Chris Clancey

Default Size of a standard pub beer-barrel

Hello,

I'd like to know the gallon capacity of a standard beer barrel that
pubs get in the UK. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!

Chris
Dave Bourke

> I'd like to know the gallon capacity of a standard beer barrel that
> pubs get in the UK. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!

Depends if you are talking Real Ale or not.

RA typically comes in either 9 or 18 gallons.
Lagers, Guinness, etc come in a multitude of different sizes, which
are either 30, 40 or 50 or 100 Litre.

Regards,
Dave.
The Submarine Captain

Dave Bourke wrote:

>RA typically comes in either 9 or 18 gallons.
>Lagers, Guinness, etc come in a multitude of different sizes, which
>are either 30, 40 or 50 or 100 Litre.

anything over 30 litres is becoming rarer these days, because of safety
regulations...
20 litres are quite common.

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

.... Et seul un animal marin aurait la possibilité de se mouvoir dans l'espace avec autant d'aisance que dans la mer il se meut !! Et l'on sait que rien n'égale le spectacle du PPuissant Baleinoptère - avec ou sans bosse - évoluant parmi l'élément liquide et salé...
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland

Paul King

"Chris Clancey" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know the gallon capacity of a standard beer barrel that
> pubs get in the UK. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!
>
> Chris

A "proper" standard UK barrel holds 36 gallons. The next size up, a
Hogshead, holds 56 gallons! The largest is a Butt - 100 gallons!
HTH
Paul

---

MikeMcG

MikeMcG wrote:
>But the term 'barrel' to UK brewers & publicans refers specifically

>a quantity of 36-gallons.

Paul Sherwin wrote
> True, but the British general public uses the term 'barrel' to
> describe any draught beer container, cask or keg, any size - much as
> in the US I suspect.

erm, yes, that's why I wrote
"'barrel' to brewers & publicans refers to ... 36 gallons"
i.e. I was trying to imply that for beer 'barrel' has both a common
usage (any sized draught beer container) and a technical one (a
quantity of beer)

> A "proper" standard UK barrel holds 36 gallons. The next size up, a
> Hogshead, holds 56 gallons! The largest is a Butt - 100 gallons!
> HTH

I thought for beer these were all multiples of 9gal?(*)
i.e. (the ones alredy mentioned) plus Hogshead=54gal, Puncheon=72gal,
Butt=108gal, Tun=216gal?

(*)apart from the 4.5gal 'pin')

cheers
MikeMcG

BTW apologies for repeating what everyone else said - one of the
vagaries of readng & posting via google's slow usenet service.
Paul King

Well, I found this -
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~phl..._glossary.html

Look under "cask".

Kinda knocks all the arguments together

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Mike

1 hogshead

Chris Clancey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know the gallon capacity of a standard beer barrel that
> pubs get in the UK. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!
>
> Chris

Bill Benzel

Mike ) wrote:
: 1 hogshead

That's just great -- now perhaps you can explain a phrase that has
mystified me since 1967:

.....dancing through a hogshead of real fire...

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above
Derric

>: 1 hogshead
>
> That's just great -- now perhaps you can explain a phrase that has
> mystified me since 1967:
>
> ....dancing through a hogshead of real fire...

Perhaps it is like jumping thru a "ring of fire," where the ring is
a barrel!? Found this:
http://www.lyricstime.com/lyrics/23722.html

MikeMcG

Derric > wrote in message >. ..
> >: 1 hogshead
> >
> > That's just great -- now perhaps you can explain a phrase that has
> > mystified me since 1967:
> >
> > ....dancing through a hogshead of real fire...

> Perhaps it is like jumping thru a "ring of fire," . . .

ah . . . a belated virtual one minutes silence for the man in black's passing?

then altogether -
"Love Is A Burning Thing
And It Makes A Fiery Ring
Bound By Wild Desire
I Fell Into A Ring Of Fire

I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire
I Went Down, Down, Down
And The Flames Went Higher

And It Burns, Burns, Burns
The Ring Of Fire"
martyn dawe

A Barrel is a specific size , cask or keg is the generic for a container
of cask beer, it depends where you are drinking but Holts pubs in
Manchester are known to do 36 Gallon casks( I think this a barrel) ,
some pubs with great ranges of beers stock 9 gallons casks, This is in
the UK.
AFAIK

In message >, MikeMcG

--
martyn dawe

Dan Listermann

"martyn dawe" > wrote in message
news
> A Barrel is a specific size , cask or keg is the generic for a container
> of cask beer, it depends where you are drinking but Holts pubs in
> Manchester are known to do 36 Gallon casks( I think this a barrel) ,
> some pubs with great ranges of beers stock 9 gallons casks, This is in
> the UK.
> AFAIK

36 Imperial Gallons is an Imperial barrel. Full, it holds 360 pounds of
water. A measurement of gravity was the "Brewer's Pound." It was the
number of pounds beyond 360 that a barrel of wort weighed. IIRC it equals
2.777 specific gravity points.

belto

artyn dawe" > wrote in message
news
> A Barrel is a specific size , cask or keg is the generic for a container
> of cask beer, it depends where you are drinking but Holts pubs in
> Manchester are known to do 36 Gallon casks( I think this a barrel) ,
> some pubs with great ranges of beers stock 9 gallons casks, This is in
> the UK.
> AFAIK
>

> In message >, MikeMcG
> > writes

a Hogshead is a large UK cask holding 63 gals of Ale.
Could this statement be interpreted as a ""session on high alcohol"

Terry B (UK)

> >> Perhaps it is like jumping thru a "ring of fire," . . .

> >ah . . . a belated virtual one minutes silence for the man in black's

passing?

> >then altogether -
> >"Love Is A Burning Thing
> >And It Makes A Fiery Ring
> >Bound By Wild Desire
> >I Fell Into A Ring Of Fire
> >
> >I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire
> >I Went Down, Down, Down
> >And The Flames Went Higher
> >
> >And It Burns, Burns, Burns
> >The Ring Of Fire"

> --
> martyn dawe

Dono

I was messing around with a conversion website to help me with some numbers
when I remembered this strand. I guess there is a difference between US
measurements of volume and the British measurements. According to the
calculator the British Gallon is approximately 1.2 US Gallons. So is there a
possibility that this translates over to some of the stuff you guys are
doing?

You guys probably already know this but I thought I'd put in my "look what I
learned" 2 cents.

Here's the site I used:
http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/EASYvolume.html

Salud!