Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WSM Turkey cooking.

Can someone point me to the best instructions on cooking large turkey
in WSM please.
I've only done ribs and chicken so far.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Can someone point me to the best instructions on cooking large turkey
> in WSM please.
> I've only done ribs and chicken so far.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

We did a turkey just the other day at 335 in the WSM, no water pan. It took
about 3 hours, but I don't know what size the turkey was; 12 pounds maybe?
We cooked it until 170 internal temp in the breast. It came out
beautifully.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > Can someone point me to the best instructions on cooking large turkey
> > in WSM please.
> > I've only done ribs and chicken so far.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mark
> >

> We did a turkey just the other day at 335 in the WSM, no water pan. It took
> about 3 hours, but I don't know what size the turkey was; 12 pounds maybe?
> We cooked it until 170 internal temp in the breast. It came out
> beautifully.
>
> kili

"No water pan" meaning no water in the pan or no pan at all ?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > > Can someone point me to the best instructions on cooking large turkey
> > > in WSM please.
> > > I've only done ribs and chicken so far.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Mark
> > >

> > We did a turkey just the other day at 335 in the WSM, no water pan. It

took
> > about 3 hours, but I don't know what size the turkey was; 12 pounds

maybe?
> > We cooked it until 170 internal temp in the breast. It came out
> > beautifully.
> >
> > kili

> "No water pan" meaning no water in the pan or no pan at all ?

No pan at all. Let the drippings fall where they may.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the best
gravy flavor come from this.
Happy Thanksgiving to All.
Kent

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

>> > ps.com...

>> > We did a turkey just the other day at 335 in the WSM, no water pan. It

> took
>> > about 3 hours, but I don't know what size the turkey was; 12 pounds

> maybe?
>> > We cooked it until 170 internal temp in the breast. It came out
>> > beautifully.
>> >
>> > kili

>> "No water pan" meaning no water in the pan or no pan at all ?
>>

> No pan at all. Let the drippings fall where they may.
>
> kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Kent" > wrote in message
> You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the

best
> gravy flavor come from this.
> Happy Thanksgiving to All.
> Kent

In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB

kilikini wrote:
:: "Kent" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of
the best
::: gravy flavor come from this.
::: Happy Thanksgiving to All.
::: Kent
::
:: In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
::
:: kili

That's only after you've brined the bird overnight on the patio or in
the garage. Works for Kent.
(YMMV)
'-)

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

BOB wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
> :: "Kent" > wrote in message
> :: ...
> ::: You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of
> the best
> ::: gravy flavor come from this.
> ::: Happy Thanksgiving to All.
> ::: Kent
> ::
> :: In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
> ::
> :: kili
>
> That's only after you've brined the bird overnight on the patio or in
> the garage. Works for Kent.
> (YMMV)
> '-)

It's working for me, right now. Overnite low is expected to be 23F. It
didn't get up to 40F all day. A 26# turkey has been brining since 7:00PM
last night. I'm planning on bringing it in at 7:00AM tomorrow to rinse
and dry before stuffing and getting on the K7 at 10:00AM.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:54:49 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Kent" > wrote in message
>> You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the

>best
>> gravy flavor come from this.
>> Happy Thanksgiving to All.
>> Kent

>In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
>
>kili

He probably uses sand, kili. ;0)

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:54:49 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Kent" > wrote in message
> >> You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the

> >best
> >> gravy flavor come from this.
> >> Happy Thanksgiving to All.
> >> Kent

> >In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
> >
> >kili
> >

> He probably uses sand, kili. ;0)
>
> Harry

Hee hee hee!

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> BOB wrote:
> > kilikini wrote:
> > :: "Kent" > wrote in message
> > :: ...
> > ::: You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of
> > the best
> > ::: gravy flavor come from this.
> > ::: Happy Thanksgiving to All.
> > ::: Kent
> > ::
> > :: In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
> > ::
> > :: kili
> >
> > That's only after you've brined the bird overnight on the patio or in
> > the garage. Works for Kent.
> > (YMMV)
> > '-)
> >

> It's working for me, right now. Overnite low is expected to be 23F. It
> didn't get up to 40F all day. A 26# turkey has been brining since 7:00PM
> last night. I'm planning on bringing it in at 7:00AM tomorrow to rinse
> and dry before stuffing and getting on the K7 at 10:00AM.
>
> Matthew

Lucky you! You can save on 'fridge space then!

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matthew L. Martin

kilikini wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>
>> BOB wrote:
>>
>>>kilikini wrote:
>>>:: "Kent" > wrote in message
>>>:: ...
>>>::: You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of
>>>the best
>>>::: gravy flavor come from this.
>>>::: Happy Thanksgiving to All.
>>>::: Kent
>>>::
>>>:: In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
>>>::
>>>:: kili
>>>
>>>That's only after you've brined the bird overnight on the patio or in
>>>the garage. Works for Kent.
>>>(YMMV)
>>>'-)
>>>

>>It's working for me, right now. Overnite low is expected to be 23F. It
>>didn't get up to 40F all day. A 26# turkey has been brining since 7:00PM
>>last night. I'm planning on bringing it in at 7:00AM tomorrow to rinse
>>and dry before stuffing and getting on the K7 at 10:00AM.
>>
>>Matthew
>>

> Lucky you! You can save on 'fridge space then!

Yeah, lucky me. There is an inch of snow on the ground and more coming.
That's all right. I haven't had a white Thanksgiving in quite a while.

The turkey rinsed and paper towel dry. It is in the fridge. I had to
take a shelf out to make room for it.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®

Kent wrote:
> You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the best
> gravy flavor come from this.

But in the mind of a purist, it's not real BBQ if there's anything
between the meat and the fire.

With the water pan in place it's really smoke roasted.

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

You use a Weber drip pan under the turkey. You don't add water to it.

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the

> best
>> gravy flavor come from this.
>> Happy Thanksgiving to All.
>> Kent

> In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
>
> kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

The garage temperature in my location was 36F the night before Thanksgiving.
You can add some ice in a ziplock bag if there is concern about temp. during
the day.
Never had a problem.
Kent

" BOB" > wrote in message
news
> kilikini wrote:
> :: "Kent" > wrote in message
> :: ...
> ::: You always want to save your pan drippings to make gravy. Some of the
> best
> ::: gravy flavor come from this.
> ::: Happy Thanksgiving to All.
> ::: Kent
> ::
> :: In a water pan? Um, yeah, sure. Try again, Kent.
> ::
> :: kili
>
> That's only after you've brined the bird overnight on the patio or in the
> garage. Works for Kent.
> (YMMV)
> '-)
>
> BOB
>

> --
> Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

You can't roast turkey with coals underneath. You will burn the skin through
and dry the meat out if you do. The cooking time it takes heat to get from
the surface to the center of the turkey makes that impossible.

You use a dry Weber drip pan, with coals in the Weber or any basket on
either side, and chunks of
wood on either side for the smoke flavor.

Cooking a Frozen Turkey Tim Recipes 0 18-12-2005 04:23 PM
Cooking the turkey question? Joseph Littleshoes General Cooking 8 25-11-2005 11:03 PM
Cooking a Frozen Turkey Tim Recipes 0 21-08-2005 02:47 PM
cooking a turkey leah1314 General Cooking 7 03-03-2004 07:51 PM
cooking turkey jacqueline wright General Cooking 4 01-12-2003 07:14 PM