Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ

Default A moment of silence, please

And, hats off in respect, if you don't mind!

One of the finest BBQ places in the universe has closed its doors
today. SuperSmokers, the only St. Louis BBQ joint featured in
Raichlen's "BBQ USA," is out of business. Their pulled pork won
awards, and I must say, it was very tasty every time I got it.

Now, when I'm out of home-cooked Q, it's going to be a difficult
choice. Bandana's is the fast food of BBQ joints around here, and it
tastes just like it. There's always Phil's BBQ on Gravois in Affton
for your basic hole-in-the-wall (but pretty good Q) place, but it's a
tad out of the way for us West County folks.

Guess I'll just have to go to Kansas City and load up for the ride
home!

--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Reyer

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:16:29 -0600, EZ
> wrote:

>And, hats off in respect, if you don't mind!
>
>One of the finest BBQ places in the universe has closed its doors
>today. SuperSmokers, the only St. Louis BBQ joint featured in
>Raichlen's "BBQ USA," is out of business. Their pulled pork won
>awards, and I must say, it was very tasty every time I got it.
>
>Now, when I'm out of home-cooked Q, it's going to be a difficult
>choice. Bandana's is the fast food of BBQ joints around here, and it
>tastes just like it. There's always Phil's BBQ on Gravois in Affton
>for your basic hole-in-the-wall (but pretty good Q) place, but it's a
>tad out of the way for us West County folks.
>
>Guess I'll just have to go to Kansas City and load up for the ride
>home!

Hope you're having a happy New Year despite your loss. Here in Sandy
Eggo, we don't really have any *great* BBQ. There's a place called
BBQ House down the street (about 4 blocks), but when you walk by you
never get that good smokehouse smell. Think it may be because of CA's
restrictive laws... their stuff *is* tender at least....

I've got a couple of 6 lb butt roasts on... I *intend* on pulling 'em
at about 4:30 PM. Good to see another VB&G denizen up here.

Steve in Sandy Eggo
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

EZ wrote:
> And, hats off in respect, if you don't mind!
>
> One of the finest BBQ places in the universe has closed its doors
> today. SuperSmokers, the only St. Louis BBQ joint featured in
> Raichlen's "BBQ USA," is out of business. Their pulled pork won
> awards, and I must say, it was very tasty every time I got it.

Can't think of the joints name right now--lady by the name of Rachael has a
place on the northside that is supposed to be pretty good!! Don't 'member
the name though

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Default User

EZ wrote:

> And, hats off in respect, if you don't mind!
>
> One of the finest BBQ places in the universe has closed its doors
> today. SuperSmokers, the only St. Louis BBQ joint featured in
> Raichlen's "BBQ USA," is out of business. Their pulled pork won
> awards, and I must say, it was very tasty every time I got it.

Ah, you beat me to it. It's disappointing, as it was a place I could
recommend with a clear conscience to visitors.

> Now, when I'm out of home-cooked Q, it's going to be a difficult
> choice. Bandana's is the fast food of BBQ joints around here, and it
> tastes just like it. There's always Phil's BBQ on Gravois in Affton
> for your basic hole-in-the-wall (but pretty good Q) place, but it's a
> tad out of the way for us West County folks.

There's a place I haven't tried yet that looks very promising. It's
called "Red the Barbecue Man". They're in an old hamburger stand on
Bermuda Road in Ferguson MO, no indoor seating. They have several big
barrel smokers cranking on the days they're open, unfortunately only
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

When they are open, there's always a good-sized line of folks queued
(heh) up and waiting. Not the right kind of place to take visitors, but
might be righteous for carryout.

Brian