Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Allen Epps

Default Any production hints?

All,
Heading off to deer camp Friday so Thursday I'm taking off work to get
all the gear finalized etc and I'll be doing eight baby back ribs on the
smoker to take and reheat for dinner down there. It's on a SIlver Smoker
so I'm thinking two batches of four but are there any other hint for
doing this larger batches? Most I've ever done before now was two racks
at a time.

Cheers,

Allen
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Allen Epps

In article >,
Allen Epps > wrote:

> All,
> Heading off to deer camp Friday so Thursday I'm taking off work to get
> all the gear finalized etc and I'll be doing eight baby back ribs on the
> smoker to take and reheat for dinner down there. It's on a SIlver Smoker
> so I'm thinking two batches of four but are there any other hint for
> doing this larger batches? Most I've ever done before now was two racks
> at a time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Allen

Umm I guess I should point out that's eight RACKS of baby back, not just
eight ribs

Allen
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Allen Epps wrote:
> In article >,
> Allen Epps > wrote:
>

>>All,
>>Heading off to deer camp Friday so Thursday I'm taking off work to get
>>all the gear finalized etc and I'll be doing eight baby back ribs on the
>>smoker to take and reheat for dinner down there. It's on a SIlver Smoker
>>so I'm thinking two batches of four but are there any other hint for
>>doing this larger batches? Most I've ever done before now was two racks
>>at a time.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Allen

> Umm I guess I should point out that's eight RACKS of baby back, not just
> eight ribs
>
> Allen

I'm not familiar with that unit so I'm not sure how much room you've got
but you could always use what I'll call the "stand up" method. Take a
rack and bend in into a circle like a crown roast. Either skewer the
ends or loosly tie with butchers twine and stand 'em up.

Not really my preference but it'll work in a pinch.

I'm headed out to extreme northern Maine Thanksgiving week for
whitetails and then a 14 hour drive from there over to PA for their
opening week. Good luck to ya! Except for the two drives involved I'm
really looking forward to two weeks of peace and quiet in the woods.

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 7-Nov-2005, Allen Epps > wrote:

> All,
> Heading off to deer camp Friday so Thursday I'm taking off work to get
> all the gear finalized etc and I'll be doing eight baby back ribs on the
> smoker to take and reheat for dinner down there. It's on a SIlver Smoker
> so I'm thinking two batches of four but are there any other hint for
> doing this larger batches? Most I've ever done before now was two racks
> at a time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Allen

If you have or can procure rib racks, do that. Buy some extra fire grates for
the cook chamber and cook in two layers. They'll fit easily that way. Crown
a couple of them and they should just about fit on the regular cook grate
in one layer. Stack them three deep and rotate them every thirty minutes,
bottom to top. I've done that successfully with spares. It extends the cook
time perhaps 30%, but nevertheless, it get's the job done in the space you
have.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Allen Epps

In article >,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 7-Nov-2005, Allen Epps > wrote:
>
> > All,
> > Heading off to deer camp Friday so Thursday I'm taking off work to get
> > all the gear finalized etc and I'll be doing eight baby back ribs on the
> > smoker to take and reheat for dinner down there. It's on a SIlver Smoker
> > so I'm thinking two batches of four but are there any other hint for
> > doing this larger batches? Most I've ever done before now was two racks
> > at a time.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Allen

> If you have or can procure rib racks, do that. Buy some extra fire grates for
> the cook chamber and cook in two layers. They'll fit easily that way. Crown
> a couple of them and they should just about fit on the regular cook grate
> in one layer. Stack them three deep and rotate them every thirty minutes,
> bottom to top. I've done that successfully with spares. It extends the cook
> time perhaps 30%, but nevertheless, it get's the job done in the space you
> have.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple rib racks and spare racks
for the smoker so that rotate idea might be best.

Steve,
Enjoy Maine. It'll be a bit warmer in Kentucky for our opener!

Allen

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Allen Epps wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple rib racks and spare racks
> for the smoker so that rotate idea might be best.
>
> Steve,
> Enjoy Maine. It'll be a bit warmer in Kentucky for our opener!
>
> Allen

Yeah probably Allen. But I'm not impressed with the forecast up around
Aslhand. Lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's for the next ten days.
Someone needs to turn the heat down up there!

I'm looking forward to the week there and also the following week in NE PA.

I hope that we both have some good stuff to cook when we get back.

Feel free to email me when you get back. I'd love to hear how you made
out. The address above is valid.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than just one night"

Hints for diabetics roger woods Diabetic 1 20-12-2009 08:11 PM
Health Hints worldhealthdays.com General Cooking 4 31-07-2006 02:22 AM
Hints Dimitri General Cooking 18 14-07-2005 01:12 PM
Hints, please, and some weirdness... Ian Hayward Wine 3 10-06-2004 10:01 PM
Hints for a beginner. Tom and Shelley Winemaking 7 31-10-2003 01:31 AM