Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Well?

"Do we, as humans, having an ability to reason and to communicate
abstract ideas verbally and in writing, and to form ethical and moral
judgements using the accumulated knowledge of the ages, have the right
to take the lives of other sentient organisms, particularly when we are
not forced to do so by hunger or dietary need, but rather to do so for
the somewhat frivolous reason that we like the taste of meat? In
essence, should we know better?" Peter Cheeke

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>,
wrote:

> "Do we, as humans, having an ability to reason and to communicate
> abstract ideas verbally and in writing, and to form ethical and moral
> judgements using the accumulated knowledge of the ages, have the right
> to take the lives of other sentient organisms, particularly when we are
> not forced to do so by hunger or dietary need, but rather to do so for
> the somewhat frivolous reason that we like the taste of meat? In
> essence, should we know better?" Peter Cheeke

Yes, I know: "Please don't feed the trolls!" But I couldn't resist doing
a Google search on this Peter Cheeke, who turns out to be neither a
vegetarian or a proponent of vegetarianism. In fact, he is a Professor
Emeritus of Animal Sciences at Oregon State University!

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/animal-s...lty/cheeke.htm

He has also written several books, one of which is apparently quite
controversial, in that it criticizes so-called "factory farming" of
livestock destined for consumers' dinner tables.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...n98/animal.htm

The troll that posted this message quoted Cheeke asking the questions,
"do we...have the right to take the lives of other sentient
organisms...for the somwhat frivolous reason that we like the taste of
meat?...should we know better?", but he neglected to quote Cheeke's own
answers to those questions. I wonder why? Surely that quote wasn't taken
out of context gratuitously??

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stan Marks" > wrote in message
<liberal snippage>
> Yes, I know: "Please don't feed the trolls!" But I couldn't resist doing
> a Google search on this Peter Cheeke, who turns out to be neither a
> vegetarian or a proponent of vegetarianism.

Stan, I think you're missing the point. The vegan troll is posting
information that livestock is an inefficient use of resources. He's saying
that the cattle, hogs, chickens, etc. are eating up all of our grain and
drinking our precious water. I think he's right! It's time we all
redoubled our efforts to rid the planet of this livestock scourge. I, for
one, am going to start cooking even more meat. Only if we all sacrifice, do
our part, and eat more meat will we be able to save our planet.

C'mon people, won't you join this noble cause? Planning a nice pasta
dinner? Add some meatballs! Having a salad for lunch? Throw in some nice
ham. And for breakfast - bacon and eggs! This will help rid the world of
those pesky hogs _and_ contribute to birth control in the poultry
population.

Carnivores of the world - rise up, unite! Eat more meat before it's too
late.