Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default PING: Graeme

I've been searching for the roast trout recipe that you posted on a.b.f
some time ago. It has gone missing from my computer and google doesn't
archive binary groups.

I remember the main ingredients being trout, potatoes, fish stock and
saffron. Could you do an old man a favor and repost the recipe?

Thanks,

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Graeme

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> I've been searching for the roast trout recipe that you posted on a.b.f
> some time ago. It has gone missing from my computer and google doesn't
> archive binary groups.
>
> I remember the main ingredients being trout, potatoes, fish stock and
> saffron. Could you do an old man a favor and repost the recipe?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

MLM, here ya go. I cook this from memory, but I've managed to find the
original recipe with the correct measurements.

You need:

Good pinch of saffron threads
600ml hot chicken or veg stock (cube will suffice)
12 medium-sized spuds, peeled (floury, not waxy)
6 tbsp EVOO
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
a bunch of fresh thyme
chopped anchovies
S&P

1: Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5. Soak the saffron threads in 2 tbsp
of the hot stock for 10 minutes, then stir into the remaining stock.

2: Cut the spuds into thin slices, keeping the slices of each potato
together. Place the potatoes on a buttered deep baking tray, fanning out the
slices into a single layer.

3: Pour over the EVOO, season (go easy on the salt, the anchovies are plenty
salty), then scatter with the garlic, thyme and anchovies. Pour the hot
saffron stock over the potatoes and bake uncovered for 75 minutes, basting
2-3 times, until the liquid is almost absorbed and the potatoes start to
crisp.

4: Place whole scored fish (trout, salmon, snapper, etc) which has been
generously coated in additional EVOO on top of spuds and bake uncovered
until done.

The only word of warning I can give is not to add too much saffron,
otherwise the saffron overpowers the other flavours.

You'll only make that mistake once.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>> I've been searching for the roast trout recipe that you posted on a.b.f
>> some time ago. It has gone missing from my computer and google doesn't
>> archive binary groups.
>>
>> I remember the main ingredients being trout, potatoes, fish stock and
>> saffron. Could you do an old man a favor and repost the recipe?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matthew

> MLM, here ya go. I cook this from memory, but I've managed to find the
> original recipe with the correct measurements.
>
> You need:
>
> Good pinch of saffron threads
> 600ml hot chicken or veg stock (cube will suffice)
> 12 medium-sized spuds, peeled (floury, not waxy)
> 6 tbsp EVOO
> 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
> a bunch of fresh thyme
> chopped anchovies
> S&P
>
> 1: Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5. Soak the saffron threads in 2 tbsp
> of the hot stock for 10 minutes, then stir into the remaining stock.
>
> 2: Cut the spuds into thin slices, keeping the slices of each potato
> together. Place the potatoes on a buttered deep baking tray, fanning out the
> slices into a single layer.
>
> 3: Pour over the EVOO, season (go easy on the salt, the anchovies are plenty
> salty), then scatter with the garlic, thyme and anchovies. Pour the hot
> saffron stock over the potatoes and bake uncovered for 75 minutes, basting
> 2-3 times, until the liquid is almost absorbed and the potatoes start to
> crisp.
>
> 4: Place whole scored fish (trout, salmon, snapper, etc) which has been
> generously coated in additional EVOO on top of spuds and bake uncovered
> until done.
>
> The only word of warning I can give is not to add too much saffron,
> otherwise the saffron overpowers the other flavours.
>
> You'll only make that mistake once.

The price of saffron ($5/g) makes me tend to use too little:-)

Thanks for posting the recipe.

I recall using salmon stock instead of chicken. I always have both on
hand. I think I'll try it with chicken this time. I have a couple of
wild Alaskan salmon butts (~2# each) that I froze specifically for this
recipe and I want to use them before the weather warms and I end up
grilling them.

I might try varying this with chicken pieces, too. Some chicken fat on
those potatoes would really be good.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

<snippage>

> The price of saffron ($5/g) makes me tend to use too little:-)

Ebay can be your friend. Loads on offer.

> Thanks for posting the recipe.

My pleasure.

Graeme