Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

Default Grilling Turkey on the charcoal Weber

Hi,

I routinely roast brined 12-14 lb turkeys on the 22" charcoal Weber with
great results. A friend wants to do this with a 24 lb turkey.
Have any roasted a bird this large in the same fashion?
Thanks for your advice,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

Kent wrote:

> Have any roasted a bird this large in the same fashion?
> Thanks for your advice,

I have done that size, and slightly bigger, on my Kamado, so I don't think
you will have a problem at all. Just use the time recommendations as a
guideline, just as you would for an oven. I usually use the technique that
Alton Brown does for his turkey:

.................begin quote.............

A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees. Combine the apple,
onion, cinnamon stick, and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and
microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard
brine.

Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper
towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck
back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.

Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove
from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe
thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing
temperature to 350 degrees F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161
degrees. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of
roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com