Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Silver Smoker Mods (was Wood)

*Al Reid* areidjr at reidDASHhome.com wrote

>"Mike Avery" <mavery at mail.otherwhen.com wrote:
>> I recently made the jump from an electric smoker (a Redi-Smok,

which is a good one if you have to use electric) to an off-set smoker (a
Silver
>> Smoker, as yet unmodified). And now I'm curious about wood.

> I suggest that you do the modifications. I did them to my SS and the

results were satisfying.

Which modifications did you do? Which do you think gave you the best
bang for your time and effort?

I'm leaning towards putting the flashing in the smokestack and putting
baffles at the space between the firebox and smoking chamber.

I'm less sure about things like putting bricks in the smoking chamber
and putting a new drain in the smoker chamber.

If you know of others and can provide pointers to pictures, that'd be
great....

Thanks,
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM mavery81230
wordsmith Yahoo mavery81230

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:
> *Al Reid* areidjr at reidDASHhome.com wrote
>
> >"Mike Avery" <mavery at mail.otherwhen.com wrote:
> >> I recently made the jump from an electric smoker (a Redi-Smok,

> which is a good one if you have to use electric) to an off-set smoker
> (a Silver
> >> Smoker, as yet unmodified). And now I'm curious about wood.

> > I suggest that you do the modifications. I did them to my SS and

> the results were satisfying.
>
> Which modifications did you do? Which do you think gave you the best
> bang for your time and effort?
>
> I'm leaning towards putting the flashing in the smokestack and putting
> baffles at the space between the firebox and smoking chamber.
>
> I'm less sure about things like putting bricks in the smoking chamber
> and putting a new drain in the smoker chamber.
>
> If you know of others and can provide pointers to pictures, that'd be
> great....
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I did the baffle, stack and fire bricks. I think that I would say that in order of imapct was 1) baffle, 2) stack extension and 3)
fire bricks. The bricks slow down the initial heat-up, but seem to help to resist quick temperature changes. I was quite
frustrated before the mods and quite happy afterward.

YMMV
--
Al Reid

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Aug-2006, Mike Avery > wrote:

> *Al Reid* areidjr at reidDASHhome.com wrote
>
> >"Mike Avery" <mavery at mail.otherwhen.com wrote:
> >> I recently made the jump from an electric smoker (a Redi-Smok,

> which is a good one if you have to use electric) to an off-set smoker (a
> Silver
> >> Smoker, as yet unmodified). And now I'm curious about wood.

> > I suggest that you do the modifications. I did them to my SS and the

> results were satisfying.
>
> Which modifications did you do? Which do you think gave you the best
> bang for your time and effort?
>
> I'm leaning towards putting the flashing in the smokestack and putting
> baffles at the space between the firebox and smoking chamber.
>
> I'm less sure about things like putting bricks in the smoking chamber
> and putting a new drain in the smoker chamber.
>
> If you know of others and can provide pointers to pictures, that'd be
> great....
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I have extended the smokestack in mine and turned two grates sideways
in the firebox to achieve more ash space. I have just recently added a
cutdown Charbroil cooking grate to my firebox. The original grate was
too large to install with a fire going and the fire is too hard to tend with
the
grate in place. The new grate is 13-3/4 X 15-1/2". Until now I was unable
to grill in the firebox. Hot damn, I have enough heat to cook a steak now.
About 3 mins/side and I get a slightly carmelized surface with a bright
pink center. As for the baffles, I just place a brick on the cook grate
next to the entrance to the firebox. It blocks most of the direct radiation.

--
Brick(Found a motor..Trying to get it started.)