Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Need help with cooking temps (smoking brisket)

I cooked a couple of really good packer-cut briskets, about 10-12 lbs.
each, on my NBBD last weekend. I won't go into the details,
preparation, etc. but let me say that I cooked them in the smoker at
about 225-250 degrees until the thickest part had an internal temp of
190. Then I wrapped them in heavy foil and finished them in the oven at
300 until they had an internal temp of 205.

The meat sat overnight rubbed with Fiesta Brisket Rub. It warmed to
room temp before going into the smoker.

After letting them sit for a few hours (NEVER cut into a freshly cooked
brisket!!!!), I sliced off some samples and it just melted in my mouth.
Nice stuff. Used pecan, by the way.

Thing is, some of the meat was kinda dry, as I noticed the next few
days when I re-heated it. I'm wondering what temps some of you guys use
at these various stages in the process. One problem I might have had
was that a couple of times, right after adding to the firebox, I had
spikes of up to 300-325 for about 10-15 minutes.

The meat sat overnight rubbed with Fiesta Brisket Rub. It warmed to
room temp before going into the smoker.

I've read that if you cook it during the first stage at less than 250,
it can come out a little dry or tough because that's not enough heat to
break down the collagen. Please don't suggest that I soak it in
something overnight, or baste it every 7.3539 minutes, or use a "water
pan," etc. I know how to do brisket, I'm just trying to fine-tune my
method.

Thanks,
R.S.

Overall, it was really good, but I'd like to get it down to
melt-in-your-mouth perfection.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I cooked a couple of really good packer-cut briskets, about 10-12 lbs.
> each, on my NBBD last weekend. I won't go into the details,
> preparation, etc. but let me say that I cooked them in the smoker at
> about 225-250 degrees until the thickest part had an internal temp of
> 190. Then I wrapped them in heavy foil and finished them in the oven at
> 300 until they had an internal temp of 205.

205 is on the high side. I take mine out at 192 to 195. I cook them at
250. The spike were not a problem. A few guys do the entire cooking at 300
or more. I never baste or mop either. I've never found any value to it.
Same with any marinades or soaking.

I'm sure there are plenty of other combination, but this works for me.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks, Ed. I've read that I should wrap them in foil and finish them
earlier - when they reach 170 to 180. For the second stage, many, MANY
places suggest cooking to 205 or even 210. But quite a few people have
said 195, too, like you.

I've also heard that cooking at too low a temp will make it drier, too,
and that the first-stage cooking should be at 250-275, minimum.

R.S.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I cooked a couple of really good packer-cut briskets, about 10-12 lbs.
> each, on my NBBD last weekend. I won't go into the details,
> preparation, etc. but let me say that I cooked them in the smoker at
> about 225-250 degrees until the thickest part had an internal temp of
> 190. Then I wrapped them in heavy foil and finished them in the oven at
> 300 until they had an internal temp of 205.

At home I just throw the meat on the fire(rubbed of course) direct on the
Big Drum till the fork goes in easy!! But at contests the brisket is
pulled from the cooker at about 165° wrapped with more seasonings and juices
'till the temp is aobut 195° then allowed to rest--shortly b4 turnins the
meat goes on the cooker to firm a bit b4 slicing---usually works for me--btw
cooking temp is about 225°.
Like to start with a 15lb'r or so and trim it severely to fit the box b4
cooking---there another secret out of the bag<LOL>

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've heard of some guys that do BOTH stages at 300-350, the idea being
to quickly break down the collagen before the meat dries out, wrapping
it in foil whenthe meat's internal temp hits about 175. Haven't tried
it, though.

R.S.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> I've heard of some guys that do BOTH stages at 300-350, the idea being
> to quickly break down the collagen before the meat dries out, wrapping
> it in foil whenthe meat's internal temp hits about 175. Haven't tried
> it, though.
>
> R.S.

Thats a standard (indoor) cooking technique for roasting meats, sear it
first at a high temp then cook normal temp. But, not needed at all for
doing Q.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at:
http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

What I learned about smoking brisket over the last year Donald Bones Barbecue 18 21-06-2009 07:07 PM
Smoking brisket in California Zz Yzx Barbecue 11 28-06-2008 09:16 AM
Brisket smoking times, 2 pieces Skwzmnlmn Barbecue 14 15-06-2005 09:01 PM
Smoking brisket p-nut Barbecue 1 22-05-2005 06:36 PM
Smoking brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 0 22-05-2005 12:58 PM