waryferalkid

Default cumberland, md

Hi -

I see a bunch of bars/taverns listed in the online yellow pages for
Cumberland, MD. Pubcrawler mentions an Uncle Tucker's Brewpub, but
the reviews by people who seem to know what they're talking about are
clearly less than enthusiastic.

I'd rather go to a neighborhood bar that has good taps and some
character than a touristy brewpub, anyway . . .

If anyone has any recommendations, opinions, reflections, etc., I'd
love to hear them!

Here's what shows up in the online yellow pages:

Corner Tavern
Dam Tavern
Dave & Evelyns Pub
E Z Way Bar
Grays Tavern
K Bar
L Vs Pub
Parkview Tavern
Shooters Bar & Grill
Thirstys Bar & Grill
Valley Tavern
Lew Bryson

"waryferalkid" > wrote in message
> I see a bunch of bars/taverns listed in the online yellow pages for
> Cumberland, MD. Pubcrawler mentions an Uncle Tucker's Brewpub, but
> the reviews by people who seem to know what they're talking about are
> clearly less than enthusiastic.
>
> I'd rather go to a neighborhood bar that has good taps and some
> character than a touristy brewpub, anyway . . .
>
> If anyone has any recommendations, opinions, reflections, etc., I'd
> love to hear them!

I liked Uncle Tucker's the ONE time I've been there. Two of the beers tasted
a little old, but three of them were real nice...and a couple people who
seem to know what they're talking about have e-mailed me to agree. However,
after I ran a favorable review in my Ale Street News column, I got one irate
e-mail from a reader who thoroughly disagreed. I can only guess that the
beer is, as they say, 'variable.' The stuff I had was good, the pizza I had
was damned good. But the bars in town...don't expect much, pardner. Not in
the way of 'good taps' or character. Oh, and I wouldn't call Uncle Tucker's
"touristy." "Eccentric," perhaps, but not touristy.

One Baltimore beerdrinker suggested the following (note: he says it's NOT a
bar, but a restaurant with German beer). "Fred Warner's German Restaurant,
Route 220, Cresaptown, Maryland, 301-729-2361
From Interstate 68 at Cumberland take exit 42, which is Rt. 220, and go
south. Do not take truck Rt. 220. The restaurant is just 5 minutes away. It
will be on your left. You have three reasons to stop at Fred's. The décor,
the aroma and the taste. As you enter, before you see anything your nose
will tell you that you have entered heaven. If it weren't for the fine aroma
that greets you at the door you would think you were walking into a museum.
Every nook and cranny displays a German Artifact, some new, some old but all
German. These may get you in the door but after you taste the food you may
not want to leave. They have some German beer but this is not a bar."

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

mary

There is a hotel with an interesting bar in downtown Frostburg which is
about ten miles north of Cumberland on Route 40. It is a college town so
they may have a variety of beers. I cannot remember the name of the place,
but it is a hotel on the main drag. It is not a motel.

Tom