Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Peter Newman

Default San Antonio Q

I'll be in SA for one night. Any suggestions? Brisket for me, my wife will
tolerate chicken.

Peter

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
F.G. Whitfurrows

Peter Newman wrote:
> I'll be in SA for one night. Any suggestions? Brisket for me, my
> wife will tolerate chicken.
>
> Peter

Tom's Ribs on Nagodoches Rd is supposed to be good. Smoked turkey is on the
menu for your wife. Ribs are the specialty but brisket is bound to be
available, it Texas after all.

If ya wanna drive a bit look for cooper's in Llano and The Salt Lick outside
of Austin.

--
The High Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Wooaaa.... hahaa... Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer or magic shrooms accepted in lieu of cash payment
ROFL!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2kewl-AlamoCityGypsyMC

Where are you from? Rudy's is pretty awesome - and as a bonus your
eating at a gas station! The original is out 10, about 10 miles from
town - Leon Springs exit. Turkey is the best I've every had. Do you
have a car or relying on something close to downtown?
What night are you in town? I can have directions to anywhere you need
to go.
Also Blue Cactus Cafe is not far from the airport, very kid friendly,
and good chicken fried steak, ribs and brisket is good there too.
2-kewl, Alamo City Gypsy M/C

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Peter Newman

Thanks for the details. Is the "Rudy's" part of the chain I've tried in
Austin? Pretty good. We'll be driving in on 10 from Houston. We're
thinking of doing someting touristy. Will we be really disappointed if we
go to Rita's on the River. It's got Q and some Mexican for the spousal
unit. We're not expecting great, just fun...

Peter

"2kewl-AlamoCityGypsyMC" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Where are you from? Rudy's is pretty awesome - and as a bonus your
> eating at a gas station! The original is out 10, about 10 miles from
> town - Leon Springs exit. Turkey is the best I've every had. Do you
> have a car or relying on something close to downtown?
> What night are you in town? I can have directions to anywhere you need
> to go.
> Also Blue Cactus Cafe is not far from the airport, very kid friendly,
> and good chicken fried steak, ribs and brisket is good there too.
> 2-kewl, Alamo City Gypsy M/C

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2kewl-AlamoCityGypsyMC

Rudy's is the same in Austin - and your not expecting Great, just fun -
then ya gotta check out here - http://www.texaspridebbq.com/
Its also on your way in, just get off the 1604 exit.
Real personable place - good food, decent prices
2kewl - Alamo City Gypsy M/C

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2kewl-AlamoCityGypsyMC

Here is a rating on the place I listed above
Texas Pride Barbeque
2980 E. Loop 1604 S.
Adkins, TX 78101-9479
Phone: (210)649-3730
Map it using MapQuest

Hack and Duff's Rating
12.75

Category Duff's Rating Hack's Rating
Brisket 3 3.5
BBQ Sauce 2 2.5
Sausage 3.5 1.5
Turkey 3 3
Potato Salad 1 2.5
Total 12.5 13

Duff's Comments

BRISKET... smokey, moist. SAUCE... SAUSAGE...dry, not greasy. TURKEY...
POTATO SALAD...

Hack's Comments

BRISKET... very tasty, smokey and tender. SAUCE... the mild sauce is
good, but the flavor is too subtle, the spicy sauce is too spicy. A mix
of the two sauces might be best. SAUSAGE... bland with tough casings.
TURKEY... better than average, but not great. POTATO SALAD... looked
good, but the flavor wasn't there and the potatoes were undercooked.
Notes: Last visited on August 17, 2002 for lunch
Duff had the Beef & Sausage combo with two sides. Hack had a half pound
of turkey and a side of potato salad. The total cost with large soft
drinks was $16.49.

Send comments to Hack or Duff
Created: Sat June 1, 2002 by Hack and Duff
Last updated: Mon August 19, 2002 by Hack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BillN

You probably already know this, but you will be passing City Market in
Luling on the way from Houston to SA. It's my current favorite for TX
barbeque.