Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Conversion!!

Please endure a noob... I'm pretty fed up with the whole gas grille scene
(can't convince the wife yet) so I'm wondering if anyone has used an insert
in a gas grill that would hold charcoal allowing either/ or, depending on
the chef. I realize that there would be a draft problem and eventual
burn-out of a metal pan. Experiences and condemnations appreciated - (LOL).

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

C & E wrote:
> Please endure a noob... I'm pretty fed up with the whole gas grille scene
> (can't convince the wife yet) so I'm wondering if anyone has used an insert
> in a gas grill that would hold charcoal allowing either/ or, depending on
> the chef. I realize that there would be a draft problem and eventual
> burn-out of a metal pan. Experiences and condemnations appreciated - (LOL).

I went this route after my POS gas grill's burner bit the dust, but
before I decided to buy a charcoal grill. I actually did it two ways.
One, I used the base of my electric bullet smoker as a charcoal grill.
Two, I used a pie pan in my gas grill to hold charcoal.

Using the pie pan in the gas grill was ok, but it's only big enough to
get maybe 2 burgers or so. You could probably use an inexpensive
cookie sheet or similar, if you can find one the right size. Just take
the cooking grate off of your gas grill, put the cookie sheet in, dump
a chimney's worth of hot coals in, and then replace the cooking grate.
Maybe drill a bunch of holes in the cookie sheet for improved airflow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"dakota2112" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> C & E wrote:
>> Please endure a noob... I'm pretty fed up with the whole gas grille
>> scene
>> (can't convince the wife yet) so I'm wondering if anyone has used an
>> insert
>> in a gas grill that would hold charcoal allowing either/ or, depending on
>> the chef. I realize that there would be a draft problem and eventual
>> burn-out of a metal pan. Experiences and condemnations appreciated -
>> (LOL).

> I went this route after my POS gas grill's burner bit the dust, but
> before I decided to buy a charcoal grill. I actually did it two ways.
> One, I used the base of my electric bullet smoker as a charcoal grill.
> Two, I used a pie pan in my gas grill to hold charcoal.
>
> Using the pie pan in the gas grill was ok, but it's only big enough to
> get maybe 2 burgers or so. You could probably use an inexpensive
> cookie sheet or similar, if you can find one the right size. Just take
> the cooking grate off of your gas grill, put the cookie sheet in, dump
> a chimney's worth of hot coals in, and then replace the cooking grate.
> Maybe drill a bunch of holes in the cookie sheet for improved airflow.

That's as about what I was imagining but leaving the gas burners intact for
the wife to use.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

C & E wrote:

> That's as about what I was imagining but leaving the gas burners intact for
> the wife to use.

C & E,

Do a search for "Char-Broil 4637330" or "Charbroil charcoal/gas"

I can speak for it being a functionally reasonable gas grill, but never
tried out the charcoal option on mine, as I had a WSM to play with.
Not sure if this product is still in production or not. Mine was still
running strong after 3-4 years of seasonal use.

Jason

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've got a 6 burner Vermont Castings natural gas grill that I love.
We moved in November and the gas pressure must not be the same as at
our old place because I can't get the same temps as I used to. Before
it would get up to 700 degrees and now it barely goes over 500. I'll
have to call the gas company to see if they can increase the flow to
our house.
On Wednesday I stopped by the Chinese market on my way home and picked
up a small ribeye roast ($1.79/lb!!) and cut it into 3 thick steaks. I
fired up the grill and let it warm up while I prepared my side dishes.
I grilled 2 of the steaks, turning them after 5 minutes and removing
them after 10. The insides were a nice medium rare but the outside was
barely seared with only a thin crust where the steaks had rested on the
enameled cast iron. Between the sear marks the meat was gray.
Thursday night Sue had a late class so I was on my own for dinner. I
thought I'd try something different with the last steak. I filled a
chimney with lump and a semi burnt chunk of hickory and lit it. After
10 minutes I placed the grill from my WSM directly on top. Blue flames
and sparks raced out of the chimney as the sides glowed cherry red. I
cooked the steak for 4 minutes a side on my new little grill and
removed the steak to a warm plate, some butter and a foil tent for 6
minutes while I steamed some beans.
FOR SALE: Stainless steel Vermont Castings 6 burner grill, will deliver
anywhere in the Toronto area.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Alton Brown did the same thing, but he cooked a tuna steak. From what I saw
on the t.v. it works really well for searing.

> I filled a chimney with lump and a semi burnt chunk of hickory and lit it.
> After
> 10 minutes I placed the grill from my WSM directly on top. Blue flames
> and sparks raced out of the chimney as the sides glowed cherry red. I
> cooked the steak for 4 minutes a side on my new little grill and
> removed the steak to a warm plate, some butter and a foil tent for 6
> minutes while I steamed some beans.
> FOR SALE: Stainless steel Vermont Castings 6 burner grill, will deliver
> anywhere in the Toronto area.

Looking for an odd conversion Kswck General Cooking 7 05-05-2007 02:55 AM
Gas conversion? Hunibal Barbecue 6 08-04-2005 02:59 AM
Gas conversion? Hunibal Barbecue 0 07-04-2005 04:21 PM
Salt conversion? Herself General Cooking 15 24-11-2003 08:53 PM