Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> adjust the heat. In cooler
> weather
>
> I have a hard time keeping the
> heat high enough especially on
> windy days. I can get the
>
> internal meat temp up to 170
> (cooking butts) but then wrap
> in foil and finish in the oven

Sorry about the haiku format. Hopefully I fixed it.

Ric

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

Default no pan

My Meco heating element slowly burned itself out and finally quit.
Replacement of that plus the cord approached fifty bucks. I bought the
charcoal pan Meco has for the same smoker, and it will get up to 225F, or so
but no more than that.
Save the $50 for downpayment on the WSM, the next time Amazon has a free
shipping offer. You SO will give you the balance if you if you can't save it
until then.

"Ric" > wrote in message
>I have an electric Meco smoker
> with a dial that let's you
> adjust the heat. In cooler
> weather
>
> I have a hard time keeping the
> heat high enough especially on
> windy days. I can get the
>
> internal meat temp up to 170
> (cooking butts) but then wrap
> in foil and finish in the oven
>
> to get to 190. Comes out great
> but I would rather finish it
> outside. I use lump and
> hickory
>
> chunks in the bottom next to
> the element. I have tried
> water in the pan, sand in the
> pan,
>
> empty pan. I suspect that
> maybe my element might not get
> as hot as it used to. My
> question
>
> is can I go with no pan at
> all?
>

> Ric in Rock Hill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ric

"Kent" > wrote in message
news
> My Meco heating element slowly burned itself out and
finally quit.
> Replacement of that plus the cord approached fifty bucks.

I bought the
> charcoal pan Meco has for the same smoker, and it will get

up to 225F, or so
> but no more than that.
> Save the $50 for downpayment on the WSM, the next time

Amazon has a free
> shipping offer. You SO will give you the balance if you if

you can't save it
> until then.

Thanks for the advice and confirming my suspicions about the
element wearing out.

I hope to get a WSM in the next couple of months.

Ric in Rock Hill