IV

Lew Bryson

"Chuck Cook" > wrote in message
> Lew Bryson wrote:
> > Hrmmm... I think the first non-WG Goose came out in 1996? That'd be

before
> > your time.

> could have been '97 Lew. The last real Brimstone Strong Ale was '97.

Could be, Chuck. I'm trying desperately to deny how old I am.

> > Don't bet on that happening. Snow Goose is gonna be about as big as they
> > get. And their head brewer just left to go to Dogfish Head. Still,

there's
> > Wild Goose brewer DNA floating around out there, so SOMEthing will come
> > together.

> Is that Andy Tveekrem, Lew? Cheers, Chuck C.

Yup, starts at DFH March 1.