Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Van

Default Ping GENE - Requested Chicken Recipe

Back on 11/6 there was a request for this recipe (sauce applied to birds at
large barbecues).

This recipe was developed by Cornell University, and is now commonly used by
hundreds of fire departments & fraternal organizations, as well as featured
at several state fairs.

The chickens are cooked in HALVES on racks holding 25-30 each. The racks
are placed on cinder-block pits, either 3 or 4 blocks high, depending upon
the pit.

Cornell Chicken

25 Halves 50 Halves 100 Halves

Wesson Oil 2 cups 3 Cups 6 Cups
Cider Vinegar 4 Cups 6 Cups 3 Quarts
Eggs 4 6 12
Salt 1/2 Cup 1 Cup 1 3/4 Cups
Pepper 1.5 Tsp 2 Tsp 4Tsp
Poultry Seasoning 2 Tblsp 4 Tblsp 1/3 Cup

IMPORTANT: Mix in this fashion:
Beat Eggs, then whip in oil to make a mayo-type consistency.
Blend in dry spices well.
Finally, add vinegar & mix well.

Cook chickens over pit for 5 minutes without sauce to get fat
melting, then baste with sauce & cook for 1 hour & 45 minutes
or so. Practice makes perfect!!

It takes about 1 1/2 - 1.75 hours to properly cook the chickens. The
result is
awesome!

I have one of these pits in my back yard (but can only cook 60 halves/3
racks on mine). I probably average 4 - 5 barbeques a season. When I do,
the neighbors know it, I'll tell ya!

Van