MikeMcG

Default Victory in Europe! :-)

I knew the Downingtown invasion was coming to a Safeway near me (NW
U.K.) what I can't believe is the price of HopDevil - 0.69UKP per
355ml bottle.

For comparison in a bar a half pint (284ml) of massbrew lager would
generally cost you about 1.25UKP!
most peculiar mama,
but I aint complaining
cheers
MikeMcG
vincent p. norris

Be careful with that "Victory in Europe" stuff, Mike.

That was the title of Eisenhower's book about WW II, so you might be
sued for copyright infringement!

vince norris
MikeMcG

vincent p. norris > wrote in message >. ..
> Be careful with that "Victory in Europe" stuff, Mike.
>
> That was the title of Eisenhower's book about WW II, so you might be
> sued for copyright infringement!
>
> vince norris

I didn't think Dwight had a Copyright on it tho - the whole "VE Day"
business & all . . . ?
Tim Vanhoof

MikeMcG > wrote:

> I knew the Downingtown invasion was coming to a Safeway near me (NW
> U.K.) what I can't believe is the price of HopDevil - 0.69UKP per
> 355ml bottle.
>
> For comparison in a bar a half pint (284ml) of massbrew lager would
> generally cost you about 1.25UKP!
> most peculiar mama,
> but I aint complaining
> cheers
> MikeMcG

It's about twice that up here in Scotland. Looks like the beer-loving
price code fairies were having a bit of fun again. I tried the HopDevil
a few weeks ago (even at that price *g*) and it was pretty good,
although I like Goose Island IPA better.

I do hope that whoever ends up buying Safeway has the good sense to let
their beer buyer carry on as before. They have the best selection of
basically any major retail chain in the UK, which doesn't say much for
the off-licences (Whatever went wrong at Oddbins??)
vincent p. norris

>I didn't think Dwight had a Copyright on it tho - the whole "VE Day"
>business & all . . . ?

Typically it's the publisher who gets, and owns, the copyright. Since
he spent a pile of dough making printing plates, etc., it's unlikely
that he would not copyright the book.

(But I wasn't serious about the lawsuit.)

vince norris

Steve Jackson

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message

> Typically it's the publisher who gets, and owns, the copyright. Since
> he spent a pile of dough making printing plates, etc., it's unlikely
> that he would not copyright the book.

Titles aren't subject to copyright in the United States. Just the content of
a book, movie, album, etc. So it's a moot point.

-Steve

vincent p. norris

>Titles aren't subject to copyright in the United States. Just the content of
>a book, movie, album, etc. So it's a moot point.

Thanks, I wasn't awaare of that.
Steve Jackson

"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message

> >Titles aren't subject to copyright in the United States. Just the content

of
> >a book, movie, album, etc. So it's a moot point.

> Thanks, I wasn't awaare of that.

The porn industry is quite thankful too, I'm sure, since it lets them come
up with all sorts of plays on popular movie titles.

Incidentally, while titles cannot be copyrighted, they can be trademarked.
Which is why another movie called "Star Wars" probably would not be allowed,
since it would create confusion and therefore financial damage to the Star
Wars brand, a song probably could be called that, since there is little room
for confusion in the marketplace.

Intellectual property law is fun.

-Steve

Topi Linkala

Steve Jackson wrote:

> Intellectual property law is fun.

In a same vein as the chinese curse: 'May you live interresting times.'

ObjBeer: I had the pleasure to make next years bottled foreing beer
selection in my local watering hole. Gonna get Gale's Old Prize Ale.

Nam!

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

MikeMcG

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message news:<EJeub.10598$6G3.8280@fed1read06>...
> "vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
>
> > >Titles aren't subject to copyright in the United States. Just the content

> of
> > >a book, movie, album, etc. So it's a moot point.

> > Thanks, I wasn't awaare of that.

> The porn industry is quite thankful too, I'm sure, since it lets them come
> up with all sorts of plays on popular movie titles.
>
> Incidentally, while titles cannot be copyrighted, they can be trademarked.
> Which is why another movie called "Star Wars" probably would not be allowed,
> since it would create confusion and therefore financial damage to the Star
> Wars brand, a song probably could be called that, since there is little room
> for confusion in the marketplace.
>
> Intellectual property law is fun.
>
> -Steve

BTW - I did consciously choose the topic title for its play on words,
next time I may just stick with "Cheap HopDevil in English
supermarkets" or somesuch

The Submarine Captain

vincent p. norris wrote:

>>I didn't think Dwight had a Copyright on it tho - the whole "VE Day"
>>business & all . . . ?
>>

>Typically it's the publisher who gets, and owns, the copyright. Since
>he spent a pile of dough making printing plates, etc., it's unlikely
>that he would not copyright the book.

As Mike's in Europe, he's under UK law, which, like most western
European copyright laws, grnats protection automatically as soon as the
work is published. A title alone doesn't qualify as original piece of work.

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

La bouche pleine de débris de phrase aphones retournerons nous dans l'île du docteur Moreau à quatre pattes.
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

Steve Jackson

"MikeMcG" > wrote in message
om...

> I knew the Downingtown invasion was coming to a Safeway near me (NW
> U.K.) what I can't believe is the price of HopDevil - 0.69UKP per
> 355ml bottle.

So, anyway, to actually talk about the beer instead of Ike, what's the
verdict? Does it survive the journey across the pond in good shape?

-Steve

MikeMcG

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message news:<RNvub.16890$6G3.16379@fed1read06>...
> "MikeMcG" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > I knew the Downingtown invasion was coming to a Safeway near me (NW
> > U.K.) what I can't believe is the price of HopDevil - 0.69UKP per
> > 355ml bottle.

> So, anyway, to actually talk about the beer instead of Ike, what's the
> verdict? Does it survive the journey across the pond in good shape?
>
> -Steve

untried as yet - it's not every night I fancy a 21% stout :~)

tried last year's(?) 23% version at GBBF (& went to bizarre
poetry/music thing at White Horse SW6, with Sam Calagione)- hugely
roasty, powerfully alcoholic, really slow-sipping stuff, complex &
"difficult" but enjoyable & definitely IMO still "beer" despite being
so removed from most.

I understand that the earlier 18% (& new US version at 18.8%) were
better tasting for their slightly less insane alcohol levels?
cheers
MikeMcG
mic (underscore) mac (at) postmaster (dot) co (dot) uk
MikeMcG

"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message news:<RNvub.16890$6G3.16379@fed1read06>...
> "MikeMcG" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > I knew the Downingtown invasion was coming to a Safeway near me (NW
> > U.K.) what I can't believe is the price of HopDevil - 0.69UKP per
> > 355ml bottle.

> So, anyway, to actually talk about the beer instead of Ike, what's the
> verdict? Does it survive the journey across the pond in good shape?
>
> -Steve

& anyway, about the HopDevil, (as opposed to the Dogfish World Wide
that I've just been blathering about!) very nice - seemed perfectly
fresh - loads of chewy malt, good bit of alcohol & body, nuff
bitterness & fresh grapefruity cascadey hops - delicious.
Garry Simmons

Hop Devil
> delicious.

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps my fave beer in the whole world. Although SNCA
on tap (just had two pints on an empty stomach) is a close second. God I
love hoppy beers with a malt backbone...

Garry

Victory Quiche Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 10-10-2006 12:35 PM
Victory New Beer in June Steve Pretti Beer 12 26-04-2005 05:47 PM
Victory New Beer in June Steve Pretti Beer 0 22-04-2005 05:36 PM
Victory Hop Wallop Dave Stallard Beer 28 23-11-2004 07:29 PM
Victory Hop Wallop James J. Walton Beer 0 06-01-2004 04:15 PM