Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bk bk is offline

Default Salmom

Looking for good resources for cooking salmon. I have enough to try some
smoked and another grilled.
Appreciate the help.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bk wrote:

> Looking for good resources for cooking salmon. I have enough to try some
> smoked and another grilled.
> Appreciate the help.

Here's some good smoking instructions

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bk wrote:
> Looking for good resources for cooking salmon. I have enough to try some
> smoked and another grilled.
> Appreciate the help.

Here's what my wife and I like:

3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1-2 Tbls mustard
1/3 cup molasses
1-2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch basil

Bring to low simmer- cool; marinade salmon for 2-4 hours. I grill it
over direct heat, using lump and lots of wood chips.

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30 Mar 2006 18:38:25 -0800, "JimnGin" > wrote:

>bk wrote:
>> Looking for good resources for cooking salmon. I have enough to try some
>> smoked and another grilled.
>> Appreciate the help.

>Here's what my wife and I like:
>
>3/4 cup soy sauce
>1/4 cup water
>1-2 Tbls mustard
>1/3 cup molasses
>1-2 teaspoons ginger
>1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
>pinch basil
>
>Bring to low simmer- cool; marinade salmon for 2-4 hours. I grill it
>over direct heat, using lump and lots of wood chips.

Try alder for the chunks/chips. The chips are usually available
wherever Luhr Jensen smokers are sold.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I would really like to find an easy way to "cold smoke" salmon, as the
Norwegians do. I make gravlax, where the salmon is cured with salt and
sugar preserving the salmon without cooking it, and smoking at a very low
temp. It is seasoned with a variety of seasonings, most often dill.
I tried doing this, followed with a very low temp smoke on the Luhrs Jensen
and it ended up cooked, rather than the usual "cold smoked salmon". If
anyone has done this successfuly, I would certainly like to hear how you did
it.
Kent

"bk" > wrote in message
> Looking for good resources for cooking salmon. I have enough to try some
> smoked and another grilled.
> Appreciate the help.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I would really like to find an easy way to "cold smoke" salmon, as the
> Norwegians do. I make gravlax, where the salmon is cured with salt and
> sugar preserving the salmon without cooking it, and smoking at a very low
> temp. It is seasoned with a variety of seasonings, most often dill.
> I tried doing this, followed with a very low temp smoke on the Luhrs Jensen
> and it ended up cooked, rather than the usual "cold smoked salmon". If
> anyone has done this successfuly, I would certainly like to hear how you did
> it.
> Kent

Kent,

In this instance, special equipment works best. I tried for long
time doing it with various hot smokers, but gave up on it for
productivity reasons. Cold smoking can be done in a regular
pit, but it's a PITA. You won't like it if you do very much
cold smoking.

The cheapest way is the homegrown method, made popular
by Alton Brown

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,1976,FOOD_9956_2245800,00.html>

From there it gets more expensive. Here are a few dedicated smoke
generators. I use both of these.

<http://sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17>

<http://www.barbecue-store.com/bradleysmokegenerator-7055.htm>

Key point he You want smoke without heat. In order to
do that you have to employ separate chambers, hence the need
for a separate smoke generator.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
m...
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I would really like to find an easy way to "cold smoke" salmon, as the
>> Norwegians do. I make gravlax, where the salmon is cured with salt and
>> sugar preserving the salmon without cooking it, and smoking at a very low
>> temp. It is seasoned with a variety of seasonings, most often dill.
>> I tried doing this, followed with a very low temp smoke on the Luhrs
>> Jensen and it ended up cooked, rather than the usual "cold smoked
>> salmon". If anyone has done this successfuly, I would certainly like to
>> hear how you did it.
>> Kent

> Kent,
>
> In this instance, special equipment works best. I tried for long
> time doing it with various hot smokers, but gave up on it for
> productivity reasons. Cold smoking can be done in a regular
> pit, but it's a PITA. You won't like it if you do very much
> cold smoking.
>
> The cheapest way is the homegrown method, made popular
> by Alton Brown
>
> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,1976,FOOD_9956_2245800,00.html>
>
> From there it gets more expensive. Here are a few dedicated smoke
> generators. I use both of these.
>
> <http://sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17>
>
> <http://www.barbecue-store.com/bradleysmokegenerator-7055.htm>
>
> Key point he You want smoke without heat. In order to
> do that you have to employ separate chambers, hence the need
> for a separate smoke generator.
>
> --
> Reg

Thanks Reg

Everything suddenly all makes sense. When you smoke salmon like this, how do
you cure before you smoke? More importantly, do you freeze it to kill
parasites before curing? I worry about this when making gravlax.
I have smoked salmon on the Luhrs Jensen at 135F, in very similar fashion as
the Alton Brown technique and the salmon has still ended up cooked. It
occured to me as I was writing my above post that one had to figure a way to
get "cold smoke" to the fish without heating it.
Thanks again for your post.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Thanks Reg
>
> Everything suddenly all makes sense. When you smoke salmon like this, how do
> you cure before you smoke?

I use a lot of different cures. Simplest is salt, sugar,
and fresh dill. Here's a more elegant one. It's one of my
favorites.

Beet and Horseradish Cured Salmon

Yield: 2 3/4 lbs, 12 - 14 2 1/2 oz servings

3 lb salmon fillet
3/4 lb finely chopped or grated raw beets
1 lb fresh horseradish
6 oz sugar
6 oz salt
2 T cracked pepper

Remove pinbones from fillet and place on plastic wrap. Mix the cure
ingredients and pack evenly over salmon. Thinner portions should
get less cure. Wrap well and cure under refrigeration for 3 days.
Scrape off cure and serve. Keeps up to a week in the refrigerator.

> More importantly, do you freeze it to kill
> parasites before curing? I worry about this when making gravlax.

Parasites are definitely a concern. Enough that I wouldn't
serve it to guests if I wasn't sure it had been frozen. I
do that with ceviche, too.

You definitely can make sure fish is parasite free by freezing
it. Contrary to what you may hear, you don't need a commercial
freezer to accomplish it, they just do it faster. Two weeks
at 0 F will render fish safe from parasites. Three weeks
at 5 F.

You can cure other types of fish also. I've been experimenting
with red snapper, pompano, etc, varying the cure, trying to
come up with different variations.

Here's a reference on which species can be safely eaten raw
and which need to be frozen first.

Table #3-1 - Potential Vertebrate Species Related Hazards

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/haccp4c1.html

Table #3-2 - Potential Invertebrate Species Related Hazards

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/haccp4c2.html

> I have smoked salmon on the Luhrs Jensen at 135F, in very similar fashion as
> the Alton Brown technique and the salmon has still ended up cooked. It
> occured to me as I was writing my above post that one had to figure a way to
> get "cold smoke" to the fish without heating it.
> Thanks again for your post.

Let me know if you need some more details on how to build
your cold smoker, what materials, etc.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Here is a great marinade for smoked salmon, its easy too. Try 1 cup
terraki, 1 cup soy sauce and 1 beer..let it soak overnite and smoke away. I
also like to sprinkle a bit of cayanne pepper on just before placing into
the smoker. Just a pinch tho. a little goes a long way. I happen to enjoy
the taste of cherry wood for my choice of fuel. Good luck and enjoy

don