Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer

Default Back to Pilsners

> wrote:
>PU is not what it used to be. They shortened lagering times from 3
>months to 1 month and only use 1 yeast strain.

I've also heard (from somebody who visited) that they now use
stainless steel fermenters instead of the old-style wooden ones.
I understand they still have some that you can taste on premises
that are done the older way.
Personally, I think it's still a good beer but it does seem
a bit more sterile than it used to be.
--
Joel Plutchak

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

On 4/24/2009 6:25 AM Joel ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

> > wrote:
>> PU is not what it used to be. They shortened lagering times from 3
>> months to 1 month and only use 1 yeast strain.

> I've also heard (from somebody who visited) that they now use
> stainless steel fermenters instead of the old-style wooden ones.

True, but the old wooden fermenters have found Very Good Homes in
the Pajottenland, where they now hold lambics. That's a nice big
step up, AFAIC. I've seen some of them in, um, "action" recently.

ObDiversion: Toer de Geuze. A must for the lambic-loving beer
geek, as much as the Hajj is for observant Muslims. Srsly. One of
the best Sundays out ... ever.

> I understand they still have some that you can taste on premises
> that are done the older way.

"While stocks last!"

> Personally, I think it's still a good beer but it does seem
> a bit more sterile than it used to be.

It's not a bad go-to beer, but yes, "a bit more sterile" is one
way of putting it. Chalk it up to PU being part of a big international
conglomerate and the perceived need to "modernize" to compete with a
global brand on a global scale.
--
dgs

I'm back Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 03-04-2012 11:03 PM
What is the tea you always come back to? Milo Tea 8 04-01-2008 09:25 AM
I'm back Redhart Wine 1 08-03-2005 03:00 AM
I'm back. ed General Cooking 3 29-07-2004 11:31 PM